a quick question about LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Chiquita

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions for you guys. :D

1) To whom do you address the LOI?
2) How do you make sure that it gets into your file instead of being tossed out or never being read? (I'm thinking if it gets to the right person, then it will actually get read and be put into your file for committee meeting)

Please help me! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Another question? Do you guys think that it would be a better idea to send an email out as well as a hard copy? I am kind of paranoid about the letter not getting read. Help!

JHS

Originally posted by JHS
Another question? Do you guys think that it would be a better idea to send an email out as well as a hard copy? I am kind of paranoid about the letter not getting read. Help!

JHS

An email is tacky, imho. If you send a letter, send a hard copy to your interviewer, or if you send it to P&S, concensus says to send it to Frantz himself. Why? I am not sure, but that is what everyone sending LOIs to Columbia seems to be doing.

Most on this board will tell you to make it long and list the reasons you want to go there--much like writing a love sonnet and saying "let me count the ways." I think that is obsequious.

My advisor suggested writing _one_, concise letter to your interviewer. I think this shows respect for the school, and to your interviewer, who acts as an advocate on your behalf.

This is just my .02. Many on this board will disagree. In the end, its up to you.

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
I think addressing the letter to "Admission Committee, XXX School of Medicine" will be fine. If you know the name of the director of admission or assistant director of admission, you can address the letter to them as well. (However, I don't think you should address the letter to the dean/assistant dean, etc., they are probably not directly involved in the admission process).

Many schools nowadays are fine with email updates. Just be sure you know which address to send it to. There's one school that told me I should send by email to an admission counselor, and he would put the letter in my folder.

At my top school, I felt that I had a very good experience with my interviewer--he seemed to be on my side. Thus, I wrote my LOI to him. Also, I called him personally a few weeks later to let reaffirm my interest and ask if there was anything else I could do for myself at this point.

I think that the call was good since it was a good way for my interviewer to hear me candidly discuss my reasons for wanting to be there. Also, my interviewer has been heavily involved in the admissions process at this school for 20 years+ so he has some weight. However, I would not recommend this avenue for all-I based my decision on the experience I had during my interview.

He even told me that in March hopefully after I hear the good news to call him and he will help me personally with daycare arrangements, etc.

Just my 0.02 :)

Treg

i suggest sending it to the director or the dean of admissions or student affairs (not any other dean). from my experience, the dean of adm plays a large large role in final decisions. if you send it to your interviewer (which i dont think you should), all the interviewer will do is go put it into your file. and you dont even know if your interviewer is on the adcom; some schools have a separate interview team.

def send a hard copy if you do the email thing. and dont worry, it will get into your file for sure. and plus, all you have to do is call a few days later and ask if they got your letter and if its in your file. they will gladly check for you.

good luck.

If you send it to your interviewer here, it will probably get tossed. I mean, I don't toss mine, I just keep them in a folder somwhere, but they don't go to the adcom. The adcoms here don't want them unless they're written to them, so I would do as others say and write directly to the admissions committee.

Be forewarned, some generic letter about how you liked the school isn't going to matter much. Be sure to tell them you'll definately come if you're accepted. Here it might help you come off the waitlist if you're placed on it.

So is the director or assistant director of admissions on the committee for sure?

no, i dont believe the director is on the committee for the most part (just my opinion from experience, so watch out). but they do have much power...move your file up to the front, make a suggestion maybe to their friends (the dean, or adcom chair). but sending to the director is safe cause youll know it will get in your file and you know she can move ur folder up for review.

you can do something cool...send it to the dean and Cc to the director!! thats fatty yo.

good luck.

Thanks! You guys are awesome at giving cool advices. :D

Hi JHS,

I knew when I finished my last interview that I wanted to be at that school. In addition to thank you notes to my interviewers (which I always send), I express-mailed an LOI to the director/dean of admissions. This definitely was added to my file, because the doctor mentioned it when I got my acceptance phone call. So I encourage you to send an LOI if you're sure of your choice, it can make a big difference (and never hurts)! Good luck! :)