AAMC Scored vs. Unscored Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who've taken both- how do they compare? If you do well on one, do you typically do well on the other?

I received a 76% overall on the sample (76/74/68/85) and I'm aiming for a 510+ on test day. How does the scored test compare?

FWIW, here are my Kaplan FL scores:
FL 1: 499
FL 2: 497
FL 3: 501
FL 4: 505
FL 5: 502

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken the AAMC sample, the AAMC Online Guide, and the AAMC scored. I've also done most of their currently-offered Questions Packs and the newer Section Bank questions. I thought the sample was a bit easier than the scored, and both were quite a bit easier than the Section Bank questions. Per friends who have sat for the test recently, it sounds like it's getting harder. Maybe try the Section Bank questions and see how you do. Also search the SDN archives for the table that converts raw percentages to scaled scores. I would highly recommend using everything that AAMC offers, especially the Section Bank questions. Good luck!

EDIT: I got 71% overall on the sample (before any content review) and 77% overall on the scored = 509.

Last edited:
77% unscored AAMC - 69%/81%/71%/86% taken 1/7/2016
Scored AAMC - 125/124/127/127_503 taken 3/28/2016
MCAT taken April 1st - 128/123/130/126 _ 507 taken 4/1/2016

Members don't see this ad :)
@CastleG8 Why do you think you did so much better on the unscored sample?
I don't care much for CARS. Somedays I could score 126+ and other days very low. Who knows. It went from my strongest section to my weakest as I prepped. I felt that I nailed it on test day and can't see how it ended up so low. Just hard to believe.

I don't care much for CARS. Somedays I could score 126+ and other days very low. Who knows. It went from my strongest section to my weakest as I prepped. I felt that I nailed it on test day and can't see how it ended up so low. Just hard to believe.

Same. Scored 10 questions better on sample than scored. I've scored as high as 128 on CARS and as low as 122.

I got a 514 on the scored and mid 80s on the sample test (~517). I thought both were about the same difficulty except for CARS. This section was much easier on the sample test.

Unscored sample test: 90.75% (522)

Scored FL: 524

n=1 but I'd be willing to bet there's a very strong correlation

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Unscored sample test: 90.75% (522)

Scored FL: 524

n=1 but I'd be willing to bet there's a very strong correlation

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

damn dude thats a crazy score. I saw you post somewhere about the mcat. Hope you killed it!!

Also, do you recommend any strategy/tips for CARS. I am really struggling in that section.

Reactions: 1 user
damn dude thats a crazy score. I saw you post somewhere about the mcat. Hope you killed it!!

Also, do you recommend any strategy/tips for CARS. I am really struggling in that section.

If you're looking for a CARS strategy from a prep company, I'd recommend EK's, but honestly I just eventually decided to ignore every strategy that I'd read about after trying a few, and just started doing CARS passages in the way that I felt intuitively was best for me, which is how I got a 132 on the CARS section of the AAMC scored FL.

Sample FL CARS is not representative at all. Its lacking in designated "hard" passages like in the scored FL.

For those who've taken both- how do they compare? If you do well on one, do you typically do well on the other?

I received a 76% overall on the sample (76/74/68/85) and I'm aiming for a 510+ on test day. How does the scored test compare?

FWIW, here are my Kaplan FL scores:
FL 1: 499
FL 2: 497
FL 3: 501
FL 4: 505
FL 5: 502

Hey what did you score on the real MCAT? my practice scores are about the same and just want to know where I would stand for the real one in a few weeks.

Hey what did you score on the real MCAT? my practice scores are about the same and just want to know where I would stand for the real one in a few weeks.
I got a 512 (130/124/128/130). Probably should've retaken because of my CARS, but ended up with 2 MD acceptances (one was off of a waitlist).

I got a 512 (130/124/128/130). Probably should've retaken because of my CARS, but ended up with 2 MD acceptances (one was off of a waitlist).

Congratulations on your acceptances!

My CARS score is also very low in all my full lengths. I have been practicing alot but it doesn't budge. Do you remember what you scored on the AAMC Scored Exam 1?

My CARS score is also very low in all my full lengths. I have been practicing alot but it doesn't budge. Do you remember what you scored on the AAMC Scored Exam 1?
Yes I do: it was a 510 (128/126/128/128). I wish I had gotten the same CARS score on the real thing because it might've changed my application cycle a bit, but who knows. Good luck!

Definitely try the EK cars strategy, its so simple and intuitive as opposed to kaplans. (I got a 129 on cars).

what is the EK cars strategy? I had the course from Kaplan so I know theirs. I don't have any of the EK material!

Yes I do: it was a 510 (128/126/128/128). I wish I had gotten the same CARS score on the real thing because it might've changed my application cycle a bit, but who knows. Good luck!

Gotchya! So about a 2 point increase on the real thing. What about AAMC Scored 2 exam?

Definitely try the EK cars strategy, its so simple and intuitive as opposed to kaplans. (I got a 129 on cars).
what is the EK cars strategy? I had the course from Kaplan so I know theirs. I don't have any of the EK material!

Well, honestly I don't even think I would call it a "strategy." But the basic strategy that I followed (and multiple companies including EK teach this strategy) is to not go around passages looking to see which one is easy because if you want to go to a good med school you'll most likely have to do all the passages anyway. Also they teach more reading for the main idea because the main idea can be used to answer 90% of the questions. Also writing things down isn't a good idea because it just wastes time, if you ever need any small details it's right there next to the question. Simple things that all make intuitive sense, I would highly recommend buying the EK CARS book.