? about immunizations and titers....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackeyWackey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am going to MWU-CCP and I know they require titers to prove that you've had your immunizations, However, I recieved my first series of the shots the middle of June, and I know the series won't be complete until december. My question is, if the school requires titers, but my series isn't complete, will I still need to get the titers or do I get the titers done in December? I will call and ask tomorrow, but I am just curious and cannot sleep, so I thought I'd ask. What do other schools do as far as this goes?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I am going to MWU-CCP and I know they require titers to prove that you've had your immunizations, However, I recieved my first series of the shots the middle of June, and I know the series won't be complete until december. My question is, if the school requires titers, but my series isn't complete, will I still need to get the titers or do I get the titers done in December? I will call and ask tomorrow, but I am just curious and cannot sleep, so I thought I'd ask. What do other schools do as far as this goes?
Thanks in advance!

Titers will show negative until the series is complete. Get titers for everything but the ones that you are in the process of completing. For instance, my Hep B series is incomplete, but I did labs for DtP, MMR, and Varicella. My MMR came back negative, so I'll have to get a booster. Contact the school to let them know you're mid-series, they usually will allow you to complete the series by a specified date. (Hopefully as late as December)

You should definately call Student Services and make sure, but I remember them saying as long as you have proof you started the series it should be OK.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they'd require a titer until the series is complete, however, you might get a positive result, although not sufficient.

Remember, there are a certain number of individuals who will not show a positive titer even after a complete series. In that case, you just redo a series, but in an accelerated form.

The CDC just released an accelerated form of immunization, but if you've received two, its too late to go for that.

I'd stop worrying & go to sleep. As long as you've started the series, you're ok!!

Usually school will give you up till the end of your first semester to get everything done. So you should be alright.

Midwestern is so lax with their immunizations. You dont absolutly have to have it done until you start your IPE hospital rotation the 2nd quarter of PS1 yr. And yes, as long as you can prove you started the series it is ok. They will give you an opportunity to get your titers drawn when you are on campus. All their "deadlines" always get extended. They just want to have as much of it done as possible.