life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
Sorry to get your hopes up, but scores haven't been mailed yet that I know of.

Anyone know when we might get them? Saw something from last year that they were mailed on 22 December.

Here's hoping our results come soon!

EMCC

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
That was cruel! I started to get palpitations thinking you had already gotten your score back...

kungfufishing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I just checked the abem site last night, they have an "announcements" section that contained....nothing.

I have also heard "around christmas".

Of course, why I'm eager to learn of my failure, I don't know.

About the Ads

emergiQ

Killer Whale Trainer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
The Hockey Hall of Fame
Status
Attending Physician
I'm just finding it hard to believe that it would take 90 days to get back scores from a computerized test.
Well, that they could have just given us our result on the day out the door - technically speaking - isn't much of a stretch.

It's the admin stuff, I guess. Fitting the mean from all past years, etc.

Whatever. Clearly we're just talking about this to pass the time until we get the damn scores :) :laugh:

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
That was cruel! I started to get palpitations thinking you had already gotten your score back...
No joke! And my networked picked the exact moment between when I read the topic heading and when your message opened to get very sloooowwwww!

Take care,
Jeff

EMCC

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
No joke! And my networked picked the exact moment between when I read the topic heading and when your message opened to get very sloooowwwww!

Take care,
Jeff

I think that means that you passed. Good things come to those who wait, right?!

erdocdd

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Tampa, FL
Status
Attending Physician
Last year, I believe they took the exam in October --> results in December, before x-mas.

I guess we're looking at January since we took it a month later?!
Hoping to slip into a coma until the results come. :sleep:
Maybe a propofol gtt... can have my wife wean me off the day it comes.

I think I check the ABEM website every day.

:luck::xf:

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
Last year, I believe they took the exam in October --> results in December, before x-mas.

I guess we're looking at January since we took it a month later?!
Hoping to slip into a coma until the results come. :sleep:
Maybe a propofol gtt... can have my wife wean me off the day it comes.

I think I check the ABEM website every day.

:luck::xf:
Did they really take it in October? I thought it was always offered in November?

mikecwru

M.D. = Massive Debt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Did they really take it in October? I thought it was always offered in November?

I took it the year before last in November, and the results were sent out in Dec. (I didn't get mine until we moved into our new house on Jan. 5, but mine got lost.)

mike

About the Ads

ER-ER-Oh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Does anyone else feel like that was the strangest test ever?

dchristismi

Gin and Tonic
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Central Florida
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I found a distraction: appendicitis. I hadn't even though about my boards until now.

Was minding my own business Sat night when had a slow onset of vague abd cramping around 4am. To make a long story short, I finished my shift (was solo coverage then), went home, but got to the point where I couldn't blame an AGE, so went back in. After the morphine, it was obvious that the pain had migrated smack over McBurney's. (As we all know from the EM literature.) Got my lap appy last night, and am back home now. And hadn't thought about ABEM until I surfed over here.

The percocet will make me forget, though. :) I feel like I've done 3 hours of pilates, and 600 situps... all my core muscles are SOOO sore,and my chest really hurts, probably from the insufflation. But I'm home. And I'm choosing to believe that I passed. Of course, I chose to believe my abdominal pain was just food poisoning (sx started to come on about 30 min after eating hospital food), too.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this as a distraction plan. Although it did work...

Danielle

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I found a distraction: appendicitis. I hadn't even though about my boards until now.

Was minding my own business Sat night when had a slow onset of vague abd cramping around 4am. To make a long story short, I finished my shift (was solo coverage then), went home, but got to the point where I couldn't blame an AGE, so went back in. After the morphine, it was obvious that the pain had migrated smack over McBurney's. (As we all know from the EM literature.) Got my lap appy last night, and am back home now. And hadn't thought about ABEM until I surfed over here.

The percocet will make me forget, though. :) I feel like I've done 3 hours of pilates, and 600 situps... all my core muscles are SOOO sore,and my chest really hurts, probably from the insufflation. But I'm home. And I'm choosing to believe that I passed. Of course, I chose to believe my abdominal pain was just food poisoning (sx started to come on about 30 min after eating hospital food), too.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this as a distraction plan. Although it did work...

Danielle
Glad to see you are functioning now. Assuming all went well with it. Hope the pain goes away soon (and that the percocets aren't needed to get rid of it).

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Southern, you're one evil man.

Evil, pure evil.

I just got back from a week long hunt in the middle of nowhere hoping to find "the" envelope. Nada.

Take care,
Jeff

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
I hope it takes as long as possible. I really don't want to know after I got that sinking feeling during the exam. It's only been getting worse since then...

USAF MD '05

Just another dumb ER doc.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
across the pond
Status
Attending Physician
Seriously. This is getting ridiculous. It's a computerized test that is not *supposed* to be curved. Throw out the bad questions and get on with it!

About the Ads

emergiQ

Killer Whale Trainer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
The Hockey Hall of Fame
Status
Attending Physician
It might be a best of ten if they threw out all the bad ones....
I heard that there is a delay because there are allegations of cheating....
Something about MLK residents .... I JEST I JEST

THIS IS ONLY A TEST JOKE. THIS IS NOT A REAL RUMOR MILL

God, anything to pass the time. Get us the damn results already....

erdocdd

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Tampa, FL
Status
Attending Physician
The website reports that they will post a notice on the day they mail the results.

Yes... I check the website a few times a day for updates.
That, and me stalking the mailman, has nearly driven me insane.

The good news is:
At the rate they're going, if you failed, you'll only have to wait a few weeks before the next test in November.

EMCC

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
The only way I keep from going insane is thinking that the longer the results take...the less likely it is that I failed.

After all, if I failed, they would have figured it out right away, right???!

About the Ads

ccemmd

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
YAHHHOOOO!!! I Passed, but I'm still not sure I got the $%@# plastic arm question correct? ;):D:cool::cool::love::love::p:p:):):

dchristismi

Gin and Tonic
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Central Florida
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Got my letter today:

Congratulations! The American Board of Emergency Medicine is pleased to inform you that you get to fork out another $1125 in either February or August and fly to Chicago.

:)

emergiQ

Killer Whale Trainer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
The Hockey Hall of Fame
Status
Attending Physician
Passed. And got the pleasure of having another indecipherable page of questions I missed. I've added it to the pile of all my in-service exams. Anybody actually USE that ridiculous aid?

By the way, passed very comfortably, thank you very much, but actually had a score lower than the lowest score that I ever got on any of the inservice exams. Weird.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Congrats to all the above passers!

Guess who just moved and filled out a change of address form, but still has yet to get his score...me.

BatmanMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Gotham
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Passed also. def agree it was a horrible test though. not a lot of real world ED stuff.

Wilco, I was in the same situation. Moving out of state, and didnt fill out the USPS change of address, just in case it came fri or sat. Just got lucky... Actually moving today.

Congrats to all that passed. Those that didn't do so well, it was a Sh!tty test.

Derek

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 1998
TX
Visit site
Status
By the grace of God I passed. I also had a much higher test score than I did on any of my inservice exams, which is weird. So I guess I score well on tests with obscure questions and hypothetical case presentations which will never show-up in any ED. Congrats to all, see you in Chicago!

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I got my letter. I breathed a sigh of relief at the "you've passed" part only to begin with indigestion again at the "$1,125 for the oral" part.

My wife promptly told me she and our two kids would be accompanying me to Chicago. Apparently, they're more excited about this than I am. Perhaps they have ulterior motives?

Congrats to all!

Take care,
Jeff

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got my letter. I breathed a sigh of relief at the "you've passed" part only to begin with indigestion again at the "$1,125 for the oral" part.

My wife promptly told me she and our two kids would be accompanying me to Chicago. Apparently, they're more excited about this than I am. Perhaps they have ulterior motives?

Congrats to all!

Take care,
Jeff
I think this makes your trip much more expensive than the oral part. :smuggrin:

About the Ads