A Strange Condition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love_plague

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Pre-Med Engineering major. I always wanted to go to a medical school but I challenged myself to be an engineering major instead of a biology/chemistry/biochemistry major, hoping that this would increase my chance of getting into a medical school.

But, I think I made a mistake :(
I took Physics last semester and got an F. Not only getting an F in physics, I also got an C in Calculus II.
What should I do? I don't think I have any chance getting into a medical school ever :(

Pleaes advise me :( What should I do? I mean I don't even know what I should be doing now...Please give me some advices...What should I be doing?
What shouldn't I be doing?

Thanks,
P.S. What have I done wrong? Do I have a chance of getting into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you can retake physics and do better the next time. That's a good start.

I don't see how being an engineering major affects anything though. It doesn't sound like you've had any of the engineering classes yet.

Not at all. I just finished my freshman year. I will be a sophomore this coming fall.
So do you think I should change my major? A lot of my pre-med friends thought so...
I don't know though.... :O(

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the class and pass. Then you'll get into med school. Always retake your D's & F's, and you'll be good to go.

love_plague said:
Not at all. I just finished my freshman year. I will be a sophomore this coming fall.
So do you think I should change my major? A lot of my pre-med friends thought so...
I don't know though.... :O(
Umm...I would only change if you think that your future grades in engineering classes would be compromised. Do you think that physics is a good indication of how engineering classes are at your school (it is at most schools)?

Ok, you're freaking out a little too much for a freshman. Med. schools like to see trends in your GPA. I would retake Physics, chalk up the calc grade to one bad class, and do better from here on out. And tell your premed friends to suck it -- 60% of them won't still be premeds by the end of next year anyway. If you don't think you can handle being an engineer, you still have plenty of time to change majors. It's that simple.

I think what bubblebobble was trying to say is that changing your major wouldn't affect anything that was included in your post. You would still have to re-take physics, because not only is it on the MCAT, but it is required by nearly all, if not all, medical schools. Calc II is not necessary for med school, but is for many chem and biochem majors, so you would still run into that as well. If you are asking if you should change because you are worried that engineering classes will be even harder than these classes that you did not do well in, I would say no, not yet. Take an engineering class or two. Although it may be a "harder" major, everyone has their strong points, and that may be yours. Just keep your options open, and just major in what you enjoy. Medical schools would not look at an engineering degree any higher than a chem, biology, or theology degree. It is still early, and if you can pull that freshman year into a 4.0 (or something close) junior year and do well on the MCATs, I think it may even strengthen your application. Best of luck, and leave your worrying until application time. :)

Thanks :) Getting up at 5:30 two days in a row has made me tired and out of my SDN-replying prime.

i just wanted to say to the op that your first post made it sound like you decided to be an engineering major because you thought it would make you a stronger med school applicant. i can't stress enough that that is a horrible reason to choose a major, especially one as difficult as engineering. if you are really interested in engineering, then by all means, be an engineer. but if you're doing it just to look different and intelligent on your application, then get out now while you can. schools would rather see a bio or chem or history or sociology major who really loves what they're studying and the classes they're taking than someone who struggles through engineering just because it sounds hard or intellectual or something. by the same reasoning, if you really love engineering, don't switch out just so you'll get better grades in some easy bio courses. do what you want to do and med schools will notice.

Yeah, choose a major you enjoy! College offers such a wide variety of subjects to learn, it's such a waste if you don't learn anything interesting on the side. Plus, what if they ask you in interviews why you chose engineering? Uh...it looks better? I've seen 2 or 3 graphs that show that major really doesn't impact your chances. These can be some of the best times of your life, don't waste your time with classes you don't like/need. Good luck, and don't worry too much about bumpy starts.

Let me put it this way... when i came out of HS i was unsure of what i wanted to do... I knew that i was interested in grad school, and i was pretty good in math and science in HS, so i went into engineering. i go to arizona state and i have put up with just as many grade probs. I do have to tell you, if u are having this many probs and ur only a frosh that maybe u should consider switching majors OR re-evaluate ur study habits. I never wanted to quit because that is not in my vocab (i know its cheesy) and i plan on using it to my advantage in my PS. If u really think that u need to change i think u should switch to something that you can have success in. I just wanted to post so u know there are otehr struggling engineers out there.

ps im aerospace enginerer... what are u????

wytosk said:
I never wanted to quit because that is not in my vocab (i know its cheesy) and i plan on using it to my advantage in my PS.

Careful with cliches in the PS...I could just picture the adcoms wincing at that. However, I'm sure you're no quitter and that you won't rest until you find an original solution to describing yourself as such. :luck:

So, for those of you who recommend choosing a major that you'll enjoy, rather than one that will only challenge you...

If I majored in something like Creative Writing, and only took the prerequisites to get into medical school, it wouldn't hurt me or give me a major disadvantage? If that's the case, then yay, maybe I *will* have fun in my college years!

Thanks in advanced...

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, dont worry im not gonna focus on a no-quit attitude :)

Well, one of the reasons that I chose to be an engineering major was because i wanted to acquire some knowledge that would allow me to perform medical researches later in my career. And, yeah...I admitted it that I thought that being an engineer would be a good back up plan in case I didn't get in a medical school...or even that I thought it would be beneficial for me somehow, having a bachelor in engineering when I graduated while having completed all the pre-med requirement
Plus, I'm in a radiological engineering track. It has a lot to do with medicine and stuffs...but you know I'm quite a daydreamer for my age :oops:

love_

I too just completed my freshman year. I was in mech eng. and hated it. I received a C in calc 2, a D in physics 1 lab, a C in PHysics 1, and a D in Engineering Materials. I still have know i'll get in.

My situation may be the same, or different. I don't know. I decided that engineering wasn't for me, cuz it's too boring! To be honest, the main reason i picked engineering over bio major was to be different from all of the other premed majors. Like most people say, you need to stand out in applying. I realized I was being stupid and need to be involved in the sciences a lot more than anticipated.

As of now, I switched my major and schools so I think I'll be okay.

Good luck.

PreMed86 said:
So, for those of you who recommend choosing a major that you'll enjoy, rather than one that will only challenge you...

If I majored in something like Creative Writing, and only took the prerequisites to get into medical school, it wouldn't hurt me or give me a major disadvantage? If that's the case, then yay, maybe I *will* have fun in my college years!

Thanks in advanced...

Life is too short to waste a bunch of time not learning about what you love. If you want to be a doctor but love creative writing, then go for it--just make sure you get all A's in your math and science pre-req's to prove that you have that skill set too. In the current first-year class at the med school here, there is an English major, a History major, and I think a Psych and Sociology major (out of 12 first-years total.) They all encouraged me not to worry about my undergrad major (Econ and Communication) as long as I enjoyed it and did well in it. So have some fun! Be a well-rounded person! Adcoms love it when you're well-rounded, or so I've heard. :D

elephunt said:
Life is too short to waste a bunch of time not learning about what you love. If you want to be a doctor but love creative writing, then go for it--just make sure you get all A's in your math and science pre-req's to prove that you have that skill set too. In the current first-year class at the med school here, there is an English major, a History major, and I think a Psych and Sociology major (out of 12 first-years total.) They all encouraged me not to worry about my undergrad major (Econ and Communication) as long as I enjoyed it and did well in it. So have some fun! Be a well-rounded person! Adcoms love it when you're well-rounded, or so I've heard. :D

Yay, I love you! Thanks for helping me avoid a potential hell.

So then, the prerequisites that I learn in premed will just be built on in the early years of medical school? (Also, is it better to take those harder prereqs closer to graduation so that they're still fresh in my mind?)

PreMed86 said:
Yay, I love you! Thanks for helping me avoid a potential hell.

So then, the prerequisites that I learn in premed will just be built on in the early years of medical school? (Also, is it better to take those harder prereqs closer to graduation so that they're still fresh in my mind?)

You are going to have to take the premed prereqs before the MCAT, so you can't wait until you are about to graduate, if that's what you are asking. If math isn't your strong point, which is how it looks now, you should get out of engineering asap. Good gpa looks a lot better than bad gpa in a tough major.

willthatsall said:
You are going to have to take the premed prereqs before the MCAT, so you can't wait until you are about to graduate, if that's what you are asking. If math isn't your strong point, which is how it looks now, you should get out of engineering asap. Good gpa looks a lot better than bad gpa in a tough major.

Do you really think that I wouldn't make it through engineering? I don't know how much maths and physics are required for engineering. I know that I'm not really good at these subjects..do you think if I try...then finally I'll make it through?

love_plague said:
Do you really think that I wouldn't make it through engineering? I don't know how much maths and physics are required for engineering. I know that I'm not really good at these subjects..do you think if I try...then finally I'll make it through?

If you can't do Math or Physics, you probably will do poorly in engineering courses. There are a lot of engineering students I know who would make good engineers (i.e., they have the mindset) but they do poorly in their courses due to their weak math base. Math is the basis for all engineering. You need to understand the math classes. If you're not good at it, don't do engineering.

Jason

Undergrad engineering is hell. Why someone would subject themselves to that with the only intention of looking good to a medical school is beyond me.

Academic engineering is quantitation of science. This is very hard if you have a weak math background. It will also be mostly useless to you as a doctor unless you go into research.

Real-world 21st century engineering is coding, and listening to your higher ups who did the quantitative analysis for the project years ago and now just tell you what to do. Haha.

Working as an engineer sucks too, but the pay offsets the negatives. If you cant see yourself being a working engineer, then get out and major in something that allows you to concentrate on science pre-reqs and avoid the math.

Thank you,

I see. I will see how it goes with physics and maths this fall. If I didn't get good grades (A) in these classes this coming fall then I will change my major. But, what major should I change to?

love_plague said:
Thank you,

I see. I will see how it goes with physics and maths this fall. If I didn't get good grades (A) in these classes this coming fall then I will change my major. But, what major should I change to?

Anything. To be a successful pre-med, you need to major in things that interest you.

Jason