Aug 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi Everyone,
I am prepping for a retake and would appreciate some advice on what I should be using to study. I took my mcat last week and I found the Cars and Biology/Biochem section to be fairly doable. I struggled with some calculations on the Chem/physics section and there was a bunch of psych terms I never had seen. So now im left with figuring out how to prep for this again in a month. For content I have used TBR chem/physics, TPR biology book, Kaplan biochem, and TPR psych/sociology.

Should I bother doing the Khan Academy passages for everything?
I am thinking of doing the BR books for orgo/chem/physics/bio again since its been a while. Should I do this for Khan Academy?
And lastly, should I do the TPR hyperlearning workbook to improve the chem/physics section? I have a good grasp of the content i just need more practice (i think lol)

Any advice will be great.

dushash

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
here
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Psych/sociology is a tricky one. As of now it appears that there is no single source which has it all. Just use Khan for psych/sociology and try to gasp as much terminology as possible. For Chem/Physics my choice would be Kaplan material and EK tests but I'm in minority I guess on this. Can you share your scores so far?

OP
fleur64
Aug 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Psych/sociology is a tricky one. As of now it appears that there is no single source which has it all. Just use Khan for psych/sociology and try to gasp as much terminology as possible. For Chem/Physics my choice would be Kaplan material and EK tests but I'm in minority I guess on this. Can you share your scores so far?
I have done the EK tests for Chem/physics already. I did alright on them (more wrong than I would like). As of now, I have taken 3 TPR tests, averaging around 514. The AAMC sample test I got a 512. The official guide was much lower, I got about 20/30 correct for each section. My EK 3 and 4 exam scores were 512 and 513. Idk y I found my real exam to be so tough. So now I am back trying to practice more.

bearintraining

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
OH
Status
Medical Student, Post Doc
I really loved EK for content.. its at about the right level of depth needed for the exam. Psych and Soc is missing a ton of topics though, which you can try to learn from Khan, but its not ideal either (I find they dont "cut to the chase" in the Khan videos).

OP
fleur64
Aug 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
what do you suggest I should use for practice? Khan or EK?