Medical check ups, vaccines, titers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bn43py53

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is all supposed to be done prior to the start of school which I believe not doing prevents you from registering. The thing is that the out of pocket costs can get 'up there' if you're out of luck with your insurance on these issues. What do you guys suggest I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

This is all supposed to be done prior to the start of school which I believe not doing prevents you from registering. The thing is that the out of pocket costs can get 'up there' if you're out of luck with your insurance on these issues. What do you guys suggest I should do?
Usually, your university's health center should be relatively inexpensive for vaccines. Checkups too, for before you matriculate.

Curious though - (I don't know how old you are (above or below 26), or what the situation is with your parents [(un)employed, (no) health insurance, alive, etc.])

I'd also suggest your county health department. I got my TB test done for $10 through my local health dept. I also did a couple of vaccines at the health dept. where I used to live and the rates were cheaper for students (if you had to get them for school).

You might also check to see if there are any community health clinics in your area - we have one in our area (it is just called "Community Health") and they will give you "discount" based upon your income if you don't have insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually, your university's health center should be relatively inexpensive for vaccines. Checkups too, for before you matriculate.

Curious though - (I don't know how old you are (above or below 26), or what the situation is with your parents [(un)employed, (no) health insurance, alive, etc.])

Sorry - I should have addressed this in my previous post. My insurance wouldn't cover vaccinations. A check-up they'd cover and the TB test would have been iffy (for $10 I didn't bother with my $25 office visit co-pay).

Heck, my daughter's insurance wouldn't cover her immunizations when she was 6 years old (the cut-off for vaccination coverage was 5!).

Believe me, I feel your pain. I remember all that, yuk.

First of all don't get any titers done, the vaccines are cheaper (e.g. if you cannot prove previous varicella diagnoses the vaccine is cheaper than the titer). Next, have you gone to your local Dept. of Health? Much cheaper than private practises.

Next, CVS' or Walgreen's in store clinics are cheaper than dirt. In my area a basic physical is $20 (usually $35, but they were running a summer special when I was there for summer camps and such). That's over $100 less than any doctor's office quoted me when I called around. Depending on your Dept. of Health's fee schedule their TB screening may be cheaper as well. Check it out.

Good Luck!

Edit: Never mind about the check-up or TB screening. lol

Actually, the document in my hand states that a "lab report must be attached" in bold print which goes on all of boxes requiring signature. They'd be looking for me to do the blood work and attach it to the sheet as confirmation. You could see how 5-6 worth of titers, a physical, 1-2 vaccines, and TB screening I'd have to tack on as additional expense. Thanks guys for the help. I'll be sure to shop around in my area before starting this process.

Actually, the document in my hand states that a "lab report must be attached" in bold print which goes on all of boxes requiring signature. They'd be looking for me to do the blood work and attach it to the sheet as confirmation. You could see how 5-6 worth of titers, a physical, 1-2 vaccines, and TB screening I'd have to tack on as additional expense. Thanks guys for the help. I'll be sure to shop around in my area before starting this process.

What labs/blood work do they want attached? For me, the line about attached lab reports only applied if you had labs done (i.e. attach all labs) for example if you wanted to prove immunization without getting the vaccines. What labs does your school require? Also because your insurance covers your physical ($25 copay?) and your TB screening is only $10, I am begining to think you are griping about nothing. Vaccines are usually cheap at the health dept (less than $100 total). The only things on your list that are expensive are the 5-6 titers (and maybe the blood work? I am not fimiliar with those prices). What titers do they require? Titers are expensive, I doubt you need them.

Your welcome for the help. Hope you find some good deals!

Definitely check out your local health department. I'm going through the same process right now (sounds like you're going to USC), and the health department will provide most of the vaccines and tests for free. I had all my vaccines done with the LA County Public Health Dept., and they also offer free TB tests. Certain branches will even do your titers, although you'd have to call around to see which ones will and to check if they're free.

Unfortunately, they don't do physicals as far as I know.

My county health department must be underfunded because I remember that my shots were expensive. I only had to get a HepA shot. I don't remember the exact cost but I believe it was comparable to the Minute Clinic. The thing is that some of these immunizations are two and three shot series. I still have the last Hep A shot to go. :( Some of my classmates ended up spending over $300 to get all the shots and we didn't even require a physical.

Here are some Minute Clinic prices:

What labs/blood work do they want attached? For me, the line about attached lab reports only applied if you had labs done (i.e. attach all labs) for example if you wanted to prove immunization without getting the vaccines. What labs does your school require? Also because your insurance covers your physical ($25 copay?) and your TB screening is only $10, I am begining to think you are griping about nothing. Vaccines are usually cheap at the health dept (less than $100 total). The only things on your list that are expensive are the 5-6 titers (and maybe the blood work? I am not fimiliar with those prices). What titers do they require? Titers are expensive, I doubt you need them.

Your welcome for the help. Hope you find some good deals!

I just want to point out that I'm the one who stated I had a $25 co-pay for physicals and $10 TB test - not the original poster.

Another thing - if you happen to have a job at a hospital (or if you can get one soon) - I was able to get my yearly TB tests for free (since they are required) and they also did my Hep B titer at no charge for me (at employee health).

I would advise you to check with your pharmacy school before you spend any money. If I am reading my info right that I received from my school we pay a $495 fee (not optional) at the beginning of the 1st year and I think it covers any vaccines and titers you will need. We will be having appointments set up for us during the first few weeks of classes where our status will be evaluated and necessary services provided. I would check to see if your school has a similar program.

You are probably not the only one with this complaint. Tell the school about it and how it is a bit pricey for you. They may be able to get you discounts or tell you about where you can get these things done super cheap.