AACPMAS 2018- 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
690 seats? That’s a lot more than previous years (550ish).

I’m surprised they accepted so many students.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was a big number as well. Pulled the number out of one of our pod med lectures. 690 is the max enrollment numbers for all nine schools, though I’m sure not all of those seats are ever filled?

They are not. 550-600 is probably reasonable when its all done. I think anything below 600/yr is fine for the profession and for the residency placements (for now).

Just heard today that for a total of 690 seats, there was just short of 900 applicants this past cycle. Not sure if everyone had filled their seats though.
I know at least some were not filled. I was recently with some people representing WesternU and they only had 37 students for their 50 capacity class. They told me they are more concerned with finding students they feel will succeed and fit in with their class and school as opposed to filling seats just to make more money.

Now, this is only 13 short, but I would assume most all of the schools were at least several students short for one reason or another.

**edit
This information was from the 2017 class. 378 applications received, 118 interviewed, 37 enrolled, 3.23 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA with an average MCAT of 23/496.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be interesting to see how many DPMs are retiring each year. Can the market absorb 650+ new pods each year?

I got all excited when I saw that I got an email from Samuel Merritt, but it was just to say that they are looking over applications and will let me know about a potential interview invite in the future. Has anyone heard anything from Kent, DMU, Scholl, AZPOD, WesternU, or Samuel Merritt? I know people have heard from NY, Temple, and Barry.

I got all excited when I saw that I got an email from Samuel Merritt, but it was just to say that they are looking over applications and will let me know about a potential interview invite in the future. Has anyone heard anything from Kent, DMU, Scholl, AZPOD, WesternU, or Samuel Merritt? I know people have heard from NY, Temple, and Barry.
PM me

Has anyone heard anything from Kent, DMU, Scholl, AZPOD, WesternU, or Samuel Merritt?

AZPOD just sent me an email saying they received my app. Overall, I am more than satisfied with the quick responses from the schools; I wasn't expecting any responses until later this month.

Reactions: 1 users
Pod schools are by far the quickest professional school responses I have ever had. Plus, no secondary applications! Saves a couple hundred bucks right there.

I just received this from Samuel Merrit, but I am confused. On the application, it only asked for me to enter my AAMC ID number and my scores. Has anyone else seen this or know how to help me?

Attachments

• dk.png
    dk.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 116
I just received this from Samuel Merrit, but I am confused. On the application, it only asked for me to enter my AAMC ID number and my scores. Has anyone else seen this or know how to help me?
Did you send your scores electronically?

Reactions: 1 user

You need to log on to the AAMC website that shows your MCAT score. Where there should be an option to send your scores electronically. Select AACPMAS and check off the two boxes to send it on over.

This is pretty much what my screened looked like after I sent my scores. However, whenever I download a PDF of my app from the "Status" section on the AACPMAS dashboard, it still says unofficial MCAT. Did I do something wrong, or did AACPMAS not receive my scores yet?
aacpmas mcat.jpg

This is pretty much what my screened looked like after I sent my scores. However, whenever I download a PDF of my app from the "Status" section on the AACPMAS dashboard, it still says unofficial MCAT. Did I do something wrong, or did AACPMAS not receive my scores yet?View attachment 238876
this is the case with me as well. I sent my scores that way on August 1st and AACPMAS still hasn't received my scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, quick question: Is it better to submit my application in now (with my transcripts and personal statement and other info like achievements/exp) without my LORs and MCAT score? Or should I wait for my letters to come in and then wait for MCAT score. I'm taking MCAT Sept. 1 which means scores are released ~1 month later...

Also, the reason I am asking is because my stats are kind of low, so I want to apply early (sGPA: 3.05, cGPA: 3.42).
Also, my second LOR is coming from a pod (hopefully) after I shadow in the beginning of Sept....

Advice?
(I think my MCAT will be around the 495 mark based off of practice FLs.)

Hey guys, quick question: Is it better to submit my application in now (with my transcripts and personal statement and other info like achievements/exp) without my LORs and MCAT score?

You can submit your app now if you want. Some schools will grant you an interview invite without having an MCAT/LORs. Your GPAs are fine for the most part; just inform the schools that you do plan on taking your MCAT soon and send them your LORs when you get the chance.

What are the schools that people have heard back from and when/how do you know if you don't get an interview invite to the school?

What are the schools that people have heard back from and when/how do you know if you don't get an interview invite to the school?
they have emailed or called me.
Submitted: 8/13
Verified: 8/17
Barry, Temple, CSPM, and Kent State so far.

Does anyone know if Scholl has sent out interviews yet?

Last edited:
Regarding your second question:
-They email or call or send you snail mail or do a combo of all 3
-There are only 9 schools. You can do the math after you get an invite to see which school havn't offered an invite.
-Schools will email you about your application status when they have received it.

You can submit your app now if you want. Some schools will grant you an interview invite without having an MCAT/LORs. Your GPAs are fine for the most part; just inform the schools that you do plan on taking your MCAT soon and send them your LORs when you get the chance.

My personal statement doesn't mention shadowing in podiatry, do you think I should tweak the essay after shadowing and then ultimately wait on submitting?

My personal statement doesn't mention shadowing in podiatry, do you think I should tweak the essay after shadowing and then ultimately wait on submitting?
It is your personal statement.
What do you think?

- Will I gain any significant experiences from shadowing that narrows down the question "Why podiatry?"
- Will adding my shadowing experience add value to my statement?
- Am I adding something that cannot already be read in my CV/Resume?

they have emailed or called me.
Submitted: 8/13
Verified: 8/17
Barry, Temple, CSPM, and Kent State so far.

You got an ii from Kent? They sent me an email that said, "
Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by the Enrollment Management Committee in the coming weeks. During the review process, members of the committee will be reviewing components of your candidacy, including academic credentials, personal statement, shadowing experiences and other items on your application.

You will be notified of your application status following the committee meeting. This notification will likely happen in the next two to three weeks."

As for CSPM, I did get an ii from them. AZPOD sent an email last week saying they were starting to look over my application. Still haven't heard from School, WesternU, or DMU.

You got an ii from Kent? They sent me an email that said, "
Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by the Enrollment Management Committee in the coming weeks. During the review process, members of the committee will be reviewing components of your candidacy, including academic credentials, personal statement, shadowing experiences and other items on your application.

You will be notified of your application status following the committee meeting. This notification will likely happen in the next two to three weeks."

As for CSPM, I did get an ii from them. AZPOD sent an email last week saying they were starting to look over my application. Still haven't heard from School, WesternU, or DMU.
yes I just got the ll from Kent this morning! I did get that email from AZPOD as well stating they're looking over.

Last edited:
do you think I should tweak the essay after shadowing and then ultimately wait on submitting?

Weirdy hit the head on your question. I personally did not mention podiatry shadowing because I had other experiences that were more substantial and answered the question better in my own context and style.

to anyone who has a verified app, did they end up using any of your math courses like calculus in your science GPA?

It is your personal statement.
What do you think?

- Will I gain any significant experiences from shadowing that narrows down the question "Why podiatry?"
- Will adding my shadowing experience add value to my statement?
- Am I adding something that cannot already be read in my CV/Resume?

Yes, yes, and yes. Lol. Thanks man, :smack:

Several days ago I had an ii from CSPM and today finalized a date in October to go out for the interview. I am hoping to hear back from other schools soon. Anyone heard from DMU or AZPOD yet?

Is anyone still waiting for their MCAT score to be verified by AACPMAS? I submitted it on 8/1, but it is still not showing up as official.
I am in the same boat. I submitted my Mcat score the first week and it still says unofficial score on my application.

On my Midwestern portal account, it still says that the only thing they are waiting on is my exam score.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Did you get these in email form or on the portal website?
I received an email from them to make an account on their portal this morning. Then this afternoon I received a separate email from them about scheduling an interview.

I received an email from them to make an account on their portal this morning. Then this afternoon I received a separate email from them about scheduling an interview.

Thanks. I'm probably behind because I was a dumb and never released my official MCAT scores until like a week ago. Hopefully I will get a few more invites in the next week or so.

Do any of you have top picks for schools? And if so, why that school? I keep telling my wife when she asks me this question that they are all in my top ten... she doesn't think it is as funny as I do.

Do any of you have top picks for schools? And if so, why that school? I keep telling my wife when she asks me this question that they are all in my top ten... she doesn't think it is as funny as I do.
My wife and I are currently torn between DMU and Temple. We love the Philadelphia area and the clinic there. But we have had friends that attended DMU and loved it, plus the cost of living there is pretty low.

Reactions: 2 users
My wife and I are currently torn between DMU and Temple. We love the Philadelphia area and the clinic there. But we have had friends that attended DMU and loved it, plus the cost of living there is pretty low.

That's about where we are, but with the California schools and DMU. Plus, it seems like in the past that DMU hands out scholarships much more willingly than many of the other schools, which makes it even cheaper.

So far, I have IIs from Barry, Temple, Kent, and DMU (waiting on AZPOD and Western). As of right now, I'm leaning towards Barry. My rationale is pretty much:

1. I live in Florida, so I can easily visit family/friends at home and I am already acclimated to the weather.
2. Respectable CPME outcomes.
3. Located in Miami, which is a popular metropolis that has great food and entertainment.
4. Unique foot and ankle pathologies that you may not encounter as often as other pod school cities.
5. Diverse student population.

Overall, CPME outcomes are important, but I strongly believe that competency and success is mostly up to the student, so as long as you believe you can achieve those two things, you will shine wherever you go. Hope that helps.

Overall, CPME outcomes are important, but I strongly believe that competency and success is mostly up to the student, so as long as you believe you can achieve those two things, you will shine wherever you go. Hope that helps.

Yeah, I agree. The top students at each school will be top anywhere. If you are worried about not passing boards, its not like one school will get you to pass them more so than another school. I feel like at this point I am splitting hairs and will probably just choose the cheapest, otherwise WesternU is nice because it is by Disneyland, and my wife likes that. Haha.

Well, deff make a pro and con list.

Personally, if I was torn, I would look at the cheapest school. I’ve heard great things about both schools. I don’t like large city living, so I would personally pick DMU.

Definitely look at the pro and con list (disclaimer: DMU alum) and I ultimately decided on DMU. Cost plays a role but also look at board pass rates, residency placement rates, etc. At least when I went to school DMU was the cheapest but also the highest quality when I was looking.

I wouldn't make a decision based on school clinics. They are all bad. The money comes with your off-site rotations.

Hi everyone!! First time posting on SDN and I am very excited yet nervous at the same time with the application process. I knew I wanted to become a podiatrist ever since I can remember and it is finally beginning. I graduated from undergrad a semester early in Dec 2017. Took the MCAT in June 2018 and got a 493 :)(not my very best but i was busy working to pay off loans and it was hard for me to study) and turned in almost everything for my application (except still writing my personal statement). I have not calculated my science GPA according to the AACPMAS guidelines but I did graduate Magna Cum Laude 3.7 GPA. I think I want to go to AZPOD, but I also want to go to NYCPM because they can start in January and I do not want to waste anymore time not being in school. What are my chances??

You are golden with that GPA at all Pod schools. Get that pod letter of rec!

Hi everyone!! First time posting on SDN and I am very excited yet nervous at the same time with the application process. I knew I wanted to become a podiatrist ever since I can remember and it is finally beginning. I graduated from undergrad a semester early in Dec 2017. Took the MCAT in June 2018 and got a 493 :)(not my very best but i was busy working to pay off loans and it was hard for me to study) and turned in almost everything for my application (except still writing my personal statement). I have not calculated my science GPA according to the AACPMAS guidelines but I did graduate Magna Cum Laude 3.7 GPA. I think I want to go to AZPOD, but I also want to go to NYCPM because they can start in January and I do not want to waste anymore time not being in school. What are my chances??

Finally got my official MCAT scores posted... that was a nightmare. They kept "losing them" or else it "got hung up in the change over from AAMC to the AACPMAS". But, this morning they were verified and the schools should have access to them now, so, hopefully I will start hearing back from more schools within the week. Go team Pre-Pod!

Reactions: 3 users
If I submit an app to one school now and it gets verified and then I send in apps to other schools, do those other apps have to wait their own turn to get verified, or do all potential apps get "verified" after submitting the 1st one? Thanks.

If I submit an app to one school now and it gets verified and then I send in apps to other schools, do those other apps have to wait their own turn to get verified, or do all potential apps get "verified" after submitting the 1st one? Thanks.
Your general app, especially academic work is getting verified by AACPMAS based on official transcripts. Once that is done, your apps can be viewed and accepted by the schools. I am not sure if even after you submit your initial app, AACPMAS sends that to any of the schools before it gets verified. Because verification also includes calculations of all of your GPAs.

For those who have submitted your application already are you guys still able to add electronic evaluation requests in?

I tried, but failed. It was easier for me to just send letters directly to the schools’ admissions email addresses.