A new DO school in Pennsylvania (whoot whoot)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinhobbes

Attending Physician and Preceptor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stealing @jkdoctor ‘s thunder here for a moment ;) but breaking news:

Interesting how this will affect UPMC or LECOM, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably a plan that is going to fall in the water.

Posts like these make me laugh every single time because no matter what location, school lineage or reasoning behind the formation of the school it’s always the same response: f*** that s***!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoot! Whoot! Whoot!
It never ends.
Nearly five years later, that imagined pursuit is beginning to look like a success. The Minnesota College of Osteopathic Medicine, co-founded by Keithahn, is renovating the old school, developing curriculum and working to win accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association. If all goes well, the school plans to open in the fall of 2020 with an inaugural class of 75 students.

Reactions: 4 users
Whoot! Whoot! Whoot!
It never ends.
Nearly five years later, that imagined pursuit is beginning to look like a success. The Minnesota College of Osteopathic Medicine, co-founded by Keithahn, is renovating the old school, developing curriculum and working to win accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association. If all goes well, the school plans to open in the fall of 2020 with an inaugural class of 75 students.

Only 75? That's a little too responsible. How do you make sweet Med School Money off of that? Better pump those numbers up to 200 just to be sure, rotations and match rate be darned.

Reactions: 2 users

One would think first 9 medical schools in PA are able to provide the needed physicians for the state. Their year-long study must have been very rigorous in finding prospective patients...

Reactions: 1 users
One would think first 9 medical schools in PA are able to provide the needed physicians for the state. Their year-long study must have been very rigorous in finding prospective patients...

Well, they do make a point in a way. There are 4 medical schools in Philadelphia and only two in all of western PA.
Either way, a sizable amount of people in my class from PA are from the Pittsburgh area

Reactions: 3 users
Lol, at least this school is not likely to see the light of day. 2023 is way too late to opening a school, need to bump that timeline upto next year.

Lol, at least this school is not likely to see the light of day. 2023 is way too late to opening a school, need to bump that timeline upto next year.

Don't give them any ideas.

These *****ic states don’t realize the only way to improve primary care shortages in their rural areas is to incentivize students with **** they care about so they do it. Like if you attend our school and promise to do rural primary care ur tuition goes down by half!

These *****ic states don’t realize the only way to improve primary care shortages in their rural areas is to incentivize students with **** they care about so they do it. Like if you attend our school and promise to do rural primary care ur tuition goes down by half!
No they know what their doing. If you flood your market with PA's, NP's and MD/DO's they will eventually saturate the cities and be forced into the rural areas. It worked that way for nursing/pharmacy already, and you don't have to do expensive subsidies, all you have to do is keep approving new schools. As an added benefit those people stimulate the local economy's by paying huge tuition in places that don't really have anything else going for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
No they know what their doing. If you flood your market with PA's, NP's and MD/DO's they will eventually saturate the cities and be forced into the rural areas. It worked that way for nursing already, and you don't have to do expensive subsidies, all you have to do is keep approving new schools. As an added benefit those people stimulate the local economy's by paying huge tuition in places that don't really have anything else going for it.

I understand that logic but first you’re not forcing anyone to stay within your state cuz they’ll likely practice where they do residency so if you don’t have any residencies at teaching hospitals as most do schools don’t, what percentage of your class is actually staying in the state? Secondly, you’re doing a disservice to the profession by overflooding it with practitioners IF you cannot somehow force or incentivize them to stay in the state. Also let’s not pretend like it’s not for extra money in the pockets for the school and the politicians while masquerading it as a “pc shortage in the future so we need to build it”

as much as everyone poops on lecom here I actually think they’re good for letting students finish in 3 years if they promise to go into Im or family. What a concept.

We have more than one med school in our state and reimbursement is so low that residents can merely cross a state line and get a pay raise. We have a hard time getting residents to stay

Wow, that's surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if LECOM fights it, but the AOA/COCA tend not to like LECOM, so I doubt it'll be an issue. UPMC may fight it as well, but as long as the school pays them a premium for rotations, it might still fly.

Duquesne has been talking about a med school for what feels like forever. Back in the stone ages when I was in college, they had a linkage program that I unfortunately didn't find out about until after I was already somewhere else. Sweet program, where if you maintained a 3.25 GPA and got a 27 MCAT you had an instant interview at affiliates like Temple and Drexel.

I think the school probably would do well though, because Duquesne already has strong PA, pharmacy, law, and nursing programs. It would have been easier before Mercy was bought out by UPMC, but I think if they are sending students to rotate at both UPMC and Allegheny/Highmark sites they might be able to support all the rotators. That said, with Hahnemann closing and LECOM-Elmira opening, things might be tight at AGH/Forbes.

Wow, that's surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if LECOM fights it, but the AOA/COCA tend not to like LECOM, so I doubt it'll be an issue. UPMC may fight it as well, but as long as the school pays them a premium for rotations, it might still fly.

Duquesne has been talking about a med school for what feels like forever. Back in the stone ages when I was in college, they had a linkage program that I unfortunately didn't find out about until after I was already somewhere else. Sweet program, where if you maintained a 3.25 GPA and got a 27 MCAT you had an instant interview at affiliates like Temple and Drexel.

I think the school probably would do well though, because Duquesne already has strong PA, pharmacy, law, and nursing programs. It would have been easier before Mercy was bought out by UPMC, but I think if they are sending students to rotate at both UPMC and Allegheny/Highmark sites they might be able to support all the rotators. That said, with Hahnemann closing and LECOM-Elmira opening, things might be tight at AGH/Forbes.
Thank you for sharing this.

Was Hahnemann a rotation site for LECOM?

Currently rotating in Pennsylvania (and i'm from a school in georgia). I've noticed a lot of schools have rotation sites in Pennsylvania as well.

Wondering how the schools that utilize these open slots here will be affected by moves like this. Only time will tell i guess.

No, Drexel, but AGH is also a Drexel (and Temple) site, so I wouldn't be surprised if they send more students there after the closure.

Many more were sent there because of Hahnemann.