AAMC qpack physics #24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poochimaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-6-24_11-33-51.png

upload_2016-6-24_11-34-13.png

So the answer is A, and the explanation is shown here. Now I get why increasing L by a factor of 2 will decrease the electric field (via formula E = V/L), but I don't get why decreasing R by a factor of 2 does not have the same effect.

My rationale is: via V = IR, if you hold current constant decreasing R by a factor of 2 would decrease V by a factor of 2. If V decreases by a factor of 2, E would also decrease by a factor of 2.

So, where did the AAMC solution get the formula E = (V - IR)/L from? What error am I making in my reasoning?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The circuit setup has a battery, resistor, and capacitor (vacuum photodiode). The voltage from the battery drops across the circuit elements in one closed loop, with these elements being the resistor and capacitor.

The voltage drop across the resistor = IR. The remaining voltage drops across the capacitor which is V - IR. (V is the voltage from the battery).

The relationship between E-field and voltage between plates of a capacitor is V = E * L where L is the distance between the plates (anode and cathode). So in this case E = (V - IR) / L.

Reactions: 1 users