AA URM TX RESIDENT; SHOULD I APPLY OUT OF STATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonofDavid2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask if ANY TX RESIDENTS AND URMS could look at my stats, story, and my ECs and tell advise me if I should even bother applying out of state. My stats are :

Since my last time applying in 2013, I have had 4 semesters of a 3.5, 3.5, 4.0, and 4.0 GPA. The last two semesters where all upper-division BIO classes. My GPA increased from a 2.84 to a 3.29 science and cumulative.

Increased my MCAT from a 26 to a 32.

URM AA male; TX resident (re-applicant to TMDSAS schools (2013 cycle), not AMCAS schools)

ECs:

Leadership: Numerous leadership positions that have shaped my personal desire for medicine; President of my fraternity, Student Government Senator, Christian ministry leader, Mentoring leader for 3 years
Clinical Experience: Study aboard trip to sub Saharan African Country for hospital mission trip, 100+hrs of shadowing, cancer center preceptorship (140 hours), Medical Scribe (till Fall 2016)
Volunteering: 3 mentoring volunteering jobs with middle school, high school, and college students (500 hours), volunteered in Food Banks of the Charlotte area, Many hours dedicated to my volunteer ministry
Research: Two summer research projects, one poster presentation

Though I am only roughly describing my ECs, I feel very confident about them, and my overall theme in my PS and secondary essays.

School List:
All Texas Schools (UT Southwestern (reach), UT-Houston, UT- San Antonio, UTMB, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, UNT etc) (I just turned in my TMDSAS last week, planning on turning in my AMCAS next week when i get money lol)

Duke (super reach)
Baylor (reach)
Wash U (super reach)
Wake Forest
(I put Duke and Wake because I my undergraduate school has NC ties to them)

My question is, is it even worth to apply out of state? Baylor and UTSW already feel like reaches for me, and if I have would have a tough time getting into the those two, why apply to Duke or WashU when it would be hard to get in AND get enough money to go there?? Im pretty much asking, do you think I can get enough money from Duke or WashU to justify applying there? And do I even have a chance at Baylor or UTSW? I would be fine with any Texas school; I just know Baylor and UTSW are the dreams. I am open to any opinions , let me know what yall think. Please add or subtract any schools you think I should apply to!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think top schools like Duke,WashU, and Baylor usually give the most in aid. I know ppl that have gotten tuition scholarships at HBCUs, but they are few and far in between. If you can afford to apply and interview at those places then go for it. You'll probably regret it if you don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think top schools like Duke,WashU, and Baylor usually give the most in aid. I know ppl that have gotten tuition scholarships at HBCUs, but they are few and far in between. If you can afford to apply and interview at those places then go for it. You'll probably regret it if you don't.
Ill definitely keep them on then. Thank you. Do you recommend adding any other schools to the list?

My host at Uchicago Pritzker said that its not rare to receive tuition scholarships, so I'd apply there. Emory offered some pretty decent aid to me so I'd say apply there as well. If I think of anywhere else, i'll let you know.