AAMC VR Self-Assessment Official Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread shall serve as the official site for discussion of the AAMC Self-Assessment in MCAT Verbal Reasoning.

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC Self Assessment VR: question 54, passage 10
If you got AAMC VR Self Assessment question #54 correct, what was your reasoning?

Last edited:
Assume that the following statements are true. Which one is inconsistent with the assertion that the biomass pyramid of the sea is inverted?

The claim that photosynthesis absorbs only ten percent of the energy reaching Earth necessitates which of the following conclusions?

Last edited:
AAMC Self Assessment VR: question 54, passage 10
If you got AAMC VR Self Assessment question #54 correct, what was your reasoning?

Please PM me if you know the answer.

Reason: I have not finished taking the VR Self Assessment and do NOT want spoilers about the other questions! (And my test is coming up very soon, so I would rather not wait to post this.)

Anyone?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone should make an answer key for the VR SA and put it on SDN... It's annoying that someone has to finish all these questions before finding out how they did...

Last edited:
Someone should make an answer key for the VR SA and put it on SDN... It's a annoying that someone has to finish all these question before finding out how they did...

And that would help people to answer our questions.

Last edited:
Passage 12:

63. How could anyone KNOW that "the Academy" is a museum and NOT an observatory, non-museum building at a university, or similar? If you can't "know" that, then AAMC got it wrong.

65. Doesn't calling a statue by something other than it's name suggest a lack of knowledge? If you agree AND got the RIGHT answer, how did you do so?

Passage 12:

63. How could anyone KNOW that "the Academy" is a museum and NOT an observatory, non-museum building at a university, or similar? If you can't "know" that, then AAMC got it wrong.

65. Doesn't calling a statue by something other than it's name suggest a lack of knowledge? If you agree AND got the RIGHT answer, how did you do so?

#64: I questioned that myself lol. But I think this is one of those things you just need to "infer". Annoying, yes. I had to guess for this one.

#65: They use the word "wickedly" which has a negative connotation.

#64: I questioned that myself lol. But I think this is one of those things you just need to "infer". Annoying, yes. I had to guess for this one.

#65: They use the word "wickedly" which has a negative connotation.

Thank you.

Does anyone else have any addition or different thoughts about this?

Relevant Passage Info
Land Biomass - Photosynthetic heavier, top carnivores lighter (normal not inverted)
Sea Biomass - predators heavier, Photosynthetic much lighter (inverted)
Elim.
A. Algae are photosynthetic, consistent
B. Whales (top predators) are near extinction. This seems inconsistent b/c whales are top predators. They are not the only top predators. This answer would be true if "All marine top predators are near extinction" So one species going extinct doesn't make it inconsistent. This answer is irrelevant
C. Total mass zooplankton > mass algae. consistent b/c predator > algae in sea biomass.
D. Mass sea prey > mass sea predator. Inconsistent b/c this wouldn't be inverted pyramid.

#75, question states only 10% sunlight used by photosynthesis
Elim
B. Green plants photosynthesize better than others. This doesn't answer the question at all, it's irrelevant.
C. Plants have other energy sources than the sun. This is untrue, passage states all energy ultimately from sun.
D. Predators have non-sun related energy sources. Untrue, all energy from sun.
A. Sun energy > Food energy on earth. Yes because Food energy is from photosynthesis, this means food energy <= 10% of sun energy.

Help please:

Passage 20, Questions 113 and 114 of AAMC Verbal Reasoning Self Assessment.

I admit these 2 questions have been giving me lots and lots of trouble. YOUR reasoning about why the correct answer is MORE correct than any or all wrong answers will be greatly appreciated.

(Don't bother copying and pasting the answer key because I've already found that to be useless. I've been averaging above 12 on the VR section so please don't insult me if YOU found these questions easy.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: