A Question About Application Submissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPDV6000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it better to apply to Optometry and when it should be done. Should applications be done during your Junior or Senior year in college, I have just recently gained interested an I am in my research phase about the profession.

I was wondering if you apply during your Senior year for optometry, will you make it in time to attend, if accepted, the optometry school right after you graduate?

I've asked around my campus and I am getting some pretty different answers, it has got me worried...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would also like to know, when did you guys start your personal statements?

I've been thinking about writing mine, but I want to get more experience over my Junior year and wish to complete my personal statement during summer break before Senior year.

When is it better to apply to Optometry and when it should be done. Should applications be done during your Junior or Senior year in high school, I have just recently gained interested an I am in my research phase about the profession.

I was wondering if you apply during your Senior year for optometry, will you make it in time to attend, if accepted, the optometry school right after you graduate?

I've asked around my campus and I am getting some pretty different answers, it has got me worried...
First, I hope you meant college not high school? If you are still in high school, you've got a long way to go before you can apply! Around 98% of people in Optometry school have a Bachelors degree, even though it's not technically required by all of the schools. However, you could start shadowing now.

But in an ideal world, you study and take your OAT in the Spring/Early summer after completing your Junior year of college. Then, the application cycle (through OptomCAS) opens on July 1st and schools encourage you to turn it in as soon as possible since its a rolling application. In other words, the sooner you turn in your application, the better chances you have at whatever your top choice schools are. Schools start inviting applicants for interviews during the Fall semester of your Senior year. Then you would enter Optometry school the following Fall after you graduate college.

Again, this is the typical approach for someone in undergrad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First, I hope you meant college not high school? If you are still in high school, you've got a long way to go before you can apply! Around 98% of people in Optometry school have a Bachelors degree, even though it's not technically required by all of the schools. However, you could start shadowing now.

But in an ideal world, you study and take your OAT in the Spring/Early summer after completing your Junior year of college. Then, the application cycle (through OptomCAS) opens on July 1st and schools encourage you to turn it in as soon as possible since its a rolling application. In other words, the sooner you turn in your application, the better chances you have at whatever your top choice schools are. Schools start inviting applicants for interviews during the Fall semester of your Senior year. Then you would enter Optometry school the following Fall after you graduate college.

Again, this is the typical approach for someone in undergrad.

Yes, I did mean college, I have no idea why I wrote high school...

When should you start your personal statement? Some schools suggest beginning of junior year... but I don't think I would need a whole year to write my personal statement.

I guess it just depends on the person. I started mine in May and finished it in August when I submitted my application. (By no means did i actually work on it everyday for 4 months. I was studying for the OAT). But there's some people who do start it really early. Personally, I didn't need an entire year.