A very unique situation!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goforrads

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very new to this forum and now I have a very unique situation here!!

I was a foreign medical grad from India and graduated in 1997 and then I took the Step 1 and Stiep2 with scores of 212/85 and 176/76 ( paper based then). I came to U.S as a permanent resident in 2003, never applied for any residency before this. I applied for radiology residency, stupid enough to do that, and of course with no interviews, was offered a psych position, didn't take it cos' my heart was in Radiology. I made a U turn and decided to enter Medical School here in the U.S and the only school which accepted me was a D.O school, I really enjoyed being there cos' I didn't want to leave this profession at any cost. While I was in the second year here, I retook the boards and I was allowed to retake them cos' of the time limit and also since I was enrolled in an American Medical School. This time I made the most of the opportunity I had, Rocked every test in school, got enrolled in the Honor Society, My Boards scores this time 252/99 and the osteopathic board scores 745/99, I was so determined to do it and above all I raised a family with all this. Now I am into my third year clerkships, recently got research in Radiology at a University Hospital, already set up my final year electives at good places, hoping to get a good letter or so, already have a few good letters. I also plan to take the Step 2 in August, 2008.

The question is going by my background, Have I changed anything to land me into a rads spot this year, or do something else, I wonder if anyone has ever been in this situation.

Above all I am a very enthusiastic medical student, very proactive, and although I am 34 now, So what do you guys think !! No previous formal experience in Rads from back home except I was a primary care doc when I was just helping my family out, by doing a job, It is only when I came to this country when I was able to pursue my dreams. Yes, I did look at thousands of Chest films to look for TB.

Help please someone!!

I really don't know, what should I do.

Members don't see this ad.

I commend you on your perseverance. It may be a little tough as a DO but I'm sure you've been through worse ie repeating med school. Step 1 is excellent, a good step 2 will solidify, research will help, apply broadly in my opinion. I'm sure a list of friendly DO programs is searchable in this forum.

Thanks for your encouraging words, What do you think can I have a shot at the middle tier university programs and if I apply, how many programs should I apply to, I am just about open to going anywhere. I think I'll try to find some of the D.O friendly programs on this forum, as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.