Whoot! Whoot! BCOM opening new campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (COMs) that will be reviewed at the December 2021 meeting:

• Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • Additional Location and Planned Class Size Increase Application
    • Planned Class Size Increase – Follow Up

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (COMs) that will be reviewed at the December 2021 meeting:

• Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • Additional Location and Planned Class Size Increase Application
    • Planned Class Size Increase – Follow Up
I'm sure glad the COCA just received a five year renewal from the U.S. Department of Education to continue their incompetence! This organization has demonstrated time and time again, that they value investor's goals and objectives more than the overall reputation of the profession. How many new DO programs will this loser of an organization approve over the next five years?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you see University of Northern Colorado is trying to start a new DO school?
Yeah...I saw it. Perfect timing, since the University of Colorado's Med School just opened up a branch campus in Fort Collins at Colorado State. Only about 2% of the residents at the University of Colorado's Med Center are DO's. So good luck, if the new DO program at the University of Northern Colorado ever comes into existence.

Oh, ferchrissake!!!! Nothing like getting in on the gravy train.
You're so right and although some will cheer, it's not a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember not applying to BCOM in the 2019-2020 cycle because the low board pass rates scared me off. (No offense to anyone applying or attending, just felt I needed strong guidance from admin/faculty as a non-trad with no study skills.) How did they get the green light on this one?

I remember not applying to BCOM in the 2019-2020 cycle because the low board pass rates scared me off. (No offense to anyone applying or attending, just felt I needed strong guidance from admin/faculty as a non-trad with no study skills.) How did they get the green light on this one?
It's a plan. They haven't gotten the green light yet.

Well on the plus side anyone can be a doctor now! Errr sorry “provider.” Lower that bar until its below ground baby. We flood the field with DOs MDs jenny NP DNP atls pals wtfbbq, physician “associates” etc and we can all go down together in the burning ship that is medicine. Just let me pay my loans off and have a bit for retirement before medicine is completely destroyed. Ugh

lol SDN is always doom and gloom. My school holds specialty seminars and just showed us EM is averaging $350k in our region, $300k for academics (and $380k at full professorships) for working ~36 hrs/week w/4 weeks vacation. Yet, if you look at SDN you'd think EM docs are lining up for food stamps and begging for $150k contracts
Your school is wrong... very very wrong. Eventhough sdn is very doom and gloom, the current market in EM is horrendous and unlikely to change for a while. My school has multiple affiliated EM, residencies and I have spoken to residents and they are having a hard time getting jobs right now. Many are moving to the boonies to get way less than $350k. Our dean is double boarded in EM and he has advised against EM unless you can't see your self doing anything else. IM hospitalists are out earning EM

lol SDN is always doom and gloom. My school holds specialty seminars and just showed us EM is averaging $350k in our region, $300k for academics (and $380k at full professorships) for working ~36 hrs/week w/4 weeks vacation. Yet, if you look at SDN you'd think EM docs are lining up for food stamps and begging for $150k contracts
look to the future not the past. Most of my EM friends are entering fellowship to hopefully secure a job afterwards because the job market is bad for them right now.

For EM that's not all that good. For 350k/year that's just over $200/hour. Given that most EPs work nights/weekends/holidays and have pretty stressful days, $200/hour isn't all that good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone posted this EM job offer on Twitter the other day.
Screenshot_20211113-194955_Twitter.jpg
20211113_194751.jpg

• Wow

“your school” So youre a med student and have zero idea the job market in EM. Read the ACEP report showing a surplus of 9000 EM docs by 2030, digest what that means for overall pay and workload for those able to secure a job, and get back to me. In the interim, bury your head in the sand and memorize the krebs cycle for the 47th time while an NP goes to online school and completes a whopping 500 shadowing hours and competes for jobs.

Harsh, ya? Accurate? absolutely.

Reactions: 7 users
Glad I'm getting out this year. It will be quite amusing to watch this system implode on itself in about 15 years.

Glad I'm getting out this year. It will be quite amusing to watch this system implode on itself in about 15 years.
And yet medical education leaders won't care and will find something random to harp on and regulate (such as adding more wellness requirements while doing nothing to resolve the underlying problems)

The problem is the future. Not how its been.

Just about anyone can become a doctor now and they dont even have to attend a carib school to do so in the future (build baby, build). I fear that future med school grads will be heading down the same path as law school grads, or even worse with mid-levels added to the equation. I currently know at least a half dozen law school grads that are not practicing law because they cant find employment. Will doctors not be able to find jobs after finishing residency in the future? is this med school growth sustainable from a residency and employment perspective?

If more DOs means displacing Caribbean students who ONLY memorize/study for the test (Step 1) then forget everything then I'm okay with that. At least DO schools (just like USMDs) produce more well rounded physicians.
Tbh aren’t there like 7k matches from IMG/FMG? ~20% of matches coming from overseas seems excessive. I’m not really defending expansion but I’m not blown away about how it is being allowed.

If more DOs means displacing Caribbean students who ONLY memorize/study for the test (Step 1) then forget everything then I'm okay with that. At least DO schools (just like USMDs) produce more well rounded physicians.
Lol i can imagine the OP of that ridiculous Carib thread seeing this and being enraged by such a proposal

I'm never impressed by any IMG/FMG who scores 240+ and then the rest of them act like ALL of them are scoring 240 when in fact IMGs average <220 and bring down the overall mean. Especially considering all Caribb schools are just a polished USMLE Step 1 bootcamp and most FMGs often take 10 months - 2 years to study for Step 1.

Compare that with 4-10 weeks of dedication for most USMD/DO students who also have to spread their time thin between other clinical and EC obligations.
Oh I agree completely. I was just pointing out how large the actual number is that can be displaced.

Well on the plus side anyone can be a doctor now! Errr sorry “provider.” Lower that bar until its below ground baby. We flood the field with DOs MDs jenny NP DNP atls pals wtfbbq, physician “associates” etc and we can all go down together in the burning ship that is medicine. Just let me pay my loans off and have a bit for retirement before medicine is completely destroyed. Ugh
If we could please bump that prayer up to "just let ME (M1) pay off my loans" I would greatly appreciate it 🙏

Just don't live on the coasts and you'll be fine. COL is $25-$40k cheaper (minimum) in the south/midwest as an attending and you'll also make $50k-$80k MORE. That's easily $100k/year extra
Med students don't get this. You can live in Little Rock or Des Moines or whatever, make $100,000 more than your friend in NYC and just take 1-2 trips per month to your vacation destination of choice. One of my IM preceptors lived in Brooklyn but works 2 weeks per month here in the Midwest, because in NYC he would have apparently started at sub-$200K whereas here he started at $320K. AND they're paying off his student debt for him.

That MGH tag on your white coat will cost you millions over the course of your career. Is the prestige really worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Hospitalists in NYC make nothing. Heard from a PhD in NYP told me fresh-out OB got only 100K for the first year. PPl need to speak another language to make money and also be fast. Know PCPs here in Flushing make 400k-500k 5 days 10hours each day roughly 4-6 patients every hour, one made one million last year because of the COVID, also know some PMRs own PT services in their clinic and hire bunches of street guys to do massage under a PT supervision, that is a lot of revenue. Also there are only one Ortho guy and general surgeon in Flushing who speak Chinese and everyone went to see them
Flushing, Michigan?