AA bill in Utah fails - AANA demonstrates Epic Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://le.utah.gov/~2009/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hb0269s01.htm

From this link you can review the bill or listen to the audio of the debates, although I am unable to access the latter (if anyone can figure that out, please let me know).

To put it in perspective, the authors of the bill were willing to amend the language to require more supervision of AA's and the AANA still spewed its rhetoric (similar to the language used in Maryland) to get the bill defeated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am listening to it now. A lot of very reasonable discussion between the committee and the President of the Utah Assoc. of Anesthesiologists explaining AA's and ACT concept. I just got to the part where they allow the audience to comment. First up is the President of the Utah NA association. Straight into the we train 7 years vs. their 2 year degree bit... :rolleyes:

Intel 101 on propaganda.

People (Politicians) are naturally stupid and gullable. Therefore, as the AA profession grows with the support of MDAs and more data that demonstrates the safety and reliability of AAs as members of the ACT, the propaganda against CRNAs should begin spreading like wildfire. Nurses claiming to have a monopoly on anesthesia will not pass for long. I am ready for the fight.

Let the propaganda begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am listening to it now. A lot of very reasonable discussion between the committee and the President of the Utah Assoc. of Anesthesiologists explaining AA's and ACT concept. I just got to the part where they allow the audience to comment. First up is the President of the Utah NA association. Straight into the we train 7 years vs. their 2 year degree bit... :rolleyes:

Are you listening to it on a PC? I've tried every app I can think of on my mac and I'm getting fail.

does anyone know why the bill failed? does the utah legislatures want more information?

does anyone know why the bill failed? does the utah legislatures want more information?

You know that old expression about lies, damn lies, and statistics? There's a whole new concept to be called "CRNA lies".

The political process at the state level is nothing if not interesting. I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio yet, but I'm sure the usual CRNA drivel regurgitated from the AANA is there. Sometimes things go well - Missouri and Oklahoma sailed through on the first try. NC took two sessions, and Florida was a three year fight. Fortunately, AA's have facts on their side, and in the end, the truth usually wins out. As with NC and Florida, legislators will come to realize that they have simply been lied to by the CRNA's and their "professional" organizations. That generally doesn't set well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am now past the public hearing and am listening to the private hearing portion.

There seems to be a lot of debate going on about the supervision specifically at the time of induction. The legislators seemed concerned about an AA doing this without a doc in the room and the question of whether or not this is policy or something to write into the bill is central to the debate.

So many different groups are speaking in favor of the bill ( Anesthesiologist, PA, AMA, Pharmacist) only ones against bill (Nuse Anesthetist). They legislator mentions in the discussion that they want a doc at their head when they are getting Anesthesia. Well then you dont want a CRNA either because they are not doctors. At least AAs will be working with Anesthesiologist while CRNAs can be supervised by a surgeon. What does a Surgeon/Dentist know about anesthesia?

Reactions: 1 user
I am now past the public hearing and am listening to the private hearing portion.

There seems to be a lot of debate going on about the supervision specifically at the time of induction. The legislators seemed concerned about an AA doing this without a doc in the room and the question of whether or not this is policy or something to write into the bill is central to the debate.

I'm concerned that the voice of the anesthesiologists isn't reaching the legislators. How organized is Utah Assn. of Anesthesiologists? Did all of the residents in the state get emails letting them know about this bill? Can anyone here comment? The ASA, in conjunction with state associations, need to create an email system, if they already haven't, letting every member (and perhaps non-member physicians/residents/medical students) know about upcoming legislation that affects our practice. They also need to create form letters that can easily be formatted to our liking and emailed to senators and/or congressman. The legislators need to fully know and understand the side of the anesthesiologist with regards to these issues, and I fear they currently don't hear from everyone.

I bring this up b/c I'm a member of another physician organization, and even as a medical student I signed up to receive impending legislation that is important to physicians. I'm sent emails frequently with links to form letters that I can personally format and send to my local congressmen and senators. When the changes in Medicare were going through last year, I sent letters and called every congressmen and senator in the state. We need this organization in anesthesiology as well, if it isn't already there. I don't currently get emails from the ASA notifying me of impending legislation that is important to us. Does anyone?

This is important because the CRNA organizations are VERY organized. They hire groups to do biased surveys to sway public opinion, contact their senators and/or congressmen, contact local media for print articles etc. etc. If we're not as organized, or more, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I'm lost here. I can't listen to the audio, so could you straighten it out for me. Are you saying that the bill to introduce AA's into Utah OR's failed? Or are you saying that the CRNA group failed to stop the introduction of AA's?

Real Player :scared:

Downloaded real player for my Dell and it there is still fail. Are you running XP or whatever the newer microsoft OS is?

You should be able to listen to it once you download real player. I have windows vista.

My understanding of Utah politics is that it is a one-party state, which brings good and bad. More than any other state I've followed, they will try to dismantle programs that they don't believe they need (which is near impossible once a beaurocracy has been established). Along with the rest of the country, they are looking at budget shortfalls this year. Maybe they figured this was simply a new program that was going to bring added government beaurocracy and costs, that this just isn't the right time to introduce something new, because change takes time with people who are actually conservative.

Downloaded real player for my Dell and it there is still fail. Are you running XP or whatever the newer microsoft OS is?
XP on my work laptop. Jst popped on in realplayer...

People (Politicians) are naturally stupid and gullable. Therefore, as the AA profession grows with the support of MDAs and more data that demonstrates the safety and reliability of AAs as members of the ACT, the propaganda against CRNAs should begin spreading like wildfire. Nurses claiming to have a monopoly on anesthesia will not pass for long. I am ready for the fight.

What's an MDA? Did you leave the "N" off of N-methyl-d-aspartate?

http://le.utah.gov/~2009/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hb0269s01.htm

From this link you can review the bill or listen to the audio of the debates, although I am unable to access the latter (if anyone can figure that out, please let me know).

To put it in perspective, the authors of the bill were willing to amend the language to require more supervision of AA's and the AANA still spewed its rhetoric (similar to the language used in Maryland) to get the bill defeated.

Not to worry. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it approved but it will be approved. Just remember north carolina.

Not to worry. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it approved but it will be approved. Just remember north carolina.

can we revive the bill?? How many tried did it take in north carolina?

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN IN MARYLAND>> WRITE THE STATE SENATOR. I WONDER IF WE CAN GO DOWN THERE. MARYLAND IS NOT TOO FAR OF A DRIVE FOR ME