aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is probably a silly question... but what sort of outerwear do you wear with suits when you interview somewhere really cold? Is it okay to wear a puffer coat or should I invest in a nicer wool coat? (I don't have either, so I need to go shopping anyways haha.) And if it rains/snows/ices, do women still wear heels? Or wear boots and change into heels?

Sorry for the noob questions, I live out in the desert. :unsure:

Im sorry but I can't answer your question about footwear because I'm not a girl -_-.

When you come in you usually put all your personal belongings in a room/closet. so I really really don't think it should be an issue what you wear (on top of your suit) as long as it's not super whacky. The priority should be not getting sick as opposed to looking good/professional I think. So don't worry.

Also, you shouldn't ever have to worry about asking "silly" questions. Although limited, my experience with this community, whether it be on sdn, the students I'm interviewing with (shoutout to @bhog59 . interviewed with him at scholl. And possibly some others from these threads but I'll never know), or the students/faculty/staff at any of the pod programs, has been amazing. Everyone is so nice and helpful and I haven't met anyone related to the pod program ever put anyone else down. honestly one of the biggest reasons why I chose this profession in the first place, is all of you (yes even YOU reading this).

So yeah, don't be afraid to ask anyone here anything. we will try our best to help you in whatever way we can. There are no such things as silly questions here. This is honestly something I need to remind myself and I'll share a story about when I should've asked a silly question.

When I was working on my pod application (This was in September) I came across this question that asks something about having your license revoked or suspended by the state. I don't know what was wrong with me that day but I wasn't sure which license they were asking about and thought, "hm I've had my (drivers) license suspended by the state (of Illinois) and I don't want to lie on my application even though it seems so irrelevant for them to ask about my license (drivers). I'll write about that suspension anyway". So I went ahead and wrote this long paragraph about my traffic violations (STOP LAUGHING) and forgot all about it. It wasn't until late October that I sent in my app and I receive an email from western inviting me to interview but telling me to make sure that my previous license suspension wasn't going to prevent me from practicing podiatry in the future and that's when it hit me, they were referring to a medical license and not a drivers license LOL. I felt like such an idiot. It didnt negatively affect me because I ended up getting an II from all 9 schools but nonetheless it happened and I hated myself for it.
HEY, in my defense, I was fresh out of undergrad and it didn't even cross my mind that an application would ask about a medical license. :,(
Also, I don't know how western thought I had a medical license suspended when I was clearly talking about speeding tickets. And if they didn't read the explanation and thought I had an actual medical license suspension, why they sent me an II. -_-

ANYWAY, moral of the story...don't be me, ASK QUESTIONS! Not everyone is going to understand everything (except @Weirdy , that guy knows everything), so no one is going to judge you. We're all here for you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Im sorry but I can't answer your question about footwear because I'm not a girl -_-.

When you come in you usually put all your personal belongings in a room/closet. so I really really don't think it should be an issue what you wear (on top of your suit) as long as it's not super whacky. The priority should be not getting sick as opposed to looking good/professional I think. So don't worry.

Also, you shouldn't ever have to worry about asking "silly" questions. Although limited, my experience with this community, whether it be on sdn, the students I'm interviewing with (shoutout to @bhog59 . interviewed with him at scholl. And possibly some others from these threads but I'll never know), or the students/faculty/staff at any of the pod programs, has been amazing. Everyone is so nice and helpful and I haven't met anyone related to the pod program ever put anyone else down. honestly one of the biggest reasons why I chose this profession in the first place, is all of you (yes even YOU reading this).

So yeah, don't be afraid to ask anyone here anything. we will try our best to help you in whatever way we can. There are no such things as silly questions here. This is honestly something I need to remind myself and I'll share a story about when I should've asked a silly question.

When I was working on my pod application (This was in September) I came across this question that asks something about having your license revoked or suspended by the state. I don't know what was wrong with me that day but I wasn't sure which license they were asking about and thought, "hm I've had my (drivers) license suspended by the state (of Illinois) and I don't want to lie on my application even though it seems so irrelevant for them to ask about my license (drivers). I'll write about that suspension anyway". So I went ahead and wrote this long paragraph about my traffic violations (STOP LAUGHING) and forgot all about it. It wasn't until late October that I sent in my app and I receive an email from western inviting me to interview but telling me to make sure that my previous license suspension wasn't going to prevent me from practicing podiatry in the future and that's when it hit me, they were referring to a medical license and not a drivers license LOL. I felt like such an idiot. It didnt negatively affect me because I ended up getting an II from all 9 schools but nonetheless it happened and I hated myself for it.
HEY, in my defense, I was fresh out of undergrad and it didn't even cross my mind that an application would ask about a medical license. :,(
Also, I don't know how western thought I had a medical license suspended when I was clearly talking about speeding tickets. And if they didn't read the explanation and thought I had an actual medical license suspension, why they sent me an II. -_-

ANYWAY, moral of the story...don't be me, ASK QUESTIONS! Not everyone is going to understand everything (except @Weirdy , that guy knows everything), so no one is going to judge you. We're all here for you. :)

I think weirdy is a chick.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably a silly question... but what sort of outerwear do you wear with suits when you interview somewhere really cold? Is it okay to wear a puffer coat or should I invest in a nicer wool coat? (I don't have either, so I need to go shopping anyways haha.) And if it rains/snows/ices, do women still wear heels? Or wear boots and change into heels?

Sorry for the noob questions, I live out in the desert. :unsure:
I know nothing about women's fashion. Otherwise.... but look up images of Michelle Obama, Jackie Kennedy in you'll get some inspiration for outerwear from them. If you were a guy the answer would be a Barbour Beaufort / Bedale or a top/overcoat on top of your suit!

That's a lot of cash to spend!!!!!

This is why I'm glad I just have one school in mind. If that school sends me an ii and I get accepted within 3 - 5 days, I'll withdraw my app / decline all other iis.

*looks at Kent*

Reactions: 2 users
I figure the cost is worth it to make sure I get in somewhere :shrug:

Definitely worth it. I was only going to go to one interview (my top choice at the time) but I found I liked another school that was near the bottom of my list much better. You should go see as many schools as you are able! Not just to better your chances, but to feel out where you are going to spend your next four years! :)

I 100% agree that it's worth it to check out as many schools as you can if possible!

What I ended up doing was, I staggered interview dates (and even my application) because of my current financial situation. I applied to 4 schools in December, and depending on how my interviews go in January, I will apply to more schools at the end of January if I don't have any acceptances. It makes the process take a lot longer, but it was something I had to do. Ideally, I think this would work a lot better if I had applied earlier in the cycle... but I will update with my thoughts on this when the application cycle ends.

Thank you for all the help on my coat question, guys!! Every answer really helped. :love:

Definitely worth it. I was only going to go to one interview (my top choice at the time) but I found I liked another school that was near the bottom of my list much better. You should go see as many schools as you are able! Not just to better your chances, but to feel out where you are going to spend your next four years! :)

I had the exact same experience! Based on my research, Scholl was my #1 choice but when I visited DMU I just fell in love with it and couldn't see myself at any other school. So if it's possible, I would definitely recommend accepting at least a few different interviews.

I think weirdy is a chick.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.

Aw shucks you're making me blush, and on a special day for me too.

XOXO

Much love,

Weirdy

Reactions: 3 users
Just interviewed at Kent and the interview went descent I think but there was a question they asked at the end where they said "Do you have any questions?". I actually didn't and said no I don't . Is that a wrong answer???? Was I supposed to ask at least one question?? Everything else went ok I think.

Just interviewed at Kent and the interview went descent I think but there was a question they asked at the end where they said "Do you have any questions?". I actually didn't and said no I don't . Is that a wrong answer???? Was I supposed to ask at least one question?? Everything else went ok I think.

You're not supposed to ask one but, it would have seemed nice on your part if you did b/c it shows your interest in the program. In either case, if they want to accept you, they will, regardless. Good luck :)

Don't worry about it. It's better to say you don't have any questions than to panic and ask a stupid one on the spot.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who interviewed at Kent at the end of the interview how long did they say was the wait time for a decision email?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed at Kent at the end of the interview how long did they say was the wait time for a decision email?

I was accepted a week later. It was right before thanksgiving. Good luck!

Very First II at Kent!

As promised, here are my Stats. Im intentionally keeping vague since the pod community is a small one.

3.4-3.6 GPA. Lots of Withdrawals and retakes (I was a dumb kid when I was 18). Huge upward trend my senior-post bac years (3.9 GPA).

MCAT: Tree time test taker from 490-494 (increased every time)

Etra: Lots of research, ton of medical volunteering.

Very First II at Kent!

As promised, here are my Stats. Im intentionally keeping vague since the pod community is a small one.

3.4-3.6 GPA. Lots of Withdrawals and retakes (I was a dumb kid when I was 18). Huge upward trend my senior-post bac years (3.9 GPA).

MCAT: Tree time test taker from 490-494 (increased every time)

Etra: Lots of research, ton of medical volunteering.

That's awesome dude make sure you get some sleep and not get excited to the point you cant sleep the night before and also have to drive 4 hours to interview lol. I was so exhausted and tired. Let's us know how it goes Gypsy! Dress up it's cold as hell in Independence!

That's awesome dude make sure you get some sleep and not get excited to the point you cant sleep the night before and also have to drive 4 hours to interview lol. I was so exhausted and tired. Let's us know how it goes Gypsy! Dress up it's cold as hell in Independence!

every time I learn something new about Kent I fall more in love with it...

Must. Get. Accepted. To. KSUCPM!!!

Happy belated birthday, home slice?

Lol Weirdy is a bro. Look at his avatar; it's the male sign :laugh:..

Haha thnx for pointing that out. Sorry for being a little weirdy.

What are you doing in the meantime academically?

- finishing up prerequisites
- grad school in January
- research in the summer '17 (did it summer '16 too)
- studying for the mcat (September '17)

Any suggestions you'll like to add?

- finishing up prerequisites
- grad school in January
- research in the summer '17 (did it summer '16 too)
- studying for the mcat (September '17)

Any suggestions you'll like to add?

Have you shadowed?

What would you say looking back how much does an interview weight on your admission to a pod school?

What would you say looking back how much does an interview weight on your admission to a pod school?

People kept telling me "If you get an interview you're more than halfway there." Had to keep telling myself "they picked me for a reason, I'm worth something" because you get to that point and realize every candidate sitting next to you brings something to the table competitively.

Applied 6, invites to 6, went to 4.

2 I knew were out of my league but it was closest geographically so why not (Western and AZpod). Waitlisted then accepted at Western. Rejected post interview AZpod.

Western:
Western interview felt less smooth and most disjointed out of all of them. They're a hard school (for good reason, they pump out very competitive students) and will address any and all deficits on your file. Interview was 1:1, I prefer a panel grilling me. Less awkward silence with a panel.

My academics were weak, specifically sGPA. I firmly believe my answers to the behavioral questions were pivotal and my ability to communicate effectively and explain my thoughts clearly played a role in getting me a wait-list instead of an outright rejection. Also surprised I got off the waitlist and accepted given the caliber of students I was against academically were very different from where I was (3.5s with solid 500 mcats).

AZpod:
AZpod was the other end of the spectrum. Knew going in my grades and mcat were too low to compete looking at their matriculants, very surprised when I got an invite in their first round. 3:1 interview and the panel asked very hard questions. I felt like I answered all questions to the best of my capabilities and interviewers themselves were stern when they had to be but smiled a lot and even made jokes/laughed with me when appropriate. Felt like it was my best interview performance out of all the interviews.

Got a rejection week later. Bummed at first but expected and got over it.

Kent:
First interview and first to offer me one (literally within 24hrs of app getting verified). Staff was ridiculously courteous. You ask a lot of people who interviewed there they'll agree to that aspect at least. Interview itself (3:1) was extremely nerve-wrecking because it was my first one and my first time really facing my weaknesses on file. Pulled it off somehow. Felt like everyone in the room was a lot more relaxed after I told them straight up the glaring hole in my app were my undergrad science grades. They agreed and the process after that was much more smooth.

CSPM:
Was my first choice. Knew I was lacking grade wise compared to their matriculants but I took a calculated risk. Interview itself was a good balance of pleasant and intense. One of the interviewers upon switching to the topic of my grades explicitly said "Well you certainly have a very colorful transcript". Cs and Ds in undergrad chem/ochem. I owned up to it but its a lot of pressure to admit to your top pick.

I had to get real and sell myself and prove to them I was working hard so I could eventually handle the course load there. Told them I knew I looked like a risky applicant to them because of my grades but believed I got an interview invite for a reason. I firmly believe they made the decision based on my character/experiences because my grades were extremely borderline and not typical of their class. Got an acceptance on the last day of the week.

Reactions: 6 users
People kept telling me "If you get an interview you're more than halfway there." Had to keep telling myself "they picked me for a reason, I'm worth something" because you get to that point and realize every candidate sitting next to you brings something to the table competitively.

2 I knew were out of my league but it was closest geographically so why not (Western and AZpod). Waitlisted then accepted at Western. Rejected post interview AZpod.

Western:
Western interview felt less smooth and most disjointed out of all of them. They're a hard school (for good reason, they pump out very competitive students) and will address any and all deficits on your file. Interview was 1:1, I prefer a panel grilling me. Less awkward silence with a panel.

My academics were weak, specifically sGPA. I firmly believe my answers to the behavioral questions were pivotal and my ability to communicate effectively and explain my thoughts clearly played a role in getting me a wait-list instead of an outright rejection. Also surprised I got off the waitlist and accepted given the caliber of students I was against academically were very different from where I was (3.5s with solid 500 mcats).

AZpod:
AZpod was the other end of the spectrum. Knew going in my grades and mcat were too low to compete looking at their matriculants, very surprised when I got an invite in their first round. 3:1 interview and the panel asked very hard questions. I felt like I answered all questions to the best of my capabilities and interviewers themselves were stern when they had to be but smiled a lot and even made jokes/laughed with me when appropriate. Felt like it was my best interview performance out of all the interviews.

Kent:
First interview and first to offer me one (literally within 24hrs of app getting verified). Staff was ridiculously courteous. You ask a lot of people who interviewed there they'll agree to that aspect at least. Interview itself (3:1) was extremely nerve-wrecking because it was my first one and my first time really facing my weaknesses on file. Pulled it off somehow. Felt like everyone in the room was a lot more relaxed after I told them straight up the glaring hole in my app were my undergrad science grades. They agreed and the process after that was much more smooth.

CSPM:
Was my first choice. Knew I was lacking grade wise compared to their matriculants but I took a calculated risk. Interview itself was a good balance of pleasant and intense. One of the interviewers upon switching to the topic of my grades explicitly said "Well you certainly have a very colorful transcript". Cs and Ds in undergrad chem/ochem. I owned up to it but its a lot of pressure to admit to your top pick.

I had to get real and sell myself and prove to them I was working hard so I could eventually handle the course load there. Told them I knew I looked like a risky applicant to them because of my grades but believed I got an interview invite for a reason. I firmly believe they made the decision based on my character/experiences because my grades were extremely borderline and not typical of their class. Got an acceptance on the last day of the week.
Great comments. Make sure to fill out interview feedback if you are able to do so.

Western:

AZpod:

Kent:

CSPM:

i really appreciate your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think the most interesting questions they ask me during the interview was "what were you scoring on practice MCAT's? Why do you guys think they would ask such a question?

I think the most interesting questions they ask me during the interview was "what were you scoring on practice MCAT's? Why do you guys think they would ask such a question?

It's a reasonable question. Maybe you were scoring high during practice and tanked on the real test day. There could be several factors at play for the disparity between the scores.

Also, they might be curious about how you were preparing, how well you were preparing, etc.

It's a decent question and one I would certainly swing into my favor to win some points. I could connect it to save other parts of my app.

Just out of curiosity, what was your MCAT score?

@esamoham

Yes, I have and I'll be going back to the same doc to shadow again soon.

I'm just about set at this point (assuming everything follows the time line and falls into place)

It's a reasonable question. Maybe you were scoring high during practice and tanked on the real test day. There could be several factors at play for the disparity between the scores.

Also, they might be curious about how you were preparing, how well you were preparing, etc.

It's a decent question and one I would certainly swing into my favor to win some points. I could connect it to save other parts of my app.

Just out of curiosity, what was your MCAT score?

I scored a 490 but on FL i was scoring 495+. So saying that could favor me during interview ifasked that question? For future interview purposes.

How were you guys notified by Kent about acceptance?

I scored a 490 but on FL i was scoring 495+. So saying that could favor me during interview ifasked that question? For future interview purposes.

Well I'll flip it in my favor based on my particular situation that I find myself in. You might not be in my situation and background, you know?

I'm coming from a background where I never studied for exams and sometimes didn't show up. So I'll be making a case that I've matured over the years and one of the ways I've matured was studying very hard for the MCAT. And I took FL tests, etc.

Also it could happen that I score a 490. If asked about it, I'll say I studied really hard, took FL exams, and my scores were always in the 500s. On the day of the exam x, y, z happened. X, y, z doesn't have to be an insane tragedy. Test anxiety is a real thing.

I hope that clears it up.

How were you guys notified by Kent about acceptance?

I got an email and then a packet with my official acceptance letter and a KSUCPM bumper magnet (lol) a couple of days later
I would say try to stop worrying but honestly I was a nervous wreck the week I was waiting for the email. Try to focus on something you love, as lame as that sounds. I really like yoga so I did a ton of yoga that week. Anything that will take your mind off of the interview and the awaiting decision!

I got an email and then a packet with my official acceptance letter and a KSUCPM bumper magnet (lol) a couple of days later
I would say try to stop worrying but honestly I was a nervous wreck the week I was waiting for the email. Try to focus on something you love, as lame as that sounds. I really like yoga so I did a ton of yoga that week. Anything that will take your mind off of the interview and the awaiting decision!

Did u have the letters of rec sent out before the acceptance?

Did u have the letters of rec sent out before the acceptance?

Got accepted, did not send rec letters before.

Letter of intent had "Send rec letters in" as one of the requirements along with finalized transcripts and deposit.

This was prevalent for all schools except Scholl which requires you to send in before they look at your app.

This has never really been talked about on SDN pre pod but do any schools take into consideration URM?

Last edited: