AAMC Outline vs. TPR book - question about OChem reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C5b6789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These reactions are in the TPR book, but not explicitly stated in the AAMC outline (from what I can tell).

Are they assumed to be included in the AAMC outline, just hidden within more general topics?
  • Diels-Alder Cycloaddition
  • DCC Coupling
  • Hydride Reduction (nucleophilic addition)
  • Michael Reaction (nucleophilic addition)

Members don't see this ad.

DCC seems less likely but the rest are very testable.

The AAMC specifically says it can test material not covered in the outline with non-graded experimental questions. Also if reaction specifics were described or given in the passage they could test on whatever is described. So if your broader question is, "what can appear on the MCAT?", the answer is anything.

DCC seems less likely but the rest are very testable.

The AAMC specifically says it can test material not covered in the outline with non-graded experimental questions. Also if reaction specifics were described or given in the passage they could test on whatever is described. So if your broader question is, "what can appear on the MCAT?", the answer is anything.
This is the best advice. Be prepared to take information from a passage and apply it.

Members don't see this ad :)
@DrknoSDN @t5Nitro Thanks for the advice. I guess I thought of the AAMC syllabus as "things you must know because we aren't going to give the equations/reactions to you on the exam", and then we could be tested on other random subjects that somehow relate back to concepts on the syllabus. But I see now how any type of reaction is possible.