A question about an archaic name for a condition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blacksky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am not a podiatry student, but I have found myself having to study the workings of the human foot as part of a dissertation on the deformities caused by articles of clothing and an associated video that I am currently producing.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with this particular piece of research, but is seems that the names of the conditions may have changed since this was written, or are just obscure as I cannot find any proper information on two of them and have limited information on a third. If anyone can help me with this it would be really awesome. The conditions I'm trying to research are:

Tylomata and Depressed A.M.A. (The footnotes say they are some kind of callous,)

.Hallux Rigidus (Big toe arthritis).

I've not been able to find any more information on these and lack any of the textbooks that might help, but I would be happy enough with just a summery from someone in the know to help my research.

By the way can anyone help me find any more reports detailing the differences between shod and unshod peoples? I would be extremely grateful since they are a bit hard to come by. The only others I'm really aware of are:

Shod Vs Unshod: The Emergence of forefoot Pathology in Modern Humans?, B. Zipfel, L.R. Berger (2007)
www.ahcuah.com/fflib/exhibits/zipfel.pdf

.Conclusions Drawn From a Comparative Study of Barefoot and Shoe-Wearing Peoples, ..The Journal of ..Bone & Joint Surgery. 1905; s2-3:105-136.
.http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?Volume=s2-3&page=105.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: