AAMC CBT8 and 8R OFFICIAL Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official Q&A thread for AAMC CBT8 and 8R.

Please post ONLY questions pertaining to AAMC CBT8 and 8R.
Out of respect for people who may not have completed the other exams, do not post questions or material from any other AAMC exam.

Please see this thread for the rules of order before you post.

Good luck on your MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Problem 102... can someone please tell me how melting point relates to the stability of a compound? Melting point pertains to the interactions between different molecules, while stability relates to the bonds within a single molecule. What gives?

can anyone explain PS #28, please? I picked up that there's decreasing T and P as the balloon rises, but wasn't able to rationalize (c) as an answer from that...

can anyone explain PS #28, please? I picked up that there's decreasing T and P as the balloon rises, but wasn't able to rationalize (c) as an answer from that...

Uh isn't the answer B?

You're talking about the question "Which of the following statements best explains the temperature change shown in figure 1" right?

Members don't see this ad :)
PS Item 16.

Which of the following graphs best shows the number of moles of S4O6 2– in tube 6 as time passes.

I went with D instead of B (B was correct) because the passage says:
"They used starch as an indicator detect the excess I2(aq) that accumulated when the 2S2O32– was used up. The solution turned dark blue when starch and I2(aq) combined."

At T=19 seconds, all the 2S2O32– is used up and the level of S4O6 2– is at its highest. At that point, the excess I2 starts combining with starch to make a blue colored substance, presumablyaccording to some reaction like:

I2 + starch --> blue compound

Looking at
I2 (aq) + 2S2O32–(aq) --> 2I–(aq) + S4O6 2–(aq)

After 19 s, the starch starts combining with the Excess I2 (aq) to produce the blue compound which is like a Le Chatelier type situation. Therefore, the number of moles of S4O6 2–(aq) would go down as the equilibrium shifted left to replace the I2 being lost. That's why I picked D with the slope decreasing after t = 19 s as opposed to B with the slope flat after t = 19 s.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this?

PS Item 16.

Which of the following graphs best shows the number of moles of S4O6 2– in tube 6 as time passes.

I went with D instead of B (B was correct) because the passage says:
"They used starch as an indicator detect the excess I2(aq) that accumulated when the 2S2O32– was used up. The solution turned dark blue when starch and I2(aq) combined."

At T=19 seconds, all the 2S2O32– is used up and the level of S4O6 2– is at its highest. At that point, the excess I2 starts combining with starch to make a blue colored substance, presumablyaccording to some reaction like:

I2 + starch --> blue compound

Looking at
I2 (aq) + 2S2O32–(aq) --> 2I–(aq) + S4O6 2–(aq)

After 19 s, the starch starts combining with the Excess I2 (aq) to produce the blue compound which is like a Le Chatelier type situation. Therefore, the number of moles of S4O6 2–(aq) would go down as the equilibrium shifted left to replace the I2 being lost. That's why I picked D with the slope decreasing after t = 19 s as opposed to B with the slope flat after t = 19 s.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this?

yes, im wondering the same...unless it has something to do with the fact that the second reaction is fast so the reverse reaction would have to overcome a greater activation energy to go in reverse? or by not showing equilibrium arrows for the reaction, they meant it wasnt reversible? i think i spent like over 5 minutes trying to decide between b and d and still got it wrong lol

can anyone explain PS #28, please? I picked up that there's decreasing T and P as the balloon rises, but wasn't able to rationalize (b) as an answer from that...

As depth decreases, temperature decreases.

We know that as depth decreases, you get closer to the surface.
[Gauge pressure = pgh, where h= depth below the surface. This means as the balloon gets closer to the surface, the value of "h" and consequently the Pressure around the balloon will decrease]

By Boyle's law (PV=PV), if pressure decreases volume of the balloon must increase (meaning volume of gas inside that balloon)

Delta U = Q-W, where +W = work done by the gas. To expand and increase volume, a gas must do work. No heat energy transfer is being done here, so Q = 0, so U = -W. Internal energy is decreasing so temperature is decreasing.

Pretty long explanation- I'm sure there are faster ways to get to this answer though?

How did you guys find this one in comparison to others?

One of the VR passages - I think the cog/functional/behavior blah blah CRAP i got 4 wrong lol. I finished with a 9 in that VR. PS was 'ok'. BS was a lot like verbal.. It required some pretty intense critical reading and making links more than anything else i've encountered which is a shame, because I usually just speed through the passage then goto questions and look back where needed (but if the most recent mcats are like 8+ then i'm going to have to slow down and actually take it in.)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESH.

Last edited:
Hey,
I've got a few questions from this exam whose aamc explaination simply didnt suffice...anyone care to help out?

"An astronaut on Earth notes that in her soft drink an ice cube floats with 9/10 of its volume submerged. If she were instead in a lunar module parked on the Moon where the gravitation force is 1/6 that of Earth, the ice in the same soft drink would float with what portion of ice submerged..."(answer is 9/10)
it says that g is irrelevant to the problem, but i dont get how that can be since Fb = density fliud x volume object submerged x g ...so the difference between the two would be (9/10) (10) vs. X (10/6)...??

"Some animals have developed the ability to excrete nitrogenous waste largely in the form of uric acid, which is nontoxic and does not require large amounts of water for its excretion. Considering its lifestyle, what animal would excrete nitrogen primarily in the form of uric acid?
i understand that this animal needs to not beinthe presence of water..but why choose flying bird over wild pig??

"If Anolis lizards have X-Y chromosomal sex determination, the locus of a gene for the UV reflectance pigment is on.."
- in the passage it claims that only males possess this pigment on their flap-thing, so why isnt that enough evidence that this gene is on a Y-chromosome? even if it was x-recessive then at least some females would have it..

also..just to add, while i was taking the test i seriously thought i was getting screwed by the phyical and verbal sections...but turns out my physics score was basically identical to all the other tests ive taken, and verbal score was even higher. go figure...

Last edited:
I am sure most have gotten this one, but I cannot seem to figure about how they arrived at 3/2VR, and how they knew the old CO was 4? :confused:

I am sure most have gotten this one, but I cannot seem to figure about how they arrived at 3/2VR, and how they knew the old CO was 4? :confused:

P = CO x VR
they tell you that P is twice as large and VR is 1.5 times as large, and want you to find CO.
soo..
2P = CO x 1.5VR --> 2P = CO x 3/2VR --> 2/ (3/2) = CO --> 2 x (2/3) = 4/3...
since the original had all 1:1:1 ratios, the difference is 4/3 - 3/3 =1/3

Since i had time i also just plugged in simple random numbers to make sure of the difference between the two situations, it really helps since im not too hot on variables etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
"An astronaut on Earth notes that in her soft drink an ice cube floats with 9/10 of its volume submerged. If she were instead in a lunar module parked on the Moon where the gravitation force is 1/6 that of Earth, the ice in the same soft drink would float with what portion of ice submerged..."

Whenever an object floats on a liquid, we know the object's weight is counteracted by the buoyant force.

W = Fb
mg = p(fluid) x V(obj) x g

As you can see, g will cancel out on both sides and is thereby irrelevant.

"Some animals have developed the ability to excrete nitrogenous waste largely in the form of uric acid, which is nontoxic and does not require large amounts of water for its excretion. Considering its lifestyle, what animal would excrete nitrogen primarily in the form of uric acid?"
Flying bird over wild pig, because it is essential for the bird to "not require large amounts of water" for excretion in order for the bird to weigh less and be able to fly.
Sidenote: I find these questions that come up on AAMC really random and unrelated to "real" BS content/material.

"If Anolis lizards have X-Y chromosomal sex determination, the locus of a gene for the UV reflectance pigment is on.."

Yeah I missed this too. I thought since they said it occurred only in males, it would be a sex-linked gene.

However I think their point is that some physical phenotypic characteristic (like this dewlap thingy) can occur only in males, yet still be an autosomal gene present in males and females. The gene may be only EXPRESSED in males, explaining why you see its phenotype in the one gender. So basically without further info you can't decide (so correct choice= autosomal or sex-linked).

Did anyone find number 5 confusing on the PS?

Which of the following statements is consistent with the incorrect conclusion that HCl is an ionic compound?
C) A 1 M solution conducts electricity.

The passage states that an aqueous solution of an ionic compound conducts electricity. Thus, C is the best answer.

I chose A because I thought HCl was in liquid form under room temperature.

28) Which of the following statements best explains the temperature change shown in Figure 1?

Was the graph suppose to be backwards? I mean... I'm assuming depth was decreasing as the balloon rises and the balloon was rising because heat from the tank was going into the balloon, thus decreasing the temp of the tank.

I just finished taking this.

10PS/11VR/10BS - 31. On par with my other exams.

I really thought I tanked the PS. Was it me or was the PS really ****ing hard? PS is usually my strong subject.

I still did WAY better than I thought I did. Guess it just goes to show you its hard to predict your score coming out of an exam (and why voiding is a terrible idea).

I got 12PS/11VR/11BS = 34, which is about par to my others. the biggest improvement i made was in verbal - i never got 11 before. i think i got really lucky - i thought the verbal was hard as hell, especially that functional/cognitive passage everyone else complained about.

PS wasn't that bad i thought.

I thought bio this time was really hard. normally its my best section and i score 12+ but this time i was killed. it felt more like VR than BS to me half the time. like that stupid lizard passage :mad: :mad: :mad:

anyone who took both # 7 adn #8 think that # 8 was much harder in Verbal (an the other sections as well)??

i think it was sheer good luck this time and bad luck on 7, i got 11 on 8 and 8 on 7 :eek:

Im having trouble understanding question 40 of the PS section, and basically all the questions of this type.

How can we predict what gas is produced when 2 things react with eachother? i've gotten these type of questions on other tests before and got rocked as well O_O

Is there a systematic way of approaching this type of questions? or do we have to remember all these reactions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

i got it right but not really sure how... i knew it was one of hte carbon ones, and if it was carbon monoxide the teacher would have died and the students too so i just picked dioxide.

How does table 1 on number 45 represent a metathesis reaction, since originally you only have cation or anion solutions? They are not switching partners? Please explain. Thanks.

Problem 102... can someone please tell me how melting point relates to the stability of a compound? Melting point pertains to the interactions between different molecules, while stability relates to the bonds within a single molecule. What gives?

#102 in PS- I had the same question and was wondering if someone could explain this one to me?? I never knew melting point had anything to do w/stability?

How does table 1 on number 45 represent a metathesis reaction, since originally you only have cation or anion solutions? They are not switching partners? Please explain. Thanks.

I got that one wrong too...maybe they meant table 2? =\

So on #34 on the CBT version:

Preface, got this correct because something didn't jive with the answer I'm asking about. Why would a substance with no electrons (obv hypothetical) not be the worlds greatest insulator and the worlds worst conductor, and thus not be a correct answer?

So on #34 on the CBT version:

Preface, got this correct because something didn't jive with the answer I'm asking about. Why would a substance with no electrons (obv hypothetical) not be the worlds greatest insulator and the worlds worst conductor, and thus not be a correct answer?

The question asks about a material that is a good insulator and a bad conductor. Based on the answer choices, they must be talking about electrical conductivity rather than thermal conductivity. A material cannot be completely absent of electrons, so choice A is unrealistic and thus eliminated. For a material to be completely absent of electrons, it would be a cluster of cations with no bonding (no electrons means no sharing of electrons which means no covalent bonds). The cations would disperse because of the significant electrostatic repulsion.

But, hypothetically as you proposed, it is in fact possible for cations to conduct electricity. Technically speaking, you don't have to have electrons to conduct, you need to be able to transfer electrons to conduct. It's the idea behind ions increasing the conductivity of water. It's also similar in theory to a hole conductor, where the silicon is doped with electron poor atoms such as boron and electrons fill the hole in such a way that the hole appears to conduct. So the thought of an electron-poor substance conducting is not unfathomable.

As for the rest of the answer choices, the magnitude of the electric field within a material depends of its distribution of charge, which for a good insulator would be minimal. However, an electrical field always equal to zero could be attributed to either electrons that don’t move or the absence of a charge. It's an ambiguous answer that you can’t eliminate immediately, so we shall leave it in limbo for the moment. Electrical conductivity refers to the mobility of electrons, not atoms, so choice C is eliminated. A poor conductor is one that cannot easily transfer electrons, which is described in choice D. If the electrons cannot easily move from atom to another atom in the lattice, then the material does not conduct electricity well, and thereby insulates. The best answer is choice D.

(108) If restriction of blood flow to the kidneys (by placing clamps on the renal arteries) resulted in an immediate but small increase in blood pressure, followed by gradual development on severe hypertension, which hypothesis would these results best support?

My question is: how do you know it's hypothesis B instead of A? I realize it says kidneys, but hypothesis A involves vascular resistance due to decreased radius of the vessel, which is why I wasn't sure which answer was right. It seems like it could be either one.

(108) If restriction of blood flow to the kidneys (by placing clamps on the renal arteries) resulted in an immediate but small increase in blood pressure, followed by gradual development on severe hypertension, which hypothesis would these results best support?

My question is: how do you know it's hypothesis B instead of A? I realize it says kidneys, but hypothesis A involves vascular resistance due to decreased radius of the vessel, which is why I wasn't sure which answer was right. It seems like it could be either one.

If I recall correctly, it isn't hypothesis A because you wouldn't expect increasing resistance in one vessel to result in a large a systemic increase in blood pressure. Since hypothesis A is ruled out, pick hypothesis B because it's the one about kidneys. I'm pretty sure this is what the actual explanation said, but I don't have it in front of me.

If I recall correctly, it isn't hypothesis A because you wouldn't expect increasing resistance in one vessel to result in a large a systemic increase in blood pressure. Since hypothesis A is ruled out, pick hypothesis B because it's the one about kidneys. I'm pretty sure this is what the actual explanation said, but I don't have it in front of me.

No, the actual explanation said:

The reduced flow of blood through the renal arteries due to the clamps would cause a decrease in glomerular blood pressure. The kidneys respond to this drop in pressure by activating the renin-angiotensin system of hormones. This increases the amount of sodium and water that is reabsorbed by the kidneys, therefore increasing blood volume and pressure. Thus, C is the best answer.

It says nothing of why it can't be Hypothesis A and I still don't understand how we're supposed to know it's Hypothesis B.

#24 in PS

An astronaut on Earth notes that in her soft drink an ice cube floats with 9/10 of its volume submerged. If she were instead in a lunar module parked on the Moon where the gravitation force is 1/6 that of Earth, the ice in the same soft drink would float:

A) with more than 9/10 submerged.
B) with 9/10 submerged.
C) with 6/10 submerged.
D) totally submerged.

Answer: B

Reasoning given:

The floating ice cube implies that its weight is balanced by the buoyant force on it

Wice = mg = rfluidVsubmergedg

Note that both the weight and the buoyant force are proportional to g, making the numerical value of g irrelevant to the volume of the ice cube that is submerged. Thus, B is the best answer.

I got this answer correct, but I used different reasoning. Can anyone tell me if my reasoning is also correct?

According to the EK books: Fraction submerged = density of floating object / density of fluid.

So, I surmised that since density does not change with gravity, then the fraction submerged should not change either.

?

:)

#24 in PS

I got this answer correct, but I used different reasoning. Can anyone tell me if my reasoning is also correct?

According to the EK books: Fraction submerged = density of floating object / density of fluid.

So, I surmised that since density does not change with gravity, then the fraction submerged should not change either.

?

:)

Your reasoning technically is the same... just stated differently

W(ice) = mg, but mass = density*volume. So W(ice) = density(ice)*V(ice)*g

Set that equal to density(fluid)*V(submerged)*g. g cancels. Move some stuff around...

V(submerged)/V(ice) = fraction submerged = density(ice)/density(fluid)

The way you memorized it is just a little more simplified. :D

11PS 10VR 12BS :( man verbal was hard...

does anyone think #18 on the PS was very trivial and meaningless? I'm not even sure what skill they're trying to test. Why would they want to assess theory that is entirely antiquated?

"as described in the passage, Aristotle's theories of motion do NOT deal with which of the following situations?"

A) object in a vacuum can move with a constant velocity...

this is right simply because it's the only thing NOT on the earth...
what in the world is the significance of this question? i hope there aren't too many of these things.

Did anyone get this right? how did you logic this through?

11PS 10VR 12BS :( man verbal was hard...

does anyone think #18 on the PS was very trivial and meaningless? I'm not even sure what skill they're trying to test. Why would they want to assess theory that is entirely antiquated?

"as described in the passage, Aristotle's theories of motion do NOT deal with which of the following situations?"

A) object in a vacuum can move with a constant velocity...

this is right simply because it's the only thing NOT on the earth...
what in the world is the significance of this question? i hope there aren't too many of these things.

Did anyone get this right? how did you logic this through?

OK the key here is reading carefully. B, C, and D are all mentioned in the passage. B - object can fall at constant velocity (said in passage), C - spring = violent motion (spring is an outside force therefore it is violent motion), D - heavy objects fall faster (passage says that speed is proportional to weight)

As for A, the thing you need to focus on is the vacuum. A vacuum equals no air, and the passage says that Aristotle thought that objects moved at a constant velocity because of the air around it. In a vacuum, there is no air, so his logic would not work there. Conditions in a vacuum are not mentioned, so you can't assume anything about Aristotle's thoughts of free fall in a vacuum.

Make sense?

Ouch, this PS hit me on all my weak topics.

2 quick PS questions.

PS. #10.

What topic exactly is this questing testing? I was assuming it was asking about unpaired/paired electrons, but the answer given talks about including protons and neutrons.

For a given magnitude of B1, the nucleus with the nonzero precession frequency will be which of the following?

A)

4 He

B)

16 O

C)

19 F

Because protons and neutrons have spin just as electrons do, to guarantee a nonzero net spin, an odd number of nucleons is needed. Of the foils, the only element that has an odd number of nucleons is . Thus, C is the best answer.

D)

208 Pb

PS, # 49

For this problem there was an accompanying diagram. I was able to reason/guess that q > α given the different values of n; but NO WHERE in the diagram were the variable q ¢ or q. I was/am hoping that my computer didn't display them. Since I had no idea what q ¢ I could only guess between the two.

Was q ¢ suppose to be displayed? If not, how was I suppose to know what the variable was standing for.

A beam of light shines into a transparent medium with parallel surfaces. Part of the beam is reflected back into the air as diagrammed above. (The figure is NOT to scale.) The index of refraction of the medium is 1.5. Which of the following is true?

A)
q < q ¢ and q < &#945;

B)
q = q ¢ and q > &#945;

Because the medium's surfaces are parallel, a perpendicular line drawn to the lower surface of the medium will be parallel to both of the perpendiculars shown in the figure. This means that the angle of incidence at the lower surface will also be a, as will the angle of reflection at the lower surface, and the beam reflecting from the lower surface of the medium will then be a mirror image of the incoming beam, so q¢ = q. Further, because air's index of refraction is about 1.0, Snell's law would show that q > a. Thus, B is the best answer.

C)
q = q ¢ and q < &#945;

D)
q > q ¢ and q > &#945;

Last edited:
Question #40:

How are you supposed to know that only nickel carbonate reacts with HCl to produce CO2 (g)?

There are still spectator ions, sodium and sulfate ions, that are in the green slurry, so the sulfate could also react with HCl, right?

Question #40:

How are you supposed to know that only nickel carbonate reacts with HCl to produce CO2 (g)?

There are still spectator ions, sodium and sulfate ions, that are in the green slurry, so the sulfate could also react with HCl, right?

H2SO4 is a strong acid so it is soluble as well. The H+ and SO42- ions would disscoiate into the solution as well if you were to make H2SO4 from this solution. H2CO3 isn't a strong acid, so it will form and then react again to form CO2.

What are determining factors to help you decide if the locus of the gene is on the a sex chromosome or an autosomal chromosome?

Anyone have any suggestions

I'm asking because on AAMC 8 Bio section, they have a question on the lizards and asking between if the trait(their UV-reflective flaps only in males) would be on a somatic or autosomal chromosome. The answer was that it could be on both.

On other types of questions like this, what should we look for to understand which type? Or

somatic and autosomal chromosomes mean the same thing (not a sex chromosome). that's probably why the answer said it was both.

In the future, please post questions that pertain to the official AAMC practice exams only in the official thread that was created for that purpose. This will help to ensure that the test is not spoiled for those that haven't taken it yet. For more information see here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=516243

For now, I'll merge this thread with the AAMC 8 official Q & A thread.

Anyone have any suggestions

I'm asking because on AAMC 8 Bio section, they have a question on the lizards and asking between if the trait(their UV-reflective flaps only in males) would be on a somatic or autosomal chromosome. The answer was that it could be on both.

On other types of questions like this, what should we look for to understand which type? Or

Doublecheck the question, apparently u misquoted it, also I think u should ask it under AAMC 8 just so that people who haven't taken it won't see Q&As about it elsewhere..

Item 113
itdmedia.aspx
itdmedia.aspx

Solution

Mark
itdmedia.aspx
Compound 1

What is the orientation of the tert-butyl and chloro substituents, respectively, in the predominant conformation of Compound 1?
A
) Axial, axial B
) Axial, equatorial C
) Equatorial, axial
Compound 1 is cis-1-tert-butyl-4-chlorocyclohexane. The predominant conformation of this compound is also the most stable one and has the cyclohexane ring in the chair conformation with the larger tert-butyl substituent in the equatorial orientation and the smaller chloro substituent in the axial orientation. Thus, C is the best answer.

D
) Equatorial, equatorial

Can someone pls explain why having both substituents on equatorial is not the most stable conformation. I thought they would be furthest apart and also interact less with the axial Hs..

Please anyone I'm doing my test in 2 days!!!

Well, on a cyclohexane ring, the first thing to know is that if you have two substituents that are on the same line (dashes/wedges), then you can eliminate two options quickly.

If they're separated by 2 (for example, 1,3), then they are trans. If they're separated by 1 or 3 (for example, 1,2 or 1,4), then they are cis. The opposite is true if they're on opposite lines. In this case, they are on the same, and they are 1,4, so you know that they are cis.

If substituents on a cyclohexane ring are cis, then one is equatorial and the other is axial. If they are trans, they are both either equatorial or axial. In this case, one must be equatorial and the other must be axial.

Next, you need to determine what the larger substituent is. As the solution says, the larger substituent will be equatorial to ensure stability. In this case, it's the tert-butyl group...so, that's equatorial, and the the other is axial.

I hope that helps. It's not a very simple rule, but that will work for every problem.

At what concentration of free actin will the + end of the microfilament grow faster than the – end?

A Exactly at 1 µM
B Only between 1 µM and 4 µM
C At any concentration greater than 1 µM
D At any concentration

The answer is C, but why can't it be D. Even though there is a net-loss from all points in 0 to 1, there is still a positive slope from 0 to 1, which indicates growth as less subunits are lost (hence some are growing?) I was really confused by the figure.

At what concentration of free actin will the + end of the microfilament grow faster than the – end?

A Exactly at 1 µM
B Only between 1 µM and 4 µM
C At any concentration greater than 1 µM
D At any concentration

The answer is C, but why can't it be D. Even though there is a net-loss from all points in 0 to 1, there is still a positive slope from 0 to 1, which indicates growth as less subunits are lost (hence some are growing?) I was really confused by the figure.

I, too, was initially funcused about the graph. However, I luckily looked more carefully and noticed that the y-axis is actually the rate, not the quantity. In terms of calculus, the graph actually shows the derivative of y as a function of x.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think calculus is quite helpful for the MCAT. Quantitative relationships represented in graphs is much more intuitive with a conceptual understanding of calculus.

okkkkkkk so is it just me or was this exam much harder especially the PS and VR, bio not so much but still harder than normal

I've taken all the aamc cbt's and i found this one to be really hard. considering my exam in is 2 days.... :(

Does anyone have the raw score conversion table for this test? Mine got misplaced...

A few questions:

PS

12: B2 rotates an H nucleus through an angle of.

b) 90
c) 180

The fact that it said through an angle, not to an angle got me. Since B2 is supposed to be perpendicular to B1, when the nucleus is in resonance, B2 would be at an angle of 90 degrees relative to the nucleus, so I chose b. I mean it seems like a common sense answer, but did I read into it too much?

27) Which cannot be used to find the results in Figure 1 (balloon in the tank passage)

Why does total mass not matter? Wouldn't total mass affect pressure, and the greater the pressure, the greater the compression of the balloon?

VR:

86: Mountain climber choosing another rope.

Why is this not C? The correct answer is A, but I didn't choose that one because it never specifies that a belief in the weakness of the rope is the ONLY reason, just a belief. But C claims that a belief in the weakness of the rope is PROBABLY NOT a reason for the changing of the rope. Where does this reasoning come from?