about IMG friendly programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samdaman

Que Sera Sera
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was reading all the posts about IMG friendly places. I have a feeling that since most PDs are so familiar with the Carribean medical schools that they define what Foreign Medical Graduates are. Am I right on that? I for one am not from a caribbean school. Would it be wise to think that my chances of getting into a program are as good as theirs or worse?

Secondly, does anyone have any information on the two UMDNJ programs in new jersey... How receptive are they to FMGs and if they have anything different about them.

Peace
samdaman

Members don't see this ad.

There's 3 EM programs right now in New Jersey - Cooper (UMDNJ), Morristown, and Newark-Beth Israel.

Newark-Beth Israel used to be REALLY FMG friendly - lots from St. George's and Ross, someone from Technion (Israel), someone from Guy's in the UK. Recently, though, all USMD's, and one or two USDO's (it's dually accredited).

Cooper - I don't know.

Morristown - the PD, Rich Shih, is anti-FMG as strongly as you can be. He would rather take people completely out of medicine (totally) for 6 years before an FMG (one such grad, DO 1996, in business totally unrelated to medicine, who started in 2002). A friend who did transitional there said that he was impressed with her, right up to when he asked where she went to med school (thinking it was UMDNJ). When he found out it was in the Caribbean, he just STOPPED talking to her. Right there.

I'm trying to think if UMDNJ-Newark has rumblings of starting a program.

Foreign grad not from the Caribbean? I honestly don't know what to tell you. I only know one grad from a school in Pakistan to do EM in the US (but he had done 2 years of IM at the program, and was in the charter class). I'm sure there are others, but I don't know where. I do know they're pretty rare.

Hey, thanks for the info. Its surprising to know that someone can be THAT obssessive about not having FMGs in their program. It would be interesting to know about other programs in the US where the PDs have similar attitudes... would save me some money as well!!! Anyone have any info on that?

Thanks again...
Peace
samdaman

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it also depends on if applicants are US citizens or not. I think US grads that train at foreign places may be more readily looked at. Also, I think that there are some programs that would take someone from a program in Europe or Australia before taking someone from the Caribbean.

As for the IMG unfriendly, I would probably place York Hospital and St. Luke's in PA in this category based on personal experience.

When I was still in medical school, I was looking at places that offered a variety of things (i.e. flight and hyperbaric), I contacted St. Lukes to ask about going up and seeing just for a day. I was told by the person I contacted (PD) that it would be very unlikely that they would ever take an IMG since they cannot judge their education. I said to them, I'm not asking about a residency, I just want to go and observe for a day.

The other one is York that I had a negative experience. According to what I had access to on ERAS, they had rejected me after downloading my common application form....they did not have my Letters, Board scores, grades, etc downloaded...just sent me the rejection...I questioned them and never heard......However, that year they did not wind up filling by the match.

Just my 2 cents and my experience.

Hey thanks for the information. It really helps. Let me put down some facts, the way I understand them. 1. the J1 visa is sponsored by ECFMG and was made with the concept of foreigners coming to the US to learn and study. 2. the H1B visa has cost and hassle issues, but they are usually handled by the applicant himself, and the program really does'nt need to do anything as such. My question is, why exactly do they STILL have this reluctance?

Furthermore, if they talk about verification of education, then i think tHey thanks for the information. It really helps. Let me put down some facts, the way I understand them. 1. the J1 visa is sponsored by ECFMG and was made with the concept of foreigners coming to the US to learn and study. 2. the H1B visa has cost and hassle issues, but they are usually handled by the applicant himself, and the program really does'nt need to do anything as such. My question is, why exactly do they STILL have this reluctance?

Furthermore, if they talk about verification of education, then i think the boards dont mean much after all coz the whole concept is lost on them. I got a 98/242 in step one.... where do i stand if he needs to verify my education as well? does he mean to say that that was a fluke?

ITs quite a paradox dont u think?
samdaman