A&Q for AZpod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packers4lifeDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thought I would start a thread for anyone looking to get more information about AZpod (Midwestern). Feel free to message me personally or leave a question down below and I'll get back to you asap!!

Members don't see this ad.

Approximately how many times a week do you consume in and out burger? For those of us peasants not on the western side of the country, we have to settle for Five Guys.

Reactions: 4 users
Approximately how many times a week do you consume in and out burger? For those of us peasants not on the western side of the country, we have to settle for Five Guys.

That's funny that you say that!! So I had five guys for the first time this past week. Two of my classmates were arguing over which one is better so one took me to five guys and the other one wants me to try in and out. So i actually have never had it yet lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Thought I would start a thread for anyone looking to get more information about AZpod (Midwestern). Feel free to message me personally or leave a question down below and I'll get back to you asap!!
Does AZPOD school have pods and DOs?

I heard the class size is like 30. Is it more beneficial or less in terms of lectures, studying and student-instructor relationships?

I heard the class size is like 30. Is it more beneficial or less in terms of lectures, studying and student-instructor relationships?

All your classes except your podiatry specific classes are taken with the DO students. So each lecture has about max of 280 kids but not everyone attends lecture. Also next year they are increasing they size of the class to 40 and I believe after that to 50 or 60. I personally love having a small class because our whole class is close and we get great individual teaching experiences in our podiatry classes that I don't think you can get with a class of 100. I also feel that you do get to personally know each professor (podiatry mostly unless you like to visit professors a lot for help) a lot better.

Does that answer your question fully?

Reactions: 1 user
All your classes except your podiatry specific classes are taken with the DO students. So each lecture has about max of 280 kids but not everyone attends lecture. Also next year they are increasing they size of the class to 40 and I believe after that to 50 or 60. I personally love having a small class because our whole class is close and we get great individual teaching experiences in our podiatry classes that I don't think you can get with a class of 100. I also feel that you do get to personally know each professor (podiatry mostly unless you like to visit professors a lot for help) a lot better.

Does that answer your question fully?
Why did you pick AZ over your other acceptances and now that you've been there for a few months are there other benefits that you didn't know about beforehand that reaffirm your decision? Also, is the rigor more than you anticipated? I didn't major in a bio or "pre-med" type major so I definitely get a bit worried my preparedness.

Why did you pick AZ over your other acceptances and now that you've been there for a few months are there other benefits that you didn't know about beforehand that reaffirm your decision?
I chose AZpod over the other schools based on reputation, board scores, area of living, small class size, having all classes with D.O. students, and the feel during my interview.

I'd definitely say having a small class is a lot better than I thought. I also may have got lucky with having such a great class too but as I said above, our interactions with out professors and dean are better than I could have imagine. With talking with upper classes and other resources, I would definitely say that AZpod prepares you to succeed in residency placement and your future careers. I would definitely choose AZpod all over again if I had a chance.

Last edited:
Are u glad u went the pod route instead of DO?

Also I think that no matter where you go

I chose AZpod over the other schools based on reputation, board scores, area of living, small class size, having all classes with D.O. students, and the feel during my interview.

I'd definitely say having a small class is a lot better than I thought. I also may have got lucky with having such a great class too but as I said above, our interactions with out professors and dean are better than I could have imagine. With talking with upper classes and other resources, I would definitely say that AZpod prepares you to succeed in residency placement and your future careers. I would definitely choose AZpod all over again if I had a chance.

Are u glad u went the pod route instead of DO?
Yes, very. I found out about podiatry about August of last year so last cycle I actually applied to both. Had the chance to go D.O. but chose podiatry. A lot of great opportunities and it entails everything I want to do in medicine on a weekly basis (surgery, patient care, biomechanics, etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any single ladies in your pod class and are they as good looking as the physical therapy students?

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any single ladies in your pod class and are they as good looking as the physical therapy students?

Ha ha ha yes there are single girls in my class and it's Arizona, there are good looking girls everywhere lol

Couple questions:

1. Do you live on campus? How do you like it? How late in the cycle did you apply for housing and how did getting the assignment work?
2. How tough are the tests so far (and how often)?
3. What are your thoughts on the quarter system? My undergrad was semester, so I have little knowledge/experience with the quarter system especially at the medical school level.
4. What's your favorite part about the area so far (Glendale specifically within a 20 mile radius of the school)?

Thanks for your help :)

1) I do live on campus and love it. It's a 4 minute walk to class and the campus has pretty much everything I need on a normal day. I think applying for housing first opened for me in March and I applied the first day. Got my first choice, studio with a washer and dryer which is super nice.

2) Well I'm not the best person to ask for how tough the exam are (have all A's) but they aren't easy. I put a lot of time into preparing for exams because that's what I'm paying for, a great education. All of our exams are the same tests the D.O. take so you are getting a full medical schooll education which sets you up well for good residencies and for your future practice.
We normally have at least 1 exam a week with a couple exception weeks. Some weeks you have more. I know 2nd year you tend to have at least 2 a week. Also, this year when we have an anatomy exam (practical and written) we also have histology and embryology that day to but they tie the material together. It's hard to explain that without going through it but I like it.

3) regards to the quarter system, I don't think it really matters so far. It's kind of nice because after each quarter you get a week off (next weeks is finals week so I'll get to know what a week off will feel like lol) but we don't get summers off here which I think is nice because then you stay in the groove of studying. You are learning and taking exams no matter if it's semesters or quarters.

4) I think my favorite part has been the weather! Im from Wisconsin where it is humid all summer long so having dry heat is way better!! Also, there is anything you can possibly need within a 20 minute drive, literally anything... lol i dont have a car right now, trying to save money since im on campus and just uber it or ask for a ride when I need to go somewhere and I have no issues with that.

Hope that answered your questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I do live on campus and love it. It's a 4 minute walk to class and the campus has pretty much everything I need on a normal day. I think applying for housing first opened for me in March and I applied the first day. Got my first choice, studio with a washer and dryer which is super nice.

2) Well I'm not the best person to ask for how tough the exam are (have all A's) but they aren't easy. I put a lot of time into preparing for exams because that's what I'm paying for, a great education. All of our exams are the same tests the D.O. take so you are getting a full medical schooll education which sets you up well for good residencies and for your future practice.
We normally have at least 1 exam a week with a couple exception weeks. Some weeks you have more. I know 2nd year you tend to have at least 2 a week. Also, this year when we have an anatomy exam (practical and written) we also have histology and embryology that day to but they tie the material together. It's hard to explain that without going through it but I like it.

3) regards to the quarter system, I don't think it really matters so far. It's kind of nice because after each quarter you get a week off (next weeks is finals week so I'll get to know what a week off will feel like lol) but we don't get summers off here which I think is nice because then you stay in the groove of studying. You are learning and taking exams no matter if it's semesters or quarters.

4) I think my favorite part has been the weather! Im from Wisconsin where it is humid all summer long so having dry heat is way better!! Also, there is anything you can possibly need within a 20 minute drive, literally anything... lol i dont have a car right now, trying to save money since im on campus and just uber it or ask for a ride when I need to go somewhere and I have no issues with that.

How are your fellow Pod classmates doing so far with their classes and grades?

How are your fellow Pod classmates doing so far with their classes and grades?

I think for the most part everyone is doing well. This school is pretty selective with who they take due to the difficulty of the classes. I could may get you actual stats after our quarter is over with on our class average gpa.

any married students and kids?

No summers off? Even between year 1 and 2?

is that legal? lol
Aren't we supposed to do research and other EC's during the summers off to help ourselves be as competitive as possible for top residencies? How will that work with no summers off. haha

At the end of the spring quarter you get two weeks off. Then you have summer classes which are more podiatry specific and it is more laid back that during the other quarters. I have been told by 2nd years that you will have plenty of time to do normal day to day life activities. Also, there are now research scholarships for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students (10 per year I believe) that you can apply for. I wouldn't stress too much if you go here about that because this school will set you up to get into any residency program if you put the time in to perform well in school. They also have plenty of E.C. through the year to build your resume.

And I think at most schools if you do get the first summer off, you will not the rest of your 3 years there.

I have a question. How are you feeling since Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone, and has it become a deterrent to your ability to study and stay focused? I am from New England and a Pats fan. If that happened to Brady I may need an LOA lol

Reactions: 3 users
I have a question. How are you feeling since Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone, and has it become a deterrent to your ability to study and stay focused? I am from New England and a Pats fan. If that happened to Brady I may need an LOA lol

I don't like talking about it.... I have a friend here who is a cowboys fan and another who is a pats fan also so they are loving it lol I'm just hoping somehow we still have a chance for the playoffs and Rodgers can return to bring us there at this point lol and ya, bad timing with finals week being this week.

I don't like talking about it.... I have a friend here who is a cowboys fan and another who is a pats fan also so they are loving it lol I'm just hoping somehow we still have a chance for the playoffs and Rodgers can return to bring us there at this point lol and ya, bad timing with finals week being this week.
I feel you haha, still one of my fav teams it sucks seeing him go down like that, playoffs still doable though!

This brings some memories. I used to live in CA more than 10 years ago. We used to stop by in and out after school and on weekends.

I have been in Midwest ever since and love it here.

@Packers4lifeDPM

Out of curiosity, what is your current living expenses (per term), as in rent, bills, etc.? Thanks.

Studio apartment on campus for 715 a month, 30 for high speed internet, and during the summer months about 60 for an average for electric bill. I live on campus so they take the full quarter worth of rent out of my student loans right away so pretty much everything I see for student loan money is for electric bill, internet, and then whatever else I need/want to use it for. You can find apartments for a cheaper price than what I'm paying but I like the accessibility of being right on campus.

Does the school not already have wifi throughout the entire campus? At college, there's free wifi everywhere, including the dorms.

I just looked on zillow, there are 3-4 bedrooms HOUSES with granite everything, walk-in closets, and sometimes even a pool for less than 1900 a month. Divide that by 3 or 4 and you can live in luxury for a cheaper price. lol. Gotta love AZ real estate prices.

The apartment do not have free WiFi. But u do have a pool, sand volley ball courts, a clubhouse with a little workout room, pool table, etc. You can probably find cheaper off campus but then you have to worry about traffic and parking every day which I don't like putting up with.

In your experience...do alot of AZPOD and AZCOM students actually live on campus after first year or do alot of them get to know each other and than get their own house/apartment elsewhere?

That varies a lot. Some people have families and live on/off campus, some single people live on campus or off with roommates, etc. No real trends.

Does the school not already have wifi throughout the entire campus? At college, there's free wifi everywhere, including the dorms.

I just looked on zillow, there are 3-4 bedrooms HOUSES with granite everything, walk-in closets, and sometimes even a pool for less than 1900 a month. Divide that by 3 or 4 and you can live in luxury for a cheaper price. lol. Gotta love AZ real estate prices.
I could buy a house in AZ with what I'm paying here per month here in CA.

Seriously, great cost of living and lot of outdoor things to do in AZ.

Not sure why I wrote this.

Probably because rent is coming up.

Reactions: 2 users
No idea. Never looked at that but unless you plan on getting a residency in AZ too (which your not guaranteed), I wouldn't make that big of a purchase.