Aamc 5 ps#1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsl5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A compound that significantly assists in Ozone depletion cannot be:

A) gas
B) radical precursor
C) inert in lower atmosphere
D) inert in upper atmosphere

Why is A the answer?

Members don't see this ad.

A compound that significantly assists in Ozone depletion cannot be:

A) gas
B) radical precursor
C) inert in lower atmosphere
D) inert in upper atmosphere

Why is A the answer?

If I recall correctly, the answer is passage based. Reread the passage.

Yeah I did that, I know from the passage info that B,C,D are incorrect, but was hoping someone could explain why A is correct (and not just because BCD are wrong).

Yeah I did that, I know from the passage info that B,C,D are incorrect, but was hoping someone could explain why A is correct (and not just because BCD are wrong).

Ozone is found in the upper atmosphere. Therefore, a compound that depletes ozone would have to be active in the upper atmosphere. If it were inert, then it wouldn't react with the ozone to cause it to deplete

Members don't see this ad :)
Ozone is found in the upper atmosphere. Therefore, a compound that depletes ozone would have to be active in the upper atmosphere. If it were inert, then it wouldn't react with the ozone to cause it to deplete
uh so the answer is D? Doesn't the passage state that CFCs are inert and can undergo photolysis even though its inert?

The answer is for sure D, I took this test last week. Something that is inert is by definition chemically un-reactive, think Helium, Argon, etc... they don't participate in reaction. In the passage it states that ozone is predominantly in the upper atmosphere. Therefore, a chemical that is an ozone depleter (is that a word) could not be inert in the upper atmosphere. If something undergoes photolysis, it is not the same molecule as before, so you can't classify it as inert, which they clearly are not if they react with ozone to deplete it.

The answer is for sure D, I took this test last week. Something that is inert is by definition chemically un-reactive, think Helium, Argon, etc... they don't participate in reaction. In the passage it states that ozone is predominantly in the upper atmosphere. Therefore, a chemical that is an ozone depleter (is that a word) could not be inert in the upper atmosphere. If something undergoes photolysis, it is not the same molecule as before, so you can't classify it as inert, which they clearly are not if they react with ozone to deplete it.
Thanks, I actually put D when i took it, **** prep101 and their answer keys (claims A is the answer)