aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 Points:

Regarding the SMPs, here at NYCPM we share housing with some Touro DO and SMP students. For the Touro SMP you have to be in the top 1/2 of 40ish kids to get direct acceptance into their DO program but there is no fixed needed GPA, it completely depends on the class average so it's super competitive and no matter what, half will not make it even with a possible 95% avg if the avg is 96%. One of the the SMP kids at the beginning of last semester talked crap about DPM and how it wasn't a real doctor blah blah. Now almost done with the first year, he is nowhere near the top half and isn't going to make it and apparently is going to be applying to podiatry schools. Moral of the story, things/perceptions can change quickly, so always stay humble or you'll look like a fool in a few months time. So "SMP being the real winners", maybe but not all those kids will make it and might end up still applying to pod after wasting an extra year of time and money, something applicants should consider.

Just like Jose, I also went to Stony Brook and for sure not only the Adcoms during interviews noted it was a hard school and they've had excellent current/past students come from there but even some of my first year professors when I mentioned it were impressed and said stuff along the lines "I expect a lot from you". So yes, Adcom and even professors know what are the tough science schools that don't hold your hand or grade inflate and they consider that when looking at your stats. I can definitely understand Jose's POV, Stony does its damn hardest to weed kids out just because there are so many premeds but at the same time by throwing you into the deep end, you learn to sink or swim very quickly and there probably is a correlation why my MCAT was above avg but my GPA was below avg. I could have easily went to Adelphi or Hostra and got higher GPAs like some of my friends but would I have done as well on the MCAT, debatable (not to mention the saved money on instate public vs private tuition. Had 0 undergrad loans going into pod school). Same thing with the doctor I used to work for, she was really hard on me with sometimes impossible expectations/demands but in hindsight this tough love approach only made me stronger and I'm thankful for it instead of having an easy hand holding experience. Same thing is currently happening at NYCPM where it's pretty tough and miserable and I have a few of classmates who are complaining it's too hard but after being through this kinda thing twice, I'm sure in 4 years I will also look back and be thankful for being pushed harder than at the time was desirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also advice for all prepods that I only learned recently. NYCPM usually has the lowest averages among all the school and also among the highest attrition because they really like to weed out weaker students before the boards roll by. The upperclassmen say that residency directors already kinda know this so they take that into consideration and also use class rank more when looking a NYCPM students but what someone said in another thread about the highest ranking student only having a 3.6, that's true with us from what some third years told me. If you're a glutton for punishment like me lol and can handle the heat from the kitchen, NYCPM will prepare you well for clinicals and residency. If you think you might struggle or are really worried you might be someone who can't pass, I'd advise you to look at some of the other schools. We lost 6 kids last semester and looking at some of the class test scores/averages this semester might be on track to lose another 10ish. There is a real danger of you not being able to make it when past classes in general started with a 100ish kids and graduated with 75ish. We also basically have tests/quizzes every week many times twice a week. NYCPM is tough, just know what you're getting yourself into and not just go completely off location.

You have to go where you think you'll be able to best succeed. Some students might prefer weekly tests to keep them on top of things but at the same time constantly stressed while others might prefer more spaced out tests that count for more. Make sure to ask other students how their test schedules look and make the best pick for what kind of student/learner you are. Things I wish I knew/considered when applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing with the doctor I used to work for, she was really hard on me with sometimes impossible expectations/demands but in hindsight this tough love approach only made me stronger and I'm thankful for it instead of having an easy hand holding experience.
After being a CNA, a medical assistant, working at a wound clinic and a dental assistant there are 3 things, I realized, that are certain in life...
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Most doctors are dicks haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also advice for all prepods that I only learned recently. NYCPM usually has the lowest averages among all the school and also among the highest attrition because they really like to weed out weaker students before the boards roll by. The upperclassmen say that residency directors already kinda know this so they take that into consideration and also use class rank more when looking a NYCPM students but what someone said in another thread about the highest ranking student only having a 3.6, that's true with us from what some third years told me. If you're a glutton for punishment like me lol and can handle the heat from the kitchen, NYCPM will prepare you well for clinicals and residency. If you think you might struggle or are really worried you might be someone who can't pass, I'd advise you to look at some of the other schools. We lost 6 kids last semester and looking at some of the class test scores/averages this semester might be on track to lose another 10ish. There is a real danger of you not being able to make it when past classes in general started with a 100ish kids and graduated with 75ish. We also basically have tests/quizzes every week many times twice a week. NYCPM is tough, just know what you're getting yourself into and not just go completely off location.

You have to go where you think you'll be able to best succeed. Some students might prefer weekly tests to keep them on top of things but at the same time constantly stressed while others might prefer more spaced out tests that count for more. Make sure to ask other students how their test schedules look and make the best pick for what kind of student/learner you are. Things I wish I knew/considered when applying.

I agree that Stony is pretty tough when it comes to the pre-med classes, and I guess, its true for the most of the public colleges here in NY. Like, the science courses at Cuny-Hunter/City College are pretty challenging, especially, when compared to a private institution like St.John's (orgo here is a joke).

But, dang, the attrition rate sounds terrible at NYCPM. But, I also understand why they do it though, Pod school is as difficult as medical school, and not everyone is up for that challenge.

So what happens when someone fails a course? Do they get to remediate through a final exam/repeat the class, or get kicked out? And, which class do you think weeds the most people out, as in, which course is difficult than others (I'm going to guess Anatomy)?

Last edited:
Quick Q:

I have minimum credits + more for matriculation, although my externship will not be complete until late'ish June. It's 2 credits I need for my graduation, although I am walking in May, my official diploma won't be available until July something'th. I will have my diploma before day of classes 99.999%, just in case the .001% happens do schools require BA/BS prior? I'm sure they won't break my balls if it's just a externship, but I am still curious.

Quick Q:

I have minimum credits + more for matriculation, although my externship will not be complete until late'ish June. It's 2 credits I need for my graduation, although I am walking in May, my official diploma won't be available until July something'th. I will have my diploma before day of classes 99.999%, just in case the .001% happens do schools require BA/BS prior? I'm sure they won't break my balls if it's just a externship, but I am still curious.
You don't need a Bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. You're good.

I agree that Stony is pretty tough when it comes to the pre-med classes, and I guess, its true for the most of the public colleges here in NY. Like, the science courses at Cuny-Hunter/City College are pretty challenging, especially, when compared to a private institution like St.John's (orgo here is a joke).

But, dang, the attrition rate sounds terrible at NYCPM. But, I also understand why they do it though, Pod school is as difficult as medical school, and not everyone is up for that challenge.

So what happens when someone fails a course? Do they get to remediate through a final exam/repeat the class, or get kicked out? And, which class do you think weeds the most people out, as in, which course is difficult than others (I'm going to guess Anatomy)?

At NYCPM, the policy is you need above a 70 or above to pass. There are no curves on exams. If you finish with between a 60-69 avg you are eligible for a retest during break with usually a week in between your last final and the retest to study. Retests are generally harder because they are always cumulative even when the final for that class might not have been. Like for instance in anatomy there is no final, just 3 big tests that are divided by body sections but the retest is ALL the material and its a damn lot. They don't tell you your score on the retest, just if you passed or failed, you need a 70 or above to pass. If you ended up with below a 60 avg in a class you're automatically kicked out, no retest. If you failed more than 2 courses you're not eligible to retest and again you're kicked out. There's an appeal process, but none of the kids last semester who appealed were allowed back in as January students or September 2021. From the 6 we lost, 2 left halfway through the semester because I believe they were doing poorly, 1 left at the end due to family reasons but she was a good student apparently, and the other 3 failed 3+ classes. We had a few retesters and they all managed to pass. The difficult classes first semester are biochem and neuroscience imo, maybe histology. The real killer second semester is like you guessed anatomy, that's what the upperclassmen say weeds the most students and that's the class I was referring to regarding the test averages we might lose another 10. That anatomy retest is a death sentence. Physio might also give you some trouble. Like I said before none of the students got their appeals to remediate approved but NYCPM doesn't make you just repeat that one class, they make you repeat ALL the classes again even the ones you passed no problem. From what I've read from the other students at different schools, they are a lot more lenient and forgiving.

Also we have an annoying attendance policy where you need to attend 70% of the classes or you lose 5 points off your average. This wasn't so bad last semester but this semester it's annoying with so many class hours of physio that I'd rather be doing anatomy or immuno studying with. Timmy and Bob at Barry and Temple said in an old thread how they find skipping classes to study on their own much more beneficial and productive. Lucky them.

Every school has its faults and positives. The adcoms like to only show you the nice stuff and make sure our student ambassadors do the same during interviews. I'd be doing you guys a disservice not highlighting the annoying/not so nice stuff they conveniently forget to mention.

At NYCPM, the policy is you need above a 70 or above to pass. There are no curves on exams. If you finish with between a 60-69 avg you are eligible for a retest during break with usually a week in between your last final and the retest to study. Retests are generally harder because they are always cumulative even when the final for that class might not have been. Like for instance in anatomy there is no final, just 3 big tests that are divided by body sections but the retest is ALL the material and its a damn lot. They don't tell you your score on the retest, just if you passed or failed, you need a 70 or above to pass. If you ended up with below a 60 avg in a class you're automatically kicked out, no retest. If you failed more than 2 courses you're not eligible to retest and again you're kicked out. There's an appeal process, but none of the kids last semester who appealed were allowed back in as January students or September 2021. From the 6 we lost, 2 left halfway through the semester because I believe they were doing poorly, 1 left at the end due to family reasons but she was a good student apparently, and the other 3 failed 3+ classes. We had a few retesters and they all managed to pass. The difficult classes first semester are biochem and neuroscience imo, maybe histology. The real killer second semester is like you guessed anatomy, that's what the upperclassmen say weeds the most students and that's the class I was referring to regarding the test averages we might lose another 10. That anatomy retest is a death sentence. Physio might also give you some trouble. Like I said before none of the students got their appeals to remediate approved but NYCPM doesn't make you just repeat that one class, they make you repeat ALL the classes again even the ones you passed no problem. From what I've read from the other students at different schools, they are a lot more lenient and forgiving.

Also we have an annoying attendance policy where you need to attend 70% of the classes or you lose 5 points off your average. This wasn't so bad last semester but this semester it's annoying with so many class hours of physio that I'd rather be doing anatomy or immuno studying with. Timmy and Bob at Barry and Temple said in an old thread how they find skipping classes to study on their own much more beneficial and productive. Lucky them.

Every school has its faults and positives. The adcoms like to only show you the nice stuff and make sure our student ambassadors do the same during interviews. I'd be doing you guys a disservice not highlighting the annoying/not so nice stuff they conveniently forget to mention.

This is part of the problem too even with the marketing of podiatry.

You explaining things this ways gives a whole new meaning to pod school. I could see myself in the shoes of one the 3 students. Only because throughout undergrad I've been the type to leave things til very very late. Even taking an L in some instances due to pure laziness. That clearly will not work in pod school. Each class counts and it's not really a case of overall cumulative being at a certain mark regardless of what happens in a particular class.

Very insightful! Thank you!

Any words on the partying and social culture? I would assume too much time hanging out contributes to the low grades?

II at Temple and Kent State, within 10 minutes of being verified.

Edit: II at CSPM, Western

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II at Temple and Kent State, within 10 minutes of being verified.

Edit: II at CSPM, Western

During interviews get a feel for the location/campus, students, and staff.

Go with your gut and pick the one you like the most.
Don't read into the hype here until after your interviews are over.

You may find the consensus and stigmas for each school on these forums completely wrong.

And please fill out School Survey after each interview while you're waiting for your flight home.

Podiatry School Reviews List | Student Doctor Network

I submitted my application March 20th 11pm and got my Kent/Temple Interview invites when I woke up the next morning. It takes 30 seconds to look at a profile, considering they aren't receiving 5 a day the turn around is quick. Book your interviews quick Pod. Kent is holding a seat for me pending MCAT.

I submitted my application March 20th 11pm and got my Kent/Temple Interview invites when I woke up the next morning. It takes 30 seconds to look at a profile, considering they aren't receiving 5 a day the turn around is quick. Book your interviews quick Pod. Kent is holding a seat for me pending MCAT.

What did Temple say? Are they waiting for the MCAT score as well?

" ...At this time we are holding a decision on your application until we have received an official Medical College Admissions Test competitive with the current applicant pool...".
From Temple.

" ...At this time we are holding a decision on your application until we have received an official Medical College Admissions Test competitive with the current applicant pool...".
From Temple.

Nice. I'm surprised they said "competitive"..lol

I asked because I just added them in the list to apply as well, but I want to be in NY so hopefully, its NYCPM, if not, then Temple!

Nice. I'm surprised they said "competitive"..lol

I asked because I just added them in the list to apply as well, but I want to be in NY so hopefully, its NYCPM, if not, then Temple!

I just will go wherever I get the most money.

Would any podiatry schools accept you if you won't have taken 8 credits of physics by the time school starts? Asking for a friend...

It is indeed interesting at the very least.

I am in favor of restricting the number of schools. On the horizon, there seems to be a residency scare coming for MD/DO students with the explosion of new schools happening right now.

Podiatry has always been a grey area. I believe overall there will be a net positive shift of podiatry applicants next year with the DO grade replacement.

Interested in a Podiatry Career? A Good Podiatrist Will Soon Be Hard to Find - Healing Feet - NYC Podiatrist & Foot Doctor

This is a very interesting article and summarizes the future of the profession. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interested in a Podiatry Career? A Good Podiatrist Will Soon Be Hard to Find - Healing Feet - NYC Podiatrist & Foot Doctor

This is a very interesting article and summarizes the future of the profession. Let me know what you guys think.

Top is a little biased but bottom is accurate about schools needing to be more selective to provide lower attrition rates.

Rest of it looks like a typical clinic setting. In-house labs and even a gait lab. 2 offices in NY....I'm trying to imagine the overhead. Lots of elective.

Reactions: 1 user
It is indeed interesting at the very least.

I am in favor of restricting the number of schools. On the horizon, there seems to be a residency scare coming for MD/DO students with the explosion of new schools happening right now.

Podiatry has always been a grey area. I believe overall there will be a net positive shift of podiatry applicants next year with the DO grade replacement.

That's what I said on here a week back and no one really backed me on that. Actually I was being told postbaccs will be the winner actually and not podiatry.

That's what I said on here a week back and no one really backed me on that. Actually I was being told postbaccs will be the winner actually and not podiatry.

I have a feeling that once people know about podiatry as a viable option to become a doctor, many more will go down that road, similar to how the DOs were back in the 60s.

Podiatry is about 40 years behind in terms of marketing and branding themselves.

Yup I totally agree with this. For some, a post-bacc would just mean more expense toward an uncertain end when you could just start podiatry school and get your life started.

Yup I totally agree with this. For some, a post-bacc would just mean more expense toward an uncertain end when you could just start podiatry school and get your life started.

Yep. Even the most guaranteed post baccs linkages like LECOM have a 3.0 minimum requirement. What if you have a rocky starting semester and end up with a 2.7 (B-). You are OUT of there. With Podiatry school you could have a rocky start and end up with a 3.0, meeting many of the minimum requirements for residency. Heck, even if you are barely passing with a 2.0, there are foot focused programs out there that would take you if you arnt picky about location and you are a team player.

And don't even get me started with the Caribbean. Everyone thinks that they are gonna be in the top 70% of the class, even the ones at the bottom.

Any good looking single people in the class?
Wouldn't know I reached out to a friend. Why is that where you are headed? I am highly considering applying but interviewing for a waitlist isn't fun financially

Wouldn't know I reached out to a friend. Why is that where you are headed? I am highly considering applying but interviewing for a waitlist isn't fun financially

Yeah, don't apply just for a waitlist.

I got into Midwestern. Good school.

How long did it take everyone to hear from midwestern after their interview regarding acceptance/rejection info

Thanks for the replies.

How long did it take everyone to hear from midwestern after their interview regarding acceptance/rejection info

Thanks for the replies.
I think someone said Midwestern's class is full, so I know that doesn't answer your question but just wanted to let you know!