AAMC test 2 biochem help please spoilers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i would appreciate some help with this question please. I don't quite understand the relationship between disulfide bonds and reducing agents and Figure one. If you could please be as thorough as possible i would appreciate it thanks. Also if there are similar relationships to this one perhaps like disulfide bonds and oxidizing agents or something like that could you please state the relationship. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 2.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 2.55.33 PM.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 52
When you run a gel, you have the option of adding denaturants like SDS and reducing agents like DTT and BME (Google "gel electrophoresis reducing agents"). If you run a gel without either, that's called a native gel and the protein will move through the gel matrix based on its 3D structure since it's still folded up. To get the protein to unfold, you add a denaturant like SDS which also coats the protein with a huge negative charge. So now you have proteins in extended form coated with a huge negative charge so that it will migrate through the matrix based on size alone - you've removed 3D structure as a consideration. Finally, you can run it under reducing conditions as well in addition to the denaturant. This reduces disulfide bonds. Disulfides are oxidized relative to their free thiol forms. To see this, figure out the oxidation state of sulfur in R-S-S-R versus R-S-H. You'll find that it's -1 in one complex and -2 in the other. So to reduce the disulfides R-S-S-R to R-S-H, you need a reducing agent.

If a disulfide bond is holding subunits of proteins together, which is not uncommon, then by running a reducing gel, you'll break the disulfide bonds and thus break the subunits apart and they'll separate on the gel based on their respective sizes.

Reactions: 1 user