AAMC CBT8 and 8R OFFICIAL Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official Q&A thread for AAMC CBT8 and 8R.

Please post ONLY questions pertaining to AAMC CBT8 and 8R.
Out of respect for people who may not have completed the other exams, do not post questions or material from any other AAMC exam.

Please see this thread for the rules of order before you post.

Good luck on your MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you don't just randomly form UV reflective flaps and then go around looking for a sunny place, the sunny place chooses you to have UV reflective flaps. It's the basis of evolution. The environment decides what is most fit.

Edit: Oh and Causation does mean correlation

lol i meant correlation doesn't mean causation...but thanks for clearing that up. it makes sense.

PS-10 was testing how much you remembered about NMR in organic chemistry. MRI=NMR, renamed because non-scientists get scared when you say "nuclear". As you may remember from ochem when they introduced NMR spectroscopy, protons and neutrons have spin too. That's why we do NMR on H-1 and C-13. You can't do NMR on C-12 because it has an even number of nucleons and is therefore unaffected by magnets. Yeah it's kind of weird that an ochem question showed up in PS.

PS-49 has some display issues on some browsers. For "q" read "theta" and for "¢" read "prime". Hopefully this isn't a problem on the real MCAT. If you are still having trouble with this question, it's been answered a few other times on this forum. Write back if you need more help.

And let me just say for the record that the VR section of AAMC8 ought to come with a jar of vaseline. I got totally raped by the "behavior" passage. I got every single question wrong!

I get the concept when I read the explanation for the answer.. but how do you get that they were referring to that when it said "nonzero precision frequency." I partly panicked when I read that because I had no idea what precision frequency was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passage 4. It gives a situation in which different objects with different mass are dropped from the same height, and it wants the terminal velocity. The velocity should all be the same since they had the same height, but the answer says the object with the greatest velocity is the heaviest. So I guess sometimes the correct answer is passed on what is said in the passage, right?

Can someone explain question 133 to me?

Which of the following conclusions about dewlap reflectance is supported by the passage?

A. lizard habitat is determined by dewlap reflectance for each species
b. high dewlap reflectance is most important in brightly lit habitats
c - wrong
d - wrong.

I put A, but the answer is B. I don't understand how you can jump to the conclusion stated by B. Sure the 3 species live in sunny areas, but how can you state that they're important because they live there? Causation doesn't mean correlation. Plus, I felt like A exactly stated what was in the passage: "There is a relationship between UV reflectance and habitat."

Can anyone clear this up?

The passage says that ABC are in well-lit areas. they have high reflection; DE or w/e the other two were under the canopy where there wasn't a lot of light

I get the concept when I read the explanation for the answer.. but how do you get that they were referring to that when it said "nonzero precision frequency." I partly panicked when I read that because I had no idea what precision frequency was.

(PS-10)

"non zero precession frequency" - passage says that precession will occur at the frequency of w = 4 pi mu B1 /h. 4, pi, B1, and h are non-zero, so the only way to get a precession of zero is with a zero mu.

The mu is the nuclear dipole, and the only way to solve the rest of the problem is relying on outside knowledge of the NMR process and nuclear spin from ochem.

PS 31: If the valve is opened to drain the tank, where is the speed of the flowing water the greatest?

A) At the top of the tank
b) at the bottom of the tank
c) at the wide end of the pipe
d) at the narrow end of the pipe

Ok, so if the flow rate was the same, D would have greater velocity than C. So I eliminated C. From comparing A&B, bournouli equation states that where there is an greater pressure, the velocity is the smaller. So I eliminated B for this reason. I then just picked C over A was because I remembered in physics class that we just assumed the speed at the tank was very small. And going back I can't give a good reason why it's not A.

PS # 43. When aqueous solutions of various anions and cations were mixed, precipitates formed because..
c) the solubilities were decreased by the other cations
d) the solubility product of a compound was exceeded

Why is it not c? I chose C because I thought when you mixed 2 reactions, and a product was formed... perhaps the reactant compd was more soluble than the product.

PS # 43. When aqueous solutions of various anions and cations were mixed, precipitates formed because..
c) the solubilities were decreased by the other cations
d) the solubility product of a compound was exceeded

Why is it not c? I chose C because I thought when you mixed 2 reactions, and a product was formed... perhaps the reactant compd was more soluble than the product.

It's only C is there's a "common ion." I don't remember that question exactly, but I believe there were no ions in common between the two compounds.

It says antibody B offers a better means for preventing organ injury than agents such as free radical or protease inhibitors. Which of the following reasons offer the best support for this claim

and I chose C
C) antibody B is very specific antibody; therefore, it will not recognize anything else other than the beta subunit.

My reasoning was that antibody is better over free radical/protease inhibitors because these inhibitors can inhibit something else. Sure radical inhibitors gotta be good in general but protease inhibitor, I thought, could make up some harmful effects without specificity, so I thought specificity was issue here

the answer was A, saying
antibody B block the initiation of events resulting in the release of harmful, biologically active molecules.. Looking back it sounds alright to but my reasoning at that time was so prevalent that as soon as I read the question stem, I predicted it to be the issue of specificity

anyone has other idea why C is not better than A?

It says antibody B offers a better means for preventing organ injury than agents such as free radical or protease inhibitors. Which of the following reasons offer the best support for this claim

and I chose C
C) antibody B is very specific antibody; therefore, it will not recognize anything else other than the beta subunit.

My reasoning was that antibody is better over free radical/protease inhibitors because these inhibitors can inhibit something else. Sure radical inhibitors gotta be good in general but protease inhibitor, I thought, could make up some harmful effects without specificity, so I thought specificity was issue here

the answer was A, saying
antibody B block the initiation of events resulting in the release of harmful, biologically active molecules.. Looking back it sounds alright to but my reasoning at that time was so prevalent that as soon as I read the question stem, I predicted it to be the issue of specificity

I'm not sure that that question is in the CBT version....sorry mate

As you move through a different medium, is it the frequency that stays constant?

PS 31: If the valve is opened to drain the tank, where is the speed of the flowing water the greatest?

A) At the top of the tank
b) at the bottom of the tank
c) at the wide end of the pipe
d) at the narrow end of the pipe

Ok, so if the flow rate was the same, D would have greater velocity than C. So I eliminated C. From comparing A&B, bournouli equation states that where there is an greater pressure, the velocity is the smaller. So I eliminated B for this reason. I then just picked C over A was because I remembered in physics class that we just assumed the speed at the tank was very small. And going back I can't give a good reason why it's not A.

I don't think anyone answered your questions.....

1- yes, frequency stays constant; of course, on AAMC 8 they tried to trick you by testing doppler effect, in which case the perceived frequency can be thrown off--the question specifically stated that the object was moving TOWARDs the source

2- I'm not sure I follow your thought process, but this question is incredibly simple. You're having a set pressure difference since both the sides of the system are subjected to atmospheric pressure--now you know that when the flow rate is the same and you have a smaller area, the velocity increases..that's it. Think of a hose, when you have water at a fixed flow rate flowing through, and you put your thumb over the end to create a smaller opening, what happens? Water shoots out faster and further, right? Don't over complicate it! Flow rate = Area * Velocity, and since flow rates are same in the two sides, Area1 * Velocity1 = Area2 * Velocity2

Hope that helps, and sorry for the delay in responding

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone answered your questions.....

1- yes, frequency stays constant; of course, on AAMC 8 they tried to trick you by testing doppler effect, in which case the perceived frequency can be thrown off--the question specifically stated that the object was moving TOWARDs the source

2- I'm not sure I follow your thought process, but this question is incredibly simple. You're having a set pressure difference since both the sides of the system are subjected to atmospheric pressure--now you know that when the flow rate is the same and you have a smaller area, the velocity increases..that's it. Think of a hose, when you have water at a fixed flow rate flowing through, and you put your thumb over the end to create a smaller opening, what happens? Water shoots out faster and further, right? Don't over complicate it! Flow rate = Area * Velocity, and since flow rates are same in the two sides, Area1 * Velocity1 = Area2 * Velocity2

Hope that helps, and sorry for the delay in responding

Huh? Can you clarify that/explain that further. Is it safe to assume that the flow rate is the same throughout the whole tank? And what about gauge pressure? The pressure at the top is just atm, but at the bottom, there's atm + gauge.

Also for item #131, although I got this answer right, I'm not quite sure I completely understand why you cannot locate the gene on a specific chromosome.. is it because there just isn't enough info to completely rule out which chromosome the gene is located on?

Jesus F*cking Christ.. I just finished the PS. I almost want to cry. If the PS is anything like that on my test next week, I'm just going to get up and leave. I couldn't even finish on time, and the questions that I did I had a very vague idea of what was being asked of me. So much for all of the chemistry I've been driving into my head :bang:

Jesus F*cking Christ.. I just finished the PS. I almost want to cry. If the PS is anything like that on my test next week, I'm just going to get up and leave. I couldn't even finish on time, and the questions that I did I had a very vague idea of what was being asked of me. So much for all of the chemistry I've been driving into my head :bang:

You have to be very quick. I do all the discretes (13 questions) in the first ten minutes.

Then I do 7 minutes per passage (49 minutes), leaving me 11 minutes to review anything I wasn't completely sure on.

There isn't time to think and mull over any questions. If you don't know the answer or how to get the answer in a minute, you won't know it in the next minute. Just answer, go to the next question, and if you have time at the end, come back to it.

This is a test of both speed and accuracy.

You have to be very quick. I do all the discretes (13 questions) in the first ten minutes.

Then I do 7 minutes per passage (49 minutes), leaving me 11 minutes to review anything I wasn't completely sure on.

There isn't time to think and mull over any questions. If you don't know the answer or how to get the answer in a minute, you won't know it in the next minute. Just answer, go to the next question, and if you have time at the end, come back to it.

This is a test of both speed and accuracy.

This is my 5th FL and the first one I've run out of time. I just really lacked an understanding of what was going on in those passages. :thumbdown: at myself

I said the same thing, but 270 degrees and 90 degrees are the same thing, so there can't be 2 answers. 45 degrees doesn't make sense so you're left with 180 degrees.

Still don't know how 180 degrees is justified other than the fact that none of the other answers were correct. It's like saying I know these are wrong, and don't know about this, but I'm picking it anyways.
There asking you for how the H atom moves relative to the magnetic field. The fact that B1 and B2 are perpendicular is irrelevant. Those are the fields created by the MRI device. It clearly states in the passage that the H atom is rotated 180 degrees upon relaxation. This would have to mean that the magnetic dipole moment (mu) would have to be rotated from parallel to antiparallel and back (resonance). The relaxation is what emits the photons.

Passage 4. It gives a situation in which different objects with different mass are dropped from the same height, and it wants the terminal velocity. The velocity should all be the same since they had the same height, but the answer says the object with the greatest velocity is the heaviest. So I guess sometimes the correct answer is passed on what is said in the passage, right?

right It asks about it according to aristotles theory. His theory was that constant velocity is determined through the object pushing air behind it filling up the space it originally had. Thus if a more massive object were used, it would be able to effective "push" more air behind it, giving it a higher constant speed.

Alternatively you could look at it from a common sense perspective. Before Newton and gravity, the common person would have thought that a heavier object falls faster than a lighter object.

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the VR on this one was hard... =\ Was averaging 9-10s and then BAM here's a 6, lol.

Anywho, got a quick question - I still don't quite get this one:

anyone who took both # 7 adn #8 think that # 8 was much harder in Verbal (an the other sections as well)??

#41. The ion responsible for the color of the solutions is:

A. sulfate, because sulfur has s and p orbitals.
B. nickel(II), because it has a charge of +2
C. nickel(II), because it has unfilled d orbitals
D. sulfate, because it is a resonance-stabilized anion

How are we supposed to know the color of a soln has anything to do with d orbitals ?

You just do. If you did redox reactions in a chem lab then you might be able to remember the color of a solution changing when adding some oxidizing agent. Same principle, an ion gained/lost electrons changing its properties so that are visually noticeable. You might have also done it in an organic lab where you made some sort of aromatic compound even more conjugated and the end product was a different color. Both of these examples are all about those electrons and where they are at.

I originally picked D (because for some reason my brain translation resonance to conjugation), but I still don't quite understand how this works to produce colour... Is colour just produced whenever an electron can move to a higher energy state, then drop back down and release energy (which we percieve as colour)?

Thanks ;-;

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the VR on this one was hard... =\ Was averaging 9-10s and then BAM here's a 6, lol.

Anywho, got a quick question - I still don't quite get this one:

I originally picked D (because for some reason my brain translation resonance to conjugation), but I still don't quite understand how this works to produce colour... Is colour just produced whenever an electron can move to a higher energy state, then drop back down and release energy (which we percieve as colour)?

Thanks ;-;

Yes. Lots of orbitals - lots of chances to move electrons from higher to lower energy levels - lots of energy emitted as photons

LOTS of irks with AAMC8...but still completely stoked on my score!!

If you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

PS: Question 50: I thought frequency was the 1 thing that couldn't change in a wave.

Is the "imperfect" reflector an indication that everything changes except the speed? I'm not sure what an "imperfect" reflector is. The explanation doesn't do it for me...

VR: Question 61:
I chose answer "A." The explanation says the answer is D, which I was going to put, however, the passage NEVER mentions Red Riding Hood, and choice D FORCES you to assume that Red Riding Hood has enduring popularity (which it does, but my VR muscle has been toned to never pick answer that force you to assume things), so why would they all of sudden make you assume this?

Question 80:
I chose answer "D." I had it down to C and D and picked C but reviewing I put D. The author obviously understands the historical significance, but he refers to classic approach as being around "ever since", thus up until this day. IE- it has endured through history and will continue to endure, so he accepts that it will forever be dominated by religion and politics. Then again "religion" shouldve been replaced with spirituality for this to be more right...

Question 86: I put "C"...why would anyone replace the original rope if they were influenced by beliefs that had nothing to do with the original rope...

Question 88: I answer choice "B" based on the explicitly stated "Learning activities are more limited to their usefulness in beginners..."

BS: Question 121:
I put choice "B" and the answer is "D". The most plausible explanation is for you to assume that one of the fatty chains was unsaturated? I know fatty chains can be unsaturated, but this answer is better than a glycerol losing a proton to form a fatty acid salt? Then again, it's really not a fatty acid salt, just a glycerol soap...ehh.

Question 135: At which concentration will the + grow faster than the - ... I put "D" at any concentration, because it states in the passage "During microfilament growth, the + end grows faster than the - end." and the fact that growth (which is a rate) of "+" has a greater slope than "-" at all concentrations...

Thanks in advance to anyone who actually spends time to read this and help me out.

50. (Difficulty-MEDIUM)Yea because the reflector is moving towards you, some of the light energy is absorbed. But the easiest way to answer the question is that because it doesn't change media, the velocity of the light can't change.

61.(Difficulty-MEDIUM) Answer choice A talks about the context of the story without discussing the story itself, which would not be an analysis of Red Riding Hood. I understand why you were hesitant with D, and so was I, but the passage wants the students to isolate story elements to create a coherent rational analysis. I think it is assumed that it has enduring popularity because otherwise why would literature students analyze it? (its not like the book was a random romance novel or anything)

80. (Difficulty-EASY)No, the passage never says athletics is dominated by religon or politics. It states that through sports there is some sort of a 'spiritual awakening" in fans and athletes. Answer choice D is too strongly worded with dominated also.

86. (Difficulty-NORMAL) The author least likely believes that mental dispositions are a result of direct physical reasons. So in this case switching the rope could be because the other rope was stronger or because of some other reason. It doesn't have to be because the rope hes on is weak/going to break. Thats too direct a relationship like behaviorism.

88. Learning is of limited use to beginners is stated, but that is the opposite of what the question is asking. They want to know in what situation is it of the MOST use. This is stated in the next 2 paragraphs to be during grammar tests. This is a relatively easy question because it is grabbed straight from the passage without any inference. Make sure you read the question stem carefully.

121. (Difficulty-NORMAL)Work through the answers. A is wrong because triacylglyercol only has 3 FA. B is wrong because for glyercol to be transformed into a FA it would have to somehow lose 3 hydroxyl groups, which would not dissociate if there was a strong base (NaOH) already present. Between C and D, D is more true because there is a small amount of unsaturated FA that isomerizes back and forth. If all of the FA isomerized, then there would still be only 3 FA. So D is the most plausible and correct answer.

135.(Difficulty-EASY)This is a simple read from the graph question. Before 1 uM, the + end is losing subunits. At 1uM, the +end is not adding/losing subunits. After 1 uM the + end is adding subunits. Until 4 uM the - end is losing subunits. After 4uM the - end is adding subunits. Yet it never adds more than the the rate of the +end (this is easy to see if you check out their slopes).

Huh? Can you clarify that/explain that further. Is it safe to assume that the flow rate is the same throughout the whole tank? And what about gauge pressure? The pressure at the top is just atm, but at the bottom, there's atm + gauge.

Also for item #131, although I got this answer right, I'm not quite sure I completely understand why you cannot locate the gene on a specific chromosome.. is it because there just isn't enough info to completely rule out which chromosome the gene is located on?

Don't overthink the tank question. The water height is what is causing the water to shoot out into the pipe. Since the area of the tank is >>> then the area in the pipe, the velocity is slower there. Now in the pipe itself you have a narrow end and a wide end. Av=Av, so if one end is big, its velocity must be slower than the narrow end.

for 131 your assumption is correct. Just because males express the UV pigment on their dewlap,that doesn't rule out that the females express it somewhere else. There just isn't enough information to make that assumption.

Can someone please explain PS #20 CBT. I chose A, the answer is B. I don't understand why terminal velocity would be inversely proportional to t. The way I reasoned it was the lightest object would have the longest drop time, therefore since it is accelerating for a longer period of time, it would have the larger terminal velocity. So why would the heaviest object have the highest terminal velocity?

Can someone please explain PS #20 CBT. I chose A, the answer is B. I don't understand why terminal velocity would be inversely proportional to t. The way I reasoned it was the lightest object would have the longest drop time, therefore since it is accelerating for a longer period of time, it would have the larger terminal velocity. So why would the heaviest object have the highest terminal velocity?

You missed the part of the question that mentions that they are dropped from the same height. Think of it as average velocity, displacement/time. displacement is a constant, but time decreases, so velocity must increase.

I know that Item 133 has been brought up here already, but the questions asked haven't been the same as mine so please help me with my understanding! Here is the question and options again:

Which of the following conclusions about dewlap reflectance is supported by information in the passage?
a) lizard habitat is determined by dewlap reflectance for each species
b) high dewlap reflectance is most important in brightly lit habitats
c) high dewlap reflectance is most important in dimly lit habitats
d) dewlap reflectance is highest at the blue end of the spectrum

The correct answer is B, but I don't see how this is right in the current wording (it would have to say UV reflectance IMO). If you just say high reflectance is most important in brightly lit habitats, you are failing to see that just as high of reflectance is occurring with the species living in dimly lit areas at higher wavelengths (550-600). While this may not be UV light, it is still dewlap reflectance; should I not take the wording for exactly what it is?

I know that Item 133 has been brought up here already, but the questions asked haven't been the same as mine so please help me with my understanding! Here is the question and options again:

Which of the following conclusions about dewlap reflectance is supported by information in the passage?
a) lizard habitat is determined by dewlap reflectance for each species
b) high dewlap reflectance is most important in brightly lit habitats
c) high dewlap reflectance is most important in dimly lit habitats
d) dewlap reflectance is highest at the blue end of the spectrum

The correct answer is B, but I don't see how this is right in the current wording (it would have to say UV reflectance IMO). If you just say high reflectance is most important in brightly lit habitats, you are failing to see that just as high of reflectance is occurring with the species living in dimly lit areas at higher wavelengths (550-600). While this may not be UV light, it is still dewlap reflectance; should I not take the wording for exactly what it is?

I think you are over-analyzing and maybe not determining exactly what the test writers are trying to ask you. I definitely see how you are thinking that. However, I feel as though the test writers are aiming to ask you to make a conclusion based on your ability to incorporate the researchers' conclusion with the figure. Notice that the passage mentions that the investigators make a conclusion that there exists a relationship between dewlap UV reflectance and habitat. They want to know what you determine that relationship to be. Additionally, where is most of the light being reflected originating? UV light. I think that the test writers assume that you already figured that UV light was what they were referring to in the question and did not feel the need to further specify, based on the passage. Does this make sense? Sorry it is long -- I am not that great at explaining things!

and I chose C

the answer was A, saying

This question is from 8R (which I took as well) and I put the same answer for the same exact reasoning as you! :laugh: I feel like I read the question not wrong but not in the way that the MCAT test writers were looking for me to read it. However, I guess if you think about it, while C is true in information, choice A is more ...specific to the actual mechanism of antibody B. Yes, it is very specific, but WHY is it more effective at BLOCKING the beta subunit? What is the antibody able to do that protease inhibitors cannot? Yes, they will reduce the amount of proteases and free-radicals released, but what about prostaglandins as well as the other products? Antibody B prevents the entire cascade from happening, vs. SOME of the EFFECTS of the cascade. It's one of those "true but another answer is STRONGER" questions.

I felt like this test was extremely hard compared to the others. Did anyone else feel this way? I totally got screwed over by physics, yet again. Even the BS was pretty difficult. Two weeks away I'm so screwed.

Q66 on verbal

The author implies taht the reason red tides are difficult to control is:

They chose answer A which says that "a phytoplankton can multiply rapidly" but the passage states its "zooplankton" wouldn't that be considered wrong?

Q66 on verbal

The author implies taht the reason red tides are difficult to control is:

They chose answer A which says that "a phytoplankton can multiply rapidly" but the passage states its "zooplankton" wouldn't that be considered wrong?

Actually the passage states that if tiny zooplankton consume the algae(phytoplankton), than the population does NOT grow rapidly. Zooplankton consume phytoplankton.

The passage uses the word "barring" to say, basically unless there is a shortage of nutrients or light, or heavy grazing by tiny zooplankton, than the population (of the algae) can grow rapidly.

Last edited:
Question #49? I'm normally pretty good with optics, but what does this question mean by q? Angles? If so, which angles? Got completely thrown because I don't know what the question is even talking about.:confused:

Question #49? I'm normally pretty good with optics, but what does this question mean by q? Angles? If so, which angles? Got completely thrown because I don't know what the question is even talking about.:confused:

q is the incident angle. q c is the reflected angle. alpha is the refracted angle

A little confused about question the reasoning for question #101.
It goes as follows: Which of the following rationales explains which compound is the product of kinetic control?

I chose A based of the reasoning that the kinetic product is less stable and thus would have a lower melting point. I realize that the kinetic product does have a lower energy of activation (choice C - correct answer) but I am just wondering why choice A is wrong..?

So, this is from AAMC 8 Passage 4 of the PS section:

Q: "When designing his experiment, Galileo could have allowed the spheres to drop from a height of 10 metres rather than using the 10 metre inclined plane. The main advantage of using the inclined plane is that on the inclined plane the (ignoring air resistance, friction, and rotation):

A) final velocity of a sphere is faster
B) final velocity of a sphere is slower
C) spheres take longer to reach the bottom
D) spheres take less time to reach the bottom

Answer: C

Apparently, the "path is longer for the incline plane than the free fall, and therefore, it takes the spheres longer to reach the botoom on the inclined plane"

Why is this??? If the height of the free fall is 10 m, and the length of the inclined plane is 10 m, then for both cases, the distance is 10 m, no?

I'm so confused :confused:

If the sphere is dropping straight down, then the acceleration = gravity and capped at 10m/s^2

But if you go down the incline plane, the acceleration is proportional to the angle of the incline. So if there is an incline (<90 degrees), then the acceleration will always be less than 10 m/s^2 and take longer to reach the bottom.

The equation for the incline is F=mgsin(theta), so that means a = gsin(theta). So if sin(theta) is anything less than 1, which it has to be if there was an incline, then a < g

The horizontal (along length of inclined plane) component of gravity is less than the vertical component of gravity in free fall, so the acceleration is reduced for the inclined plane, which is why the balls take longer.

On AAMC 8 #125, I understand why C) is the right answer, but can D) also be right to since prokaryotes do not reproduce sexually (although they perform genetic recombination through conjugation, transduction, transformation)? From what I've learned, I know they don't undergo sexual reproduction.

Conjugation is a primitive form of sexual reproduction as there is a transfer of genetic material between two similar organisms.

Hello everyone,

I have a question on the verbal section for AAMC #8.
Here's the question( Its supposed to go along with the behaviorism passage . . .VI):

The passage suggests that behaviorism and type-type identity theory share which of the following weaknesses?

A) They oversimplify mental states by reducing them to physiological states
B) They provide no reason for the existence of pain or other mental states
C) They ignore the context provided by associated beliefs and feelings
D) They assume that all mental events are determined by external physical events

I picked A and the answer was C.
I was actually stuck between these 2 choices ad I know why C is right. I don't know though, why A could be considered wrong. For me, the type-type and the behaviorism seem to be almost the same thing( mental process==> something physical happens) . . . .but the AAMC explanation says they're not the same thing.

Can anyone please clarify?

Please help anyone and everyone! I would really appreciate it as this question is driving me crazy!

Q 115: The likely genetic basis of increased levels of uric acid is a mutation:

The answer is: affecting an allosteric site of PRPP synthetase.

Can anyone help clarify this? I didn't really understand the AAMC answer

# 107. I don't understand where the value of 3/2VR came from. I have looked at both Kaplan explanations as well as the aamc's and I don't get it. Please help:)

Can someone explain how to arrive at this answer? I eliminated A) reasoning, that, if color arose from sulfur because it has s and p orbitals, then many things would be glowing blue in water (ie it is not a logical answer). I also eliminated D) for the same reasoning: just because something is res-stabilized does not mean it will turn blue... otherwise, many bases would be blue in aqueous solution. Okay, not between B and C... How is it C? I mean... were we supposed to just assume that its d orbital is going to absorb the light? I'm guessing I could have eliminated B) based on the fact that many aqueous metals (or di-cations) are not blue in solution... so B) wouldn't be a logical reasoning. But still, I find C a bit of a stretch?

Why is the answer not B? You would think that it must be on the Y chromosome if it is something only found in males?

Can someone explain how to arrive at this answer? I eliminated A) reasoning, that, if color arose from sulfur because it has s and p orbitals, then many things would be glowing blue in water (ie it is not a logical answer). I also eliminated D) for the same reasoning: just because something is res-stabilized does not mean it will turn blue... otherwise, many bases would be blue in aqueous solution. Okay, not between B and C... How is it C? I mean... were we supposed to just assume that its d orbital is going to absorb the light? I'm guessing I could have eliminated B) based on the fact that many aqueous metals (or di-cations) are not blue in solution... so B) wouldn't be a logical reasoning. But still, I find C a bit of a stretch?

We're not supposed to assume that d orbitals absorb light, however, we should know that electrons absorb photons. Absorption of energy causes electrons to move to higher energy orbitals (so we need empty orbitals), and when the electrons become de-excited, they emit a photon (the color you see).

The charge does not play a role in the color, but the excitation and de-excitation of electrons is what the key concept they're testing on here. It's not enough to have orbitals (as all atoms have them), but you need unfilled orbitals, so that electrons can absorb a photon and go to higher energy state (the unfilled d orbital). Plus, I think chemistry has told us that the lower the energy you have, the the more stable you are, therefore it's inevitable that the high energy electron will move back to lower energy state.

Why is the answer not B? You would think that it must be on the Y chromosome if it is something only found in males?

Well the gene could very well likely be on the Y chromosome, but it's important to understand how genetics (and biochem for that matter) work. A gene that displays sexual characteristics (male or female) do not necessarily need to occur on the sex chromosomes. There are many factors that affect transcription of genes...

The gene for the dewlap could be a sex limited trait (mostly located on autosomes), which would imply that gene wold only be expressed in male individuals. Because this situation could be a possibility, you wouldn't want to limit the answer to only being on the Y chromosome.

Recommended reading: http://www.cod.edu/people/faculty/fancher/genetics/WhenGenderMatters.doc

Reactions: 1 user