About to be a Junior. Application is currently very weak. How to make my App as strong as possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aristocratic

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Current Stats
  • Shadowing - 40 Hours
  • GPA - 3.51
  • Science GPA - 3.2
  • Pre-Requisites (So far)
    • English 1
    • English 2
    • Bio 1
    • Bio 2
  • Extracurriculars
    • Clinical Volunteering - 0 Hours
    • Volunteering - 10 Hours
    • AAMC Summer Health Professions Education Program (Currently enrolled in)
  • Research
    • 0 Hours

I'm first-generation so my parents are really clueless about this entire process, I've tried to gather as much info as I can from the internet.

I currently go to a community college and have spent the last two years completing GE courses, as well as taking math courses (I scored low on Math on the SAT, so I was forced to take developmental math, and intermediate algebra). The Chemistry Department at my school is quite poor, so I avoided taking those classes here.

I am planning on transferring to the University of Florida once I get my AA. My major will be political science. I believe I can start going to UF in the Fall of 2018.

What do you guys think I should be doing once I get to UF (or until then)?

I really want to have a strong application, and will work very hard to achieve that over the next two years - please, any advice you have, I would greatly appreciate!

Please!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not bite off more than you can chew. You need to prioritize your GPA. Once that is under control and you have the swing of it, clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering come into play, and lastly research.

The MCAT is obviously a huge priority but given your course history you aren't ready to begin focused preparation for it.

Do not bite off more than you can chew. You need to prioritize your GPA. Once that is under control and you have the swing of it, clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering come into play, and lastly research.

The MCAT is obviously a huge priority but given your course history you aren't ready to begin focused preparation for it.

Yes, I wanted to start focusing on the MCAT after I was done with pre reqs.

How many science courses do you think I should do per semester.

I really feel like my extracurricular are lacking compared to other applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won’t be applying for several years so you have time to develop a good and solid application. Do you plan to enroll at UF in The Fall of this year? Or do you plan to stay at your CC? First and foremost work on your GPA. When you transfer take it slow and focus on adjusting to your new surroundings. It would probably be okay to find one activity that interests you but your focus should be your grades. Maybe look for a service organization that helps the unserved/underserved in the surrounding community. When you are comfortable with your courses you can add more activities. You’ll need at least 150 hours of clinical experience(direct patient contact), around 50 hours of shadowing including some hours with a primary care doc. You’ll slso need at least 150 hours of nonclinical experience in service to others. In all of these areas find something you are passionate about. If you are interested in research hopefully you can find something when you transfer. Take your time and develop the best possible application possible.

I feel like a lot of students are already studying for the MCAT. I feel like should be done with my pre-reqs by now :(

Some students probably are but you aren’t any where near ready. You are lacking most of the prereqs. As@Goro always say”med schools aren’t going anywhere”. Stop thinking about what others are doing and do the best you can for yourself. Don’t take the MCAT until you have completed your prereqs and are consistently scoring at your target goal on the FLs. You’ll need a great score so relax and move forward.

Are you also the OP with two profiles?
Yes! I recently searched my profile name, and found identifying material on Google - decided to make a new account.

So if you could delete that previous post - that'd be great.