A weird GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zapages

Scientist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This might be a weird question concerning my GPA.

I did terrible in my earlier science classes, but over time I did awesome in my later upper level Science courses. How would the Pharmacy schools would look at it.

BS in Bio:

Gen Bio I: B
Gen Bio II: C
Genetics: C+
Cell Bio: C
--- Post Sophomore Year
Molecular Bio: B
Vertebrate Phys: B
Ecology: A
Bio Research I: A
Bio Research II: A
Bio Research III: A
Bio Research IV: A
Bio Independent Study: A , with a 4,000 dollar Research Fellowship.
Bio Senior Seminar: B+ <-I'm questioning this grade with my professor. *Long story*

BS in Biochemistry:
Gen Chem I: B
Gen Chem II: B+
Orgo I: C+ <-Retook at same university, but during the summer
Orgo I: A-
Orgo II: D+ <-Retook at same university, but during the summer
Orgo II: A
--- Post Sophomore Year.
Analytical Chem I: A
Analytical Chem II: A
Biochemistry: A
Physical Chem II: A-

Basically prior to my Junior year... I was doing terrible... Then I got my act together and studied and worked hard to graduate with Honors.

I think that's why I got wait listed at Erie LECOM. But my last semester GPA was a 3.9(which included Biochem, Physical Chem, and Analytical Chem II) and overall GPA ended up being 3.5. Also there is an upward trend for my GPA ever since Junior year. Do they take that in account? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

This might be a weird question concerning my GPA.

I did terrible in my earlier science classes, but over time I did awesome in my later upper level Science courses. How would the Pharmacy schools would look at it.

BS in Bio:

Gen Bio I: B
Gen Bio II: C
Genetics: C+
Cell Bio: C
--- Post Sophomore Year
Molecular Bio: B
Vertebrate Phys: B
Ecology: A
Bio Research I: A
Bio Research II: A
Bio Research III: A
Bio Research IV: A
Bio Independent Study: A , with a 4,000 dollar Research Fellowship.
Bio Senior Seminar: B+ <-I'm questioning this grade with my professor. *Long story*

BS in Biochemistry:
Gen Chem I: B
Gen Chem II: B+
Orgo I: C+ <-Retook at same university, but during the summer
Orgo I: A-
Orgo II: D+ <-Retook at same university, but during the summer
Orgo II: A
--- Post Sophomore Year.
Analytical Chem I: A
Analytical Chem II: A
Biochemistry: A
Physical Chem II: A-

Basically prior to my Junior year... I was doing terrible... Then I got my act together and studied and worked hard to graduate with Honors.

I think that's why I got wait listed at Erie LECOM. But my last semester GPA was a 3.9(which included Biochem, Physical Chem, and Analytical Chem II) and overall GPA ended up being 3.5. Also there is an upward trend for my GPA ever since Junior year. Do they take that in account? Just wondering.

you'll be fine...just cast a wider net next year if you don't get pulled off Erie's list. 3.5 is not bad, and an upward trend could make it look better. But what do I know, I'm not an adcom:p

you'll be fine...just cast a wider net next year if you don't get pulled off Erie's list. 3.5 is not bad, and an upward trend could make it look better. But what do I know, I'm not an adcom:p

Thank you man for the encouragement... I am really scared and hoping that I get in.

From what I've read on these forums and from what I remember from applying to another professional school, if you get an interview you can explain what happened during your junior year since on a transcript all they see is the grades and not the why they occurred. Also you can explain it on your personal statement. As you mentioned there is an upward trend after that year which they will take into account.

Good luck on your applications!:)