AACOMAS accepting EMT classes as science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

In looking at the AACOMAS guidelines for grade entry, it appears that they are now classifying EMT and paramedic classes (as well as CPR) as "other science", and thus used to calculate sGPA. I'm not opposed to this at all, considering electrocardiography isn't exactly biochem, but it sure is quite a bit different from sociology. I guess my main question is, has anyone had experience putting in several EMT/Paramedic classes into AACOMAS in this way? Basically, I did 10x better in paramedic school than in my first two years of undergrad, so it looks like this will artificially inflate my sGPA by about half a point.

Also, for those with experience with/as adcoms, will this really hold up in court, so to speak? I'm retaking two science classes right now to square up my GPA, but I certainly wouldn't expect EMS classes to directly translate to medical school coursework the way hard sciences would. @Goro , any input?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what it says on the instructions, and I have heard from other people that their verified GPA was calculated with paramedic classes counting towards sGPA. I'm still waiting to be verified, so I can't say anything first hand.

That's awesome, thanks for the input! I remember reading last year that they wouldn't accept EMS credits as science, but I'm definitely pumped that they changed it...it's kind of a pain that it doesn't show your running GPA when you put classes in anymore. I won't be applying until next cycle, so I sure hope they don't change things again, as remote of possibility as it may be! Good luck this cycle, hope to see you in the acceptance thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
This level of app logistics is outside my knowledge base. Best to ask AACOMAS.

It sure doesn't sound like science class though.

Hey all,

In looking at the AACOMAS guidelines for grade entry, it appears that they are now classifying EMT and paramedic classes (as well as CPR) as "other science", and thus used to calculate sGPA. I'm not opposed to this at all, considering electrocardiography isn't exactly biochem, but it sure is quite a bit different from sociology. I guess my main question is, has anyone had experience putting in several EMT/Paramedic classes into AACOMAS in this way? Basically, I did 10x better in paramedic school than in my first two years of undergrad, so it looks like this will artificially inflate my sGPA by about half a point.

Also, for those with experience with/as adcoms, will this really hold up in court, so to speak? I'm retaking two science classes right now to square up my GPA, but I certainly wouldn't expect EMS classes to directly translate to medical school coursework the way hard sciences would. @Goro , any input?

This level of app logistics is outside my knowledge base. Best to ask AACOMAS.

It sure doesn't sound like science class though.

They do count them, mine were verified. But why don't you believe they qualify as science? I had 3 and 400 level classes on cardiology, pulmonology, critical care patients, etc etc. All of which were more in depth than A&P 1/2. From those med school faculty I've talked to and my advisor it seems like paramedic classes are written off or taken with a large grain of salt, but it's serious school with 1000's of hrs put in.

EDIT: though I agree on the EMT/CPR etc classes not being science. (Though ACLS/PALS/BTLS are definitely more science-y)

They do count them, mine were verified. But why don't you believe they qualify as science? I had 3 and 400 level classes on cardiology, pulmonology, critical care patients, etc etc. All of which were more in depth than A&P 1/2. From those med school faculty I've talked to and my advisor it seems like paramedic classes are written off or taken with a large grain of salt, but it's serious school with 1000's of hrs put in.

EDIT: though I agree on the EMT/CPR etc classes not being science. (Though ACLS/PALS/BTLS are definitely more science-y)

I wanted to comment on the "writing off" of medic classes that you posted. This is my personal opinion. I worked as an EMT/Paramedic/Flight Paramedic/Critical Care Paramedic for over ten years with extremely busy ALS/critical care agencies before starting medical school. I taught paramedicine for both the military and civilian sectors and I'm a longtime instructor for the AHA/NAEMT/all the other alphabet organizations and courses you can think of.

While my experience has helped me with SPs and medical terminology/fluency, there is a TON of information that was "brand new" to me. The amount of knowledge they shove into your brain in a short period of time is unbelievable.

While I agree certain classes in medic school can be counted as science, I can definitely put myself in the ADCOMs' shoes. If I were an ADCOM, my biggest fear would be admitting someone with a significant clinical background (e.g., paramedic, RN, etc) only to find out they relied on their previous fund of knowledge and did not take medical school seriously. Are certain classes a bit easier for me? Sure! But I use that extra time to study all the other classes (e.g., biochem, immuno, path, phys, anatomy).

Pathways learned anywhere else are nothing compared to medical school. I can definitely see why certain faculty/ADCOMs would be hesitant.

1) this is my personal opinion
2) I am not an ADCOM for a medical school
3) I started medical school with no preconceived notions. I will learn the XYZ way (XYZ=my medical school)

Edit: spelling errors (no thanks to autocorrect).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree. I know it won't really compare to the tidal wave that is (hopefully) coming my way. But as far as pre-med undergrad sciences go I feel like they're definitely science.

I agree. I know it won't really compare to the tidal wave that is (hopefully) coming my way. But as far as pre-med undergrad sciences go I feel like they're definitely science.

Concur. Not trying to be argumentative or confrontational at all. I wish all of my classes counted while I was applying! Just trying to wear the shoes of those who decide our fates!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight, everybody! I can certainly see both sides of the argument, and it doesn't make it any easier that the standard of education in the prehospital arena varies wildly from program to program. I expect any edge gained from clinical experience to be very minimal, especially in the preclinical years. Conversely, I'm extremely happy that all those hours I put in to paramedic school, working, teaching, etc will have some sort of quantitative effect on my application!