ABA Written Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scent of a mule

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received the piece of paper they were supposed to send out on the 23rd? I passed, but wanted to see by what slim margin. Snail mail can't be that slow.....

Members don't see this ad.

I got mine today. Mean 250, sd 50, min pass 209. Gives you numerical score and missed keywords.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the piece of paper they were supposed to send out on the 23rd? I passed, but wanted to see by what slim margin. Snail mail can't be that slow.....

I didn't get anything yet.

I received mine in the mail today, Thursday Oct. 29.

Okay, I knew already that I passed the damn thing. I didn't do quite as well as I expected I'd done, but I still did okay. So what. The score is irrelevant. This test was like Step 3 in my book. No one cares what the score is provided you simply passed it.

I'm also sure that many of you guys out there have penises that are a lot larger than mine. There. Feel better about yourself?

This thread is pointless.

-copro

whats a score of 290 reflect on performance

Last edited:
whats a score of 290 reflect on performance
You know as well as anyone. The mean is 250, the standard deviation is 50. 290 is within one standard deviation from the mean. Assuming a normal distribution, 68% of the test takers fell within that range, and 27% within the next, etc.
Or were you just trying to tell everyone you got a 290?

Here is another question: Whats a score of 354 reflect on performance?

Last edited:
Okay, I knew already that I passed the damn thing. I didn't do quite as well as I expected I'd done, but I still did okay. So what. The score is irrelevant. This test was like Step 3 in my book. No one cares what the score is provided you simply passed it.

I'm also sure that many of you guys out there have penises that are a lot larger than mine. There. Feel better about yourself?

This thread is pointless.

-copro

I have to agree with copro on this one -- the score is meaningless. You passed or failed. That's it. Hopefully you all passed. Time to move on to the next step. I don't even remember what I got last year, nor did anyone ask me at any of my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

Stupid or not - they will ask you about the results when you apply for a fellowship.

that's right....50% should fail and not be allowed to practice unsupervised...

Mil, I do think the cutoff for passing seems a bit low, but I'm curious what your reasoning for 50% failure is.

Mil, I do think the cutoff for passing seems a bit low, but I'm curious what your reasoning for 50% failure is.

it's just a number that I made up......like I said...I advocate a lot fewer of us.

it's just a number that I made up......like I said...I advocate a lot fewer of us.

I have a better proposal - an obligatory recertification exam for all of those certified before 2000 and an implementation of yours cutoffs of 50%

Will work like a miracle on decreasing the number of us ;)

Nothing personal, Mil - just a symmetric response to your proposal.

I have a better proposal - an obligatory recertification exam for all of those certified before 2000 and an implementation of yours cutoffs of 50%

I would have no problems with that....a very good proposal....and fyi...I passed the writtens as a CA-0

and scored 98th %percentile the last time I took it.

Since board certification isn't a prerequisite for actually practicing, I don't see how a recert exam that de-certifies a bunch of people who've been practicing a while would actually reduce the pool of available anesthesiologists.

You'd just have half the anesthesiologists in the US abruptly decide that they want nothing to do with the ASA or the ABA. They'd give us all the finger and keep on working.

We're stuck with the marginal late-90s cohort until they decide to quit.

Since board certification isn't a prerequisite for actually practicing, I don't see how a recert exam that de-certifies a bunch of people who've been practicing a while would actually reduce the pool of available anesthesiologists.

You'd just have half the anesthesiologists in the US abruptly decide that they want nothing to do with the ASA or the ABA. They'd give us all the finger and keep on working.

gosh, I was just being sarcastic. a little bit.

I would have no problems with that....a very good proposal....and fyi...I passed the writtens as a CA-0

and scored 98th %percentile the last time I took it.

I have no doubt you will pass ;) I was referring to a different cohort :smuggrin:

True, but our hospital says you have to be eligible to be on the med staff. Once you are no longer in the eligibility system you can't work here.

...I passed the writtens as a CA-0

That's my problem with the passing cutoff. It isn't very difficult to do just a moderate amount of steady studying as a CA-1 and pass the exam at the end of that year. That's before taking a single subspecialty rotation. I think the standard to be board certified should require more.

True, but our hospital says you have to be eligible to be on the med staff. Once you are no longer in the eligibility system you can't work here.

They'd change their tune in a hurry if 50% of their anesthesiologists suddenly exited the eligibility system.

Hoyden - wasn't jumping on you. This idea of reducing our numbers comes up a lot, and I was just making the point (badly, I'll grant) that such a change would have to come from reducing residency slots and not removing people from practice. Ie, the dermatology method.

They'd change their tune in a hurry if 50% of their anesthesiologists suddenly exited the eligibility system.

Hoyden - wasn't jumping on you. This idea of reducing our numbers comes up a lot, and I was just making the point (badly, I'll grant) that such a change would have to come from reducing residency slots and not removing people from practice. Ie, the dermatology method.

The hospitals could do whatever they want, but if CMS or other payers decide NOT to reimburse for services UNLESS a BC physician is signing the chart....it would happen.

and you know....insurance companies are always looking for ways to NOT pay...

Last edited:
The hospitals could do whatever they want, but if CMS or other payers decide NOT to reimburse for services UNLESS a BC physician is signing the chart....it would happen.

and you know....insurance companies are always looking for ways to NOT pay...

MMD, I am somewhat surprised by your comments. I cant believe that you are advocating for CMS and other payers to insist on only reimbursing a BC physician. Isnt there already enough needless interference blocking fair and timely reimbursement. Basically, you are saying that no anesthesiologist who graduates and enters the job market should be reimbursed in the first year of practice. What about ortho or OB docs who cannot obtain BC for two years after leaving residency? No money for them either. All of this while others (NP's, PA's, chiros, etc.) have no such barriers to reimbursement. If you want to restrict numbers in anesthesiology by decreasing residency spots then fine. I would be incensed if your suggestion came from some pencil pushing executive in the insurance world. Imagine how I feel when it comes from one of our own.

They already do this...most hospitals give you 3-5 years to get BC. They recredential every two years and would certainly address this if they need to. You can be decredentialed.

I can't believe you guys think reducing our numbers somehow will make our specialty stronger.

Is it because you hope this will drive up demand and increase your own paycheck?

I have to disagree with this line of thought.

We are not dermatology. We do not have our own practice (except pain). We are for the most part employees (albeit ones that help save lives) and so while we are more vulnerable to hospital CEO's and health care reform than other doctors, we at least have strength in numbers.

The standard of care now for the most part is us taking care of patients in the OR.
If we decide to give up our role, CRNAs will flock to fill the void (though obviously their level of care will not be as good) and we will lose out much more and risk becoming obsolete.

Just reading this forum and my personal observations, I feel like anesthesiologists have no pride. In what other specialty would its members be advocating to reduce its own numbers, or claiming that a lot of their colleagues are inept and shouldn't be allowed to practice or get reimbursed?!? Talk about dog eat dog.

Anecdotally, I know there have been situations in the OR where if I or another competent anesthesiologist had not been present, the patient would have died, guaranteed. I'm sure a lot of the upper level residents or practicing guys can recall situations like that. Or are you all doing ASA I breast biopsies?

I actually hold my profession in high regard and see its value. Coming onto this forum and reading some of this stuff pisses me off.

Last edited: