A semester w/o extra curriculars...will it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is pretty small, and schedules an "activity period" where all of the clubs meet at the same time. Problem is my work study job is during that time, and the job doesn't offer much flexibility with hours. Is working only 10 hours a week + taking a maximum course load and volunteering on saturday not enough? Problem is the only activity here that interests me is choral group, but it requires a time commitment I cant offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh Nubian, you're in BIIIG trouble!!! You just started at that school this year (am I remembering this right?); and you're ONLY taking a full course load, doing work study, and volunteeering on the weekend??? Yeah, you're a real bum.

Seriously, don't worry about it. You're volunteering and that's good. Fit in other activities (like choral group) when your schedule permits. What is your work-study job? I think it can be anything for now, but as you move on it would be cool to work in some research or med-related work. But anyhoo, You're doing great!!!

For now, im just tutoring and recruiting for the school, but I still get a little intimidated by other people's ec's and club offices, etc. I do feel like im busy enough, but im technically not in a club or org, and so I get a bit concerned.
But thanks, racergirl. Im really not looking for pity, but sometimes when Im on this site I read about people's stats and think I need to fit a certain equation to get into med school.
Maybe ill take the time to read that long new premed thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
nubian, i think you are fine.
on most applications, there is a section for WORK experience as well and that counts as an EC.

plus you're volunteering.

no worries.

Nubian, my first piece of advice is to not look at what other people are doing. Just do what you want and stick with it. Also, as this is your first year, have some fun. College is an awsome time and you should be partying your first year and enjoying yourself. Anyways your extra-curric. are fine for now, just keep your eyes and ears open for any opportunities that come your way.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by altaskier:
•No.•••••Ditto.