AAH!! I got an A- in communications!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AAH! I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things... but getting an A in comm. would have raised my GPA and justified my reason for applying later (late AUG, early SEP). Its my first non-A in a non-science class.

MY gpa will now remain stagnant at a 3.43 (I have sucky science grades) :(

Sorry I just had to vent...

He gave out 7 A-'s.... no A's in the entire class... ridiculous... I got all A's on my speeches.. I just bombed the grammar component on the final.. which is ridiculous.. I'm pretty bad at grammar (please don't quote my post for this) but I've gotten a 4 in the AP comp test and all A's in my college papers.. I don't understand why he had to include that part as if I can't write papers because you NEED some old archaic grammar rules that aren't even used anymore.

BAH!! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't make it's way though. At least I hope that's what you were trying for.

imperial frog said:
Sometimes sarcasm doesn't make it's way though. At least I hope that's what you were trying for.

Seconded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the feeling of absolutely NEEDING an 'A', but finishing one step lower. It definitely feels like a punch to the gut, especially when you do so well only to be slammed by a minor assignment, etc, that brings you down..

PolarBear21 said:
AAH! I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things... but getting an A in comm. would have raised my GPA and justified my reason for applying later (late AUG, early SEP). Its my first non-A in a non-science class.

He gave out 7 A-'s.... no A's in the entire class... ridiculous... I got all A's on my speeches.. I just bombed the grammar component on the final.. which is ridiculous.. I'm pretty bad at grammar (please don't quote my post for this) but I've gotten a 4 in the AP comp test and all A's in my college papers.. I don't understand why he had to include that part as if I can't write papers because you NEED some old archaic grammar rules that aren't even used anymore.
RoomWhoCares.jpg

PolarBear21 said:

BAH!! :mad:

Such problems......

Seveneighty said:
I know the feeling of absolutely NEEDING an 'A', but finishing one step lower. It definitely feels like a punch to the gut, especially when you do so well only to be slammed by a minor assignment, etc, that brings you down..

I don't think final exams are exactly a minor assignment.

imperial frog said:
I don't think final exams are exactly a minor assignment.

Notice I said "etc", i.e., etcetera. Look up the definition of the word if you're unsure of its meaning. Then read the original post in this thread, which specifically states that a minor portion of the final exam (grammar) was what caused the drop in grade.

Thanks for your input, though. I welcome your attempt at correcting my "error".

Seveneighty said:
Notice I said "etc", i.e., etcetera. Look up the definition of the word if you're unsure of its meaning. Then read the original post in this thread, which specifically states that a minor portion of the final exam (grammar) was what caused the drop in grade.

Thanks for your input, though. I welcome your attempt at correcting my "error".

Ahh, I must have missed that part where the original poster specifically stated that it was a minor part of the final exam...probably because he/she didn't exactly say that. I'm thinking that if a component of an exam is weighted enough to result in a lower final grade despite the OP's stellar work throughout the semester, then perhaps it's not in the same category as a minor assignment.

Unless, of course, you're using "et cetera" to sloppily include anything regardless of whether it could properly be viewed as being in the same class or not. Granted the term has been bastardized over the years by people who can't seem to grasp it's proper usage and is often used to refer to just about anything under the sun, most people would probably assume that you were trying to link similar things, which was the reason for my reply.

But...no need to thank me for correcting your error...it's my pleasure to do so.

We got people who are posting that their career dreams may not come true because of grades and you are whining about an A-?

The implication is that nobody cares (because the room is empty). Apparently only area rugs give a darn.

that just happened to me too. I got an A- in English... that was my FIRST college course.. so i'm starting out college with a 3.7 gpa :(

Well I feel like I need to explain myself.. hmm well probably I can't... this is a pointless thread of just me venting that probably should have gone in my livejournal instead.. I guess I was hoping for some words of encouragement .. whoops lol

Well my Comm professor sets an A at 94%... isn't it suppose to be 93%? And I got A's on my speeches yet I got a poor grade on the grammar component which dropped my final exam grade from a 97%.. to a 88%, the final was only worth 15% of the total grade.

So my grade breakdown is...

Speech 1 (A = 95%) worth 10% of my grade
Speech 2 (A = 95%) worth 15% of my grade
Speech 3 (A = 95%) worth 20% of my grade
Speech 4 (A = 95%) worth 25% of my grade
Midterm (A- = 90%) worth 15% of my grade
Final (B+ = 88%) worth 15% of my grade

gives me... 93.2%.. which should be an A.. but is an A-.. I'm sorry but that makes no sense... I'm over it now though :) .. I was just really upset because I missed UOP's 1st tier deadline and raising my GPA really would have made me feel at least a little better about having to wait till 2nd tier..

And just to clarify I'm definately not one of those people who got A's in all their classes (bah I have a 3.17 science GPA for crying out loud :scared: ).. these little things just add up and suck!

JYim said:
that just happened to me too. I got an A- in English... that was my FIRST college course.. so i'm starting out college with a 3.7 gpa :(
Ouch!! How will you survive? :eek:

..a B+ in English was the BEST grade I received in my first university semester. Which is partially why I've spent the last 4 years recovering from that disaster.