AACPMAS 2018- 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted my application! I am super excited to begin this process of becoming a Podiatrist!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those applying.

Did they come out with the final total of people who applied during the 2017-2018 year and the stats? I heard from many people apps were down last app cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to all those applying.

Did they come out with the final total of people who applied during the 2017-2018 year and the stats? I heard from many people apps were down last app cycle.
I have not see any numbers yet. Want to see them as well.

I want to see average stats as well.

It is very interesting that if numbers are down, schools are able to maintain it even get higher average stats for matriculated class.

That's all what matters, I guess. Podiatry schools pick like 600 students out of like 1000 applicants and some schools have near DO averages, while MD schools have 50K+ pool for 21K seats.

Hi y'all! Quick question. I have 3/4 of my application filled out. All that is left is my SOP final draft and E-LOR submissions. Im wating for my transcripts to come through too.

I want to wait at least a month/two before asking for a strong LOR from the DPM that I'm working for. Would it be safe to hold my application until at least the end of September/early October? Or should I submit in a week or two and have my DPM and other LORs pending? When do schools start interviewing? Getting excited!!! Thanks for your help!
Either way will work. I would advise yo wait until the app is complete. You have lots of time.

Has anyone that sent transcripts via mail had a status change to received or varified? My registrar sent mine out on the 1st - just paranoid they got lost!

Has anyone that sent transcripts via mail had a status change to received or varified? My registrar sent mine out on the 1st - just paranoid they got lost!
I was worried mine got lost too as i also sent it in Aug. 1st, but seeing ur message makes me think that maybe AACPMAS is not actively sorting their mail and updating applicants' statuses. im not sure but ur not alone!

Edit: Literally 2 minutes after posting this I was notified by email that my transcript was received.

Last edited:
I was worried mine got lost too as i also sent it in Aug. 1st, but seeing ur message makes me think that maybe AACPMAS is not actively sorting their mail and updating applicants' statuses. im not sure but ur not alone!

Edit: Literally 2 minutes after posting this I was notified by email that my transcript was received.

Haha thanks for your response. Glad I’m not alone and have some support. Mine were just received as well, go figure!

Has anyone else had trouble sending Letters of Recommendation to the schools? I received my letters via Interfolio, however when I try to upload them onto the AACPMAS application it does not work.
Scholls replied back to me that I am okay to send the letters of recommendation directly to their admissions email, however DMU said that they required applicants to upload them on the AACPMAS application.

Does anyone know how to upload the letters from Interfolio to AACPMAS? I have not been able to get an answer from Interfolio or AACPMAS.

Has anyone else had trouble sending Letters of Recommendation to the schools? I received my letters via Interfolio, however when I try to upload them onto the AACPMAS application it does not work.
Scholls replied back to me that I am okay to send the letters of recommendation directly to their admissions email, however DMU said that they required applicants to upload them on the AACPMAS application.

Does anyone know how to upload the letters from Interfolio to AACPMAS? I have not been able to get an answer from Interfolio or AACPMAS.
If I remember correctly, I sent letters directly to schools.

When I applied, I couldn't find a way to upload LORs to AACPMAS.

I doubt you understood them. On DMU website, under FAQ it says:

Where should I send my letters of recommendation?
We prefer to receive letters electronically, directly from the letter writers, via the following sources:

Letters may also be mailed to:

CPMS Admission
3200 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50312
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 515.271.7190

DMU-CPMS requires 2 letters of recommendation:

• 1 letter from a D.P.M. with whom you’ve shadowed
  • 1 letter from a professor, advisor or committee

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, I sent letters directly to schools.

When I applied, I couldn't find a way to upload LORs to AACPMAS.

I doubt you understood them. On DMU website, under FAQ it says:

Where should I send my letters of recommendation?
We prefer to receive letters electronically, directly from the letter writers, via the following sources:

Letters may also be mailed to:

CPMS Admission
3200 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50312
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 515.271.7190

DMU-CPMS requires 2 letters of recommendation:

• 1 letter from a D.P.M. with whom you’ve shadowed
  • 1 letter from a professor, advisor or committee

That is what I thought as well, however after speaking with the admissions department via live chat I received this response.

"Yes, we changed our process this cycle because AACPMAS is able to accommodate this process. I have verified that letters have to be sent through AACPMAS. My recommendation would be to contact your letter writers and let them know of the process change and ask them to submit their letters via the AACPMAS prompt they receive (they'll receive this prompt once you add their email to your application)."

The lady later responded that I would be able to be interviewed by DMU prior to submitting the LORs, so there is not a huge rush to contact those who wrote them and ask them to upload them to AACPMAS. But still it seems strange that they are not accepting Interfolio sent letters anymore.

That is what I thought as well, however after speaking with the admissions department via live chat I received this response.

"Yes, we changed our process this cycle because AACPMAS is able to accommodate this process. I have verified that letters have to be sent through AACPMAS. My recommendation would be to contact your letter writers and let them know of the process change and ask them to submit their letters via the AACPMAS prompt they receive (they'll receive this prompt once you add their email to your application)."

The lady later responded that I would be able to be interviewed by DMU prior to submitting the LORs, so there is not a huge rush to contact those who wrote them and ask them to upload them to AACPMAS. But still it seems strange that they are not accepting Interfolio sent letters anymore.
I will look up and try to get back

Reactions: 1 user

Possible scenario:

-AACPMAS talked big but did not deliver or update in order to have letters uploaded.

I would send letters directly to schools. For DMU specifically, I would continue on without LORs until after your interview.

Ok, did you figure it out?

If not, I will post on how to do this.

Alright. I am not saying it will work 100%, but I am pretty sure it will. Please give it a try. You will receive a confirmation from AACPMAS in 48 hours that they got it.

1. Go to Interfolio

2. Login

3. Go to Dossier

4. Go to Deliveries

5. Click on "New Delivery"

6. Choose last option- "Confidential Letter Upload"

7. Confidential Letter Upload

Select the method that your online application uses to request and receive letters of recommendation.

Request Method:

**** choose this one****
You enter your recommenders’ email addresses

The online application you’re using asks you to enter the email addresses of the people who will write your letters of recommendation.

Request Method:

You provide a link to your recommenders

The online application you’re using gives you a link to a website (URL) where the authors of your letters of recommendation can upload your letters.

8. Click NEXT

9. Select a letter

10. Click Next

11. Now, log into the online application system. For each letter, use the email address provided below instead of the recommender's email address. Show me an example.Opens in new window

Interfolio will receive the automated request email sent by the online application system, and will upload the corresponding letter using the link provided in the automated email.

How to: Upload a Confidential Letter to an Online Application System | Help for Your Dossier | Help Center

ADDED: go to link above, it has video and pictures.

To do all this you have to pay or have dossier membership or something to send like 40 letters in a year.

Last edited:
When you go to AACPMAS, on evaluations page, you make a request as if you would request from a real writer. The only difference is that email you provide isn't the letter writer's, BUT email generated by Interfolio. It will look something like this: [email protected]

Has anyone heard about interviews yet?
I think it's still too early for IIs. My app still needs to get verified and I submitted on opening day. Last year's cycle, people started getting IIs towards the end of August/beginning of September, so it's best to just wait for right now until then.

Do you guys suggest applying to all schools or only to ones you really want to go to (and then if you don't get in send apps to the other schools? I'm just worried about my chances because i probably won't have everything ready until Dec/Jan.

Do you guys suggest applying to all schools or only to ones you really want to go to (and then if you don't get in send apps to the other schools? I'm just worried about my chances because i probably won't have everything ready until Dec/Jan.

No, don't apply to all 9 schools, choose 3-4 from the 9; make a final decision after interviews.
March is still considered "early" for the pod cycle so there is plenty of time.

I suggest doing this.
Thanks for the advice guys! For more competitive schools (like midwestern or DMU) would it be better to apply as early as I can to increase my chance of acceptance , or should I wait until at least the fall semster’s grades are in for a possible boost in gpa?

Thanks for the advice guys! For more competitive schools (like midwestern or DMU) would it be better to apply as early as I can to increase my chance of acceptance , or should I wait until at least the fall semster’s grades are in for a possible boost in gpa?

What are your stats now?

I am trying to calculate my sGPA and when I look at AACPMAS they say they check science GPA, non-science GPA, and total GPA. But there is an FAQ and they say that they include math & stats for sGPA. Should I calc with or without math? I'm pretty confused on which one to follow. Also when I go to add courses to my transcript do I include classes that I had to take as S/NC and will that affect my GPA?

Alright. I am not saying it will work 100%, but I am pretty sure it will. Please give it a try. You will receive a confirmation from AACPMAS in 48 hours that they got it.

1. Go to Interfolio

2. Login

3. Go to Dossier

4. Go to Deliveries

5. Click on "New Delivery"

6. Choose last option- "Confidential Letter Upload"

7. Confidential Letter Upload

Select the method that your online application uses to request and receive letters of recommendation.

Request Method:

**** choose this one****
You enter your recommenders’ email addresses

The online application you’re using asks you to enter the email addresses of the people who will write your letters of recommendation.

Request Method:

You provide a link to your recommenders

The online application you’re using gives you a link to a website (URL) where the authors of your letters of recommendation can upload your letters.

8. Click NEXT

9. Select a letter

10. Click Next

11. Now, log into the online application system. For each letter, use the email address provided below instead of the recommender's email address. Show me an example.Opens in new window

Interfolio will receive the automated request email sent by the online application system, and will upload the corresponding letter using the link provided in the automated email.

How to: Upload a Confidential Letter to an Online Application System | Help for Your Dossier | Help Center

ADDED: go to link above, it has video and pictures.

To do all this you have to pay or have dossier membership or something to send like 40 letters in a year.
Thank you so much!

I just tried this and it looks like it worked. That's a relief!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I am trying to calculate my sGPA and when I look at AACPMAS they say they check science GPA, non-science GPA, and total GPA. But there is an FAQ and they say that they include math & stats for sGPA. Should I calc with or without math? I'm pretty confused on which one to follow. Also when I go to add courses to my transcript do I include classes that I had to take as S/NC and will that affect my GPA?
S/NC is it like Pass/Fail? You have to include the course, but I am not sure it will count for your GPA.

If I remember, my stats course was not considered into sGPA.

But what would you suggest for someone with an average MCAT (somewhere between 480s-490s) and a low gpa (lets say around 3.0 and 2.7sgpa also)
480-490 is not average.

Someone with 3.0, 2.7 GPA and MCAT score lower than 490 has low chances. I wouldn't even accept them into DPM program.

But you have nothing to worry about, 525 MCAT will open all the doors for you.

480-490 is not average.

Someone with 3.0, 2.7 GPA and MCAT score lower than 490 has low chances. I wouldn't even accept them into DPM program.

But you have nothing to worry about, 525 MCAT will open all the doors for you.
Yeah i'm not too worried anymore. I was worried the discrepancy between my gpa and mcat would look bad or be a red flag but it seems like i'll be okay. I was asking about low mcat for my friend who has a low gpa. and i just asked her about her mcat and she said she has a 495. do you think she has a good shot? she's retaking it in september-what would be a good score to give her a good chance?

Yeah i'm not too worried anymore. I was worried the discrepancy between my gpa and mcat would look bad or be a red flag but it seems like i'll be okay. I was asking about low mcat for my friend who has a low gpa. and i just asked her about her mcat and she said she has a 495. do you think she has a good shot? she's retaking it in september-what would be a good score to give her a good chance?
You say she has low GPA. How low?

495 MCAT is good enough. Anything higher is definitely better.

You say she has low GPA. How low?

495 MCAT is good enough. Anything higher is definitely better.
she said her cgpa is 3.2. her sgpa is low at 2.7. should she apply as early as possible to increase her chance of acceptance or wait until after her MCAT retake/fall semester grades?

she said her cgpa is 3.2. her sgpa is low at 2.7. should she apply as early as possible to increase her chance of acceptance or wait until after her MCAT retake/fall semester grades?
It depends. Generally, I think 495 score along with 3.2 is good enough to get interviews at most schools. To wait or not for the new score can also depend on practice scores she is getting so far.

I would probably apply with 3.2 cGPA and 495 MCAT.

3.1 gpa, BCPM gpa is 2.7 . i have really meaningful ECs, some shadowing of doctors (will be getting osme DPM shadowing hours later this month) , EMT cert

dam dude did you study during undergrad? lol
MCAT score is a killer...Congrats. You could have revied very sweet scholarships if your GPAs were a bit better...in any case..you will have few acceptances.

Knowing what I know now, 3.0+ and 490+ seems to be the "in the running" scores for most schools. I would hesitate to apply with less unless I had a compensating factor, i.e, Id apply with a 487 if I had a 3.8 GPA or apply with a 2.8 if I had a 509.

I wonder if there is gonna be an applicant shortage this year. Seems like stats held steady, despite less people applying. Maybe they were picky this year? More quality apps vs quantity? Pods students plugged into admissions, whats the word on the street?

I wonder about this cycle also. In my class there were some pretty good Mcat scores and GPAs despite the appearent shortage.

I had a 3.3 cGPA 2.87 sGPA 496 MCAT.

But I also had a 3.75 M.S., research, plenty of job experience and ECs.

Tell her to score as high as she can on the MCAT.
If that doesn't work, get the sGPA to 3.0.

Another thing: Its not about getting in- its about finishing. Emphasize that to your friend.

S/NC is it like Pass/Fail? You have to include the course, but I am not sure it will count for your GPA.

If I remember, my stats course was not considered into sGPA.
S/NC is like pass or fail but 2 of the courses I took I had to take them as pass/fail instead of me opting to P/F so I don't know if that will lower my overall GPA. And also with your stats not counting as sGPA do they calc as BCP and not BCPM?

dam dude did you study during undergrad? lol
MCAT score is a killer...Congrats. You could have revied very sweet scholarships if your GPAs were a bit better...in any case..you will have few acceptances.
haha no i just had a rough first 2 years. I was first an engineering major and i struggled with those classes which in turn affected the time i could focus on my science prereqs(hence my really low sgpa). year 2 was better but i was dealing with a medical diagnosis/treatment. straight As last year though so hoping it'll be the same this year

I had a 3.3 cGPA 2.87 sGPA 496 MCAT.

But I also had a 3.75 M.S., research, plenty of job experience and ECs.

Tell her to score as high as she can on the MCAT.
If that doesn't work, get the sGPA to 3.0.

Another thing: Its not about getting in- its about finishing. Emphasize that to your friend.
Will definitely pass on that advice to her! Thank you!

Knowing what I know now, 3.0+ and 490+ seems to be the "in the running" scores for most schools. I would hesitate to apply with less unless I had a compensating factor, i.e, Id apply with a 487 if I had a 3.8 GPA or apply with a 2.8 if I had a 509.

I wonder if there is gonna be an applicant shortage this year. Seems like stats held steady, despite less people applying. Maybe they were picky this year? More quality apps vs quantity? Pods students plugged into admissions, whats the word on the street?
But is that 3.0+gpa just cgpa or sgpa? does one matter more over the other?

S/NC is like pass or fail but 2 of the courses I took I had to take them as pass/fail instead of me opting to P/F so I don't know if that will lower my overall GPA. And also with your stats not counting as sGPA do they calc as BCP and not BCPM?
Please look at the attachment. This is how it will look after your app will get verified. There are credits and GPAs on the right side that I cut off.

I am confused about BCPM and BCP. All I know that MD schools consider math and stats into Science GPA while DO and DPM do not.

Attachments

• 20180810_181218.jpg
    20180810_181218.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 139
Please look at the attachment. This is how it will look after your app will get verified. There are credits and GPAs on the right side that I cut off.

I am confused about BCPM and BCP. All I know that MD schools consider math and stats into Science GPA while DO and DPM do not.
Oh okay thank you for clarifying!

Both.

I would be concerned as an applicant if I were applying to Pod programs with less than a 3.0 GPA in science or overall. Pod school is tough, I view it just as hard as medical school, especially so the first 2 years. Even if you get into a Pod school, one has to get through it to actually be able to practice.

Thats why I dont understand white coat ceremonies, for all doctoral professions (Pharm, MD, Pod, OD, etc.). Shouldnt you get the coat after graduation, as that signifies you made it through the rigors? Seems like a premature celebration.

But is that 3.0+gpa just cgpa or sgpa? does one matter more over the other?