AAO Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tufts02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to Vegas this November? Some of the research I have worked on is going to be presented at the subspecialty day, but my issue is with the $700 registration fee for medical students in addition to the $150 for the main conference. Anyone know of any ways around this? My school will only kick in $400...

Members don't see this ad.

I am going this year and giving a talk on Advocacy at the YO Program. I encourage you all to attend the YO Program. We have an awesome agenda planned for you all: http://www.aao.org/careers/yo/annual_meeting.cfm

Young Ophthalmologist Program

Sunday, Nov. 12 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Venetian Hotel, Veronese, Room 2401-B

Sunday, Nov. 12 is YO Day at the 2006 Joint Meeting. The Young Ophthalmologist Committee will present their annual Young Ophthalmologist Day for new ophthalmologists who are faced with a myriad of choices in the transition from training to practice.

The Young Ophthalmologist Committee along with select practice management consultants will share their own experience and expertise.

This program addresses important topics of interest to all new ophthalmologists including:

Contracts/Buy–ins/Negotiating
Understanding Practice Financials & Insurance
Advocacy
Marketing/How to Network
Coding
You will have an opportunity to meet and talk to other young ophthalmologists facing similar challenges. For further information contact the Member Services Department, 415.447.0376 or [email protected]. Register early as last year's event was sold out. Use event code SPE06 to register. Fee: $35.00. Sponsored in part by an unrestricted grant from

Young Ophthalmologist Reception

Sunday, Nov. 12 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Venetian Hotel, Zeno, Room 4701

Join us at the YO Reception to meet your fellow Young Ophthalmologists to compare and share experiences of practicing in competitive markets and to have the opportunity to meet Academy leadership. A wonderful array of hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be served. Reception is FREE. The YO Reception is made possible through a generous grant from

Also, I encourage you to attend:

Crisis! How to Manage the Political Crisis in our Profession
Monday Nov. 13
12:45 to 2:45 p.m.

The Venetian, Marcello Ballroom

The profession of ophthalmology is in crisis, as exemplified by the time and resources expended to rescind the directive that allowed optometrists to perform laser surgery in Veterans Administration Hospitals, ongoing legislative battles in Oklahoma to repeal legislation that authorizes optometrists to perform incision surgical procedures, and recent cuts in Medicare payments, the flawed SGR formula, and stalled tort reform legislation. This symposium will educate and provide you the advocacy tools necessary to strengthen our profession and protect our patients. FREE!

hey... I presented at AAO last year and I definitely did not pay $750 for registration... I think you need to register under the "allied health" category which includes med students and it shouldn't be more than $150..
hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
it's 150 for the main conf and an additional 650 for the subspecialty day which is when our research is being presented. thanks though for helping out

Was wondering if any of you guys are going to AAO this year and want to meet up!

I'll be there too but haven't figured out my schedule yet. I'll probably be busy at night but will most likely have time during the day on Sun or Mon!