AAMC Self Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commoncold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a passage-based question, anyone who did the self assessment and understand care to share? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• AAMC #121.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 86
This is a passage-based question, anyone who did the self assessment and understand care to share? Thanks in advance!

It's a two step question that requires you to "read b/t the lines" and realize that if the affinity of binding of the tracer used to detect RNA was different at 20 degrees than at 35 degrees then the conclusions wouldn't be valid. Let's say that the tracer bond twice as well at 35 degrees than at 20 degrees -- then even if you have the same amount of RNA in the cells at both temperatures you would detect twice as much at the higher temp b/c twice as much tracer would be bound to RNA.

The best way to work this question is to eliminate choices that are obviously wrong. I'd argue that at least two (probably three) of the choices are obviously wrong which leaves you with the right answer without having to wrack your brain as much (i.e., spend time on the question) as you would have otherwise.

Leonardo Noto
www.leonardonoto.com or follow me on Twitter @DrLeonardoNoto

For the results to be valid, you must be comparing apples to apples. If the ratio of labeled precursers is different at different temperatures, you are not making an accurate comparison between the two groups.