a year in the army?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studybunny6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
after I finish my residency I want to at least do a year in the army? is that possible? I love emergency medicine but I also really want the opportunity to at least do a year in the army? or do they offer special programs for this

Members don't see this ad.

years in the army are like lays potato chips, you can't have just one

Reactions: 7 users
A 1 year contract position working at an Army hospital is probably the closest you'll get to what you want. Better pay than active duty and taking care of soldiers without that deployment mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
after I finish my residency I want to at least do a year in the army? is that possible? I love emergency medicine but I also really want the opportunity to at least do a year in the army? or do they offer special programs for this

Two points:

1) All contracts in the military are 8 years long. Those 8 years include active time + active reserve time + inactive reserve time. Inactive reserves don't drill, they don't have to meet weight standards, all they need to do is update the military once/year about where they are living, and they are very rarely called up, so most people think of IRR time as the same as being out of the military. However it is time with a potential call up hanging over your head. So if you got a '1 year' contract you would have one year active duty and then 7 years in the IRR

2) No, there are not 1 year contracts right now, to the best of my knowledge. At the height of the Iraq war they were offering them for certain critical specialties like Trauma Surgery, if we start a big enough war they might do it again.

What about National guards? Do they have 1-2 year contracts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

years in the army are like lays potato chips, you can't have just one

V84Hqhz.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
People who post questions like this usually have no idea what being a military physician actually entails so I have to ask why you want to be in the Army and why for 1 year? In all likelihood, whatever you're chasing will not be satisfied by a brief stint in the military and can probably be more easily accomplished as a civilian.

People who post questions like this usually have no idea what being a military physician actually entails so I have to ask why you want to be in the Army and why for 1 year? In all likelihood, whatever you're chasing will not be satisfied by a brief stint in the military and can probably be more easily accomplished as a civilian.

I always liked the idea of being in armed forces for a very young age. My dad used to be in Navy (not physician though) in another country before we immigrated to US. I want to commit to 2 years or something because what if I don't like it? I know it sounds weird but its something I have been interested in for a long time

Reactions: 1 user
Someone mentioned it above. But you can apply to be a contractor. You'll get to serve the soldiers and deal with much less... interesting... aspects of military medicine.

If you’re refering to the U.S. Army then you need to talk to a recruiter, though 2 years was the shortest time you could spend in Active Duty last I heard, which completely depended on your MOS.

Why would you wan’t to anyway? By Residency I’m guessing you’re a doctor, or nurse. Go for Doctors without Borders if you wan’t adventure.

Current Army healthcare recruiter here. Minimum is 2 years on active or reserves, send me a message if interested!

Really? 2 years then free and clear or 2 years and then 6 in the IRR, etc?

Ref A pls
It is always a 8 year total contract for everyone in any branch. So for MC it is 2 and then 6 in the IRR. 16 years in I have never met a doctor called off IRR. Not that it can't happen, I just have never seen it.

yeah......gotta say the 6yrs of IRR is kind of a big deal to leave out of a statement