A primer for pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a neuroscience major and im going to be a sophomore this fall. ill be taking bio and chem. i never took a chemistry class in high school and im just a lil concerned about not understanding the stuff when i start. i was wondering if it's worth it to read a chemistry primer, like chemistry for dummies or something like that before i start. i usually read alot anyway, i cant live without reading and i was using this summer to take time to enjoy the reading i dont have time for during school like politics or neuroscience, but is it worth it to cut that short and start reviewing for chem or am i being neurotic? and if anyone agrees with getting an early start, do you have any book suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you'll be ok, if your good at math you can handle g-chem pretty well... most of g-chem is plug and chug with some conceptual questions here and there. I took high school chem like in sophomore year, and forgot everything. I didnt even know how to do stoichiometry when i started g-chem. But that didnt stop me from pulling great grades on g-chem this past year. Just remember to read your book, read ahead of time before classes start if you like. Good luck man!

I don't think you need to study chem this summer. Most professors start from the beginning and assume that you've never had the subject before anyway. Just keep up with the problem sets once the semester starts and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, i appreciate the help. im very good at math so i think i should be fine. again, thanks!

Definitely agree with what the posters above said. I hadn't seen any chemistry since 10th grade (that's >10 years ago :eek: ) when I took g-chem last year. It was no problem. A big part of it is just being able to do basic algebra...

You definetly don't need to be good at math to ace g-chem. Just read and do the problems and don't get behind on the syllabus. :thumbup: