ABEM Written Board Scores 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMHopeful9012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when scores will be released? I know it’s probably delayed this year with COVID and them extending exam dates but was just wondering if anyone know anything specific? Also, how do we typically find out when they’re available? Do we just get an email? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They have 90 days after the last exam which was 12/15/2020. So any time between now and mid March. Previous years seem to indicate late January.

Anyone know when scores will be released? I know it’s probably delayed this year with COVID and them extending exam dates but was just wondering if anyone know anything specific? Also, how do we typically find out when they’re available? Do we just get an email? Thanks!
looks like the website updated with a score reports section. id look out for it tomorrow as a possibility

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my page doesn't show anything new either. Still says no score reports to display.

So frustrating for those of us that took it early November...

I've never understood why it still takes so long for test scores to be released. It's not like the tests are graded manually. The computers can calculate secures instantly. It shouldn't take more than a couple days for humans to review the data and throw out any bad questions if need be. Heck, a computer would even do that part better than humans.

All the tests were like this... MCAT, USMLE/COMLEX, ABEM.

It makes me wonder if the computer grading the tests looks something like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-200525.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-200525.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 users
I've never understood why it still takes so long for test scores to be released. It's not like the tests are graded manually. The computers can calculate secures instantly. It shouldn't take more than a couple days for humans to review the data and throw out any bad questions if need be. Heck, a computer would even do that part better than humans.

All the tests were like this... MCAT, USMLE/COMLEX, ABEM.

It makes me wonder if the computer grading the tests looks something like this.

They are all run by Dominion....

Reactions: 1 user
My theory is they are delaying them to the point that it’s too late to register for and take spring oral boards since they didn’t give them at all last year and lots of people will be wanting spots. It’s not a good excuse, but sounds like something ABEM would do. Could have used 2020 as an excuse to drop the useless acting exercise but instead we now have to pretend to do telemedicine to impress a judge instead.

I think the issue is, they had make up dates in Dec for people who had their exams cancelled by testing centers due to the pandemic. And that is pushing everything back because they release all the scores at once.

FM gets instant pass fail results. It isnt hard to do for electronic exams. Unimpressive performance by ABEM.

I have been told by someone at ABEM that it will be early February

Members don't see this ad :)
i was told from ABEM we are all getting a P for Patience.

Am I the only one who is totally okay with delaying getting my “fail” as much as possible...?

• Haha
Maybe ABEM will surprise us and it’ll come out this week? They probably wanted to get the 2019 grads scheduled for oral boards before releasing our scores and having to deal with us as well

FM gets instant pass fail results. It isnt hard to do for electronic exams. Unimpressive performance by ABEM.
Yeah, I started having doubts about ABEM the day I got my board certificate in the mail. It was accompanied with another doctor's board certificate! Was having a total wtf moment when I saw that lol.

A friend of mine confirmed with ABEM yesterday that scores "should" be out within the next week.

scores starting to trickle out. 3 out of 8 in my class said came this morning

Driving me nuts. I just want to know how my graduates did!
Do PDs get results at the same time as graduates? I also took the exam on the first day it was offered. I understand that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, but ABEM decided to have in person exams and they’re dropping the ball with this score reporting (esp if they’re actually releasing them in batches).

It's ridiculous, waiting almost 3 months for the results of an electronic exam I had to pay out the nose to take. Actually, it's insulting. The ambiguous, irrelevant and poorly written questions should be reviewed and removed PRIOR to exam administration, not after.
Do any of the more experienced EM docs actually value this process? I am very proud to be an emergency physician, but that pride comes through completing my residency. The board certification process feels like nothing more than a shake down and hazing. Obviously, I'm ranting, but maybe if I wasn't having to wait so long for my results I wouldn't have so much time to think about this...

I honestly don't think they are releasing them in batches. I don't know of anyone who I personally know who has gotten their results yet.
Same. A quick poll of about 25 people who took it this year yielded no results.

I was told “within the next week” so sounds like Friday vs Monday.

I just logged in and saw my result but no score report.... real slick ABEM. 🙄

Can any of you log in and see if your certification page is different? Mine says I passed but there's no score or test listed

Yes, same - status changed but no scores yet. Hopeful, but not much confidence in this process until everything is posted...

I passed! Hooray!!! Time to move on from this test!!!!

• Love
I’m seeing a checkmark next to “pass the exam”...no score report as well...hopefully this doesn’t just mean we completed the exam??

Score reports will be up later today apparently. They’re in the process of uploading.

Any mention if the new check mark is accurate?

I’m seeing a score now. It’s a 3 digit score. So is it out of 1000?

Yeah should we just take out the last 0? It’s honestly not too different than my Inservice

Finally! Congratulations to everybody who passed and an even bigger congratulations to those who didn’t go crazy while waiting almost 3 months for your score.

Yup - the three digit score got corrected to two (dropped the zero) when they uploaded perhaps the world's most convoluted score report ever. I think just constructing that may have taken three months.

Basically same ballpark as in-service.
Glad to be done with that.

Now surprise us all and cancel oral boards :)

Congrats to everyone who passed. I hope you all got the results you wanted after what was surely a tough and trying year for all of us.

So I'm one of the unlucky ones in the 12% that didn't pass. I got a score of 76 :( literally 1 point from passing. Kind of a huge blow and pretty down about it. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here? If they allow re-scoring, I might go ahead and do that, I know the policy says you can't re-score. Any repercussions on not passing it down the line? This is pretty depressing.

I also made a 76. They do not allow re-score per policy; if you find out something different I'd love to know. 12% seems very high. It's a huge bummer but you're not alone.