A question for Berkeley Premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRighteous

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a ChemE major right now and I'm thinking of transferring out of the College of Chemistry to do either MCB, BioE, or MolTox.

I'm having problems planning out my course load for next year.
So far, this is what I have planned out:
Fall 2007-
Chem 3B/3BL
Bio 1B
BioE 24
MCB 32/32L

Spring 2008-
MCB 102
Bio 1A/1AL
Psych 2
ESPM 50AC

My question is, should I take MCB32/L or IB 132/L? Also, for MCB 102, can that be substituted for say, MCB 100A or MCB 100B? Are there any other easy requirements that I can get out of the way?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a ChemE major right now and I'm thinking of transferring out of the College of Chemistry to do either MCB, BioE, or MolTox.

I'm having problems planning out my course load for next year.
So far, this is what I have planned out:
Fall 2007-
Chem 3B/3BL
Bio 1B
BioE 24
MCB 32/32L

Spring 2008-
MCB 102
Bio 1A/1AL
Psych 2
ESPM 50AC

My question is, should I take MCB32/L or IB 132/L? Also, for MCB 102, can that be substituted for say, MCB 100A or MCB 100B? Are there any other easy requirements that I can get out of the way?

Go ask people at the Berkeley MCB /Engineering forum. Some upper classmen might help you out

For MCB, 102 can sub for 100 series if you aren't BMB emphasis.

Why take MCB32? It won't fulfill major requirements. IB132 will count as an MCB elective. mcb.berkeley.edu has all the info you need, or email the mcb advising office.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should swap bio 1a and bio 1b and I would take 136 before I took and IB class. 32 is worthless if you're majoring in MCB.

"Go ask people at the Berkeley MCB /Engineering forum. Some upper classmen might help you out"

Can I get a link to that forum?

"For MCB, 102 can sub for 100 series if you aren't BMB emphasis.
If not, I suggest doing the 8 series instead, they are much easier."

Oh okay, thanks. I'm planning to take the 8 series in my junior year.

"you should swap bio 1a and bio 1b and I would take 136 before I took and IB class. 32 is worthless if you're majoring in MCB."

I couldn't get into bio1a for fall 2007. I missed my phase I by a few hours. Is there a difference if I take 1B first?

Am I allowed to take MCB 136 if I take it concurrently with either bio 1A or bio 1B provided that I scored a 5 on bio AP? And would I be able to sub MCB 136 for the physiology requirements (MCB 32 or IB 132) that some majors have?

Thanks for the responses.

PM me if you have questions regarding mcb.

I would follow (as previously mentioned) this schedule:

Fall 2007-
Chem 3B/3BL
Bio 1A/1AL

Spring 2008-
MCB 102
Bio 1B

Do not take MCB 102 and Bio 1A in the same semester.

PM me if you have questions regarding mcb.

I would follow (as previously mentioned) this schedule:

Fall 2007-
Chem 3B/3BL
Bio 1A/1AL

Spring 2008-
MCB 102
Bio 1B

Do not take MCB 102 and Bio 1A in the same semester.

Word of warning, just from my experience - the semester I took Chem 3B and Bio 1A together was the worst one of my college career, GPA-wise. But this depends on your organic chemistry skill, and to who's teaching Chem 3B, to some extent. Then again, MCB 102 was the most hardcore memorization I've ever done in my life (names and structures of all the amino acids; names, structures, mechanisms, intermediates, cofactors of all the major biochemical cycles...shudder). Know your strengths in choosing a schedule, would be my advice =)