About to start pharm school, advice on how to make myself competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave4468

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start Pharmacy School soon. Super excited :)

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how I should prioritize everything to make myself competitive for a job after pharm school? I am interested in pursuing retail pharmacy, but I definitely want to leave the option of pursuing a residency open.

Any advice specifically on how I should prioritize GPA, work experience, clubs, researching w/ professors, etc.? Like what should I focus on the most? I heard GPA is not that important?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

About to start Pharmacy School soon. Super excited :)

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how I should prioritize everything to make myself competitive for a job after pharm school? I am interested in pursuing retail pharmacy, but I definitely want to leave the option of pursuing a residency open.

Any advice specifically on how I should prioritize GPA, work experience, clubs, researching w/ professors, etc.? Like what should I focus on the most? I heard GPA is not that important?

Thanks

Gunners are generally not welcomed at our school and gunnerism is discouraged. Get involved in things you like and enjoy - pursue orgs and clubs that are important to you because with the limiteted amount of time available you will be miserable if you overinvolve yourself. Do your best with school and everything will work out.

Gunners are generally not welcomed at our school and gunnerism is discouraged. Get involved in things you like and enjoy - pursue orgs and clubs that are important to you because with the limiteted amount of time available you will be miserable if you overinvolve yourself. Do your best with school and everything will work out.

hey hey, i actually love getting involved and I wouldn't strictly be doing it to "get an edge." I understand that pharmacy school is tough, and I there isn't enough time to do everything. It's hard to do your best at everything when time is so limited. That's why I ask how I should prioritize everything, with more of a perspective on the future. I just don't want to waste my time getting a 4.0 and find out later that it would have been better if I interned during school or participated in more extracurricular activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say don't stress yourself out too much, smile, laugh, keep an open mind, and try to enjoy your pharm school experience. We had people who had a position in every club and they weren't very happy bc they were always super stressed... I say get to know your classmates. Pharmacy will become a big part of your life, you will need friends and people that you can trust to help you... A big part of this professions is the connections that you make... For future retail position, intern and try to even get a corporate internship... Try to join clubs that you like, such as independent pharmacy org where you can learn about opening your own pharmacy... See what you like and go from there....

In addition to getting involved, def try to get an intern position at a hospital or clinic at some point if you can. As for the grades- I went into pharm school thinking that straight A's was my best shot at a top residency and I was super freaked my first semester. I was really stressed, depressed, and had relationship troubles because of everything I was trying to balance. I say, figure out your routine early. Stick to a pretty good schedule and balance study, work, and personal life well. If you find time to work out, do it. Take care of your health!

Also, from the residency directors I have had contact with, they don't necessarily see grades as THE MOST important factor. A lot of "top" residencies and residencies at large academic/teaching hospitals may use a GPA cutoff, but they will look at all your experiences if you meet the minimum criteria. Yes, everyone wants "the whole package" but for many of us, we will have some areas stronger than others. I suggest getting to know faculty and preceptors because they will be the ones writing your LORs. If you can get into a research lab, do it (if you like that sort of thing). It can be really interesting and you get to see a whole other side of pharmacy.

Although you are thinking about retail, you might consider going in with an open mind. You might be exposed to an area of pharmacy you never thought about or never thought you'd like. I have definitely opened my mind a lot more since school started.

A big part of this professions is the connections that you make

This is huge, especially in current/future economy and job market. Yes grades and organizational involvement is important too, but like others have said, don't stretch yourself to thin or over-work yourself by gunning for a 4.0 and officer in 8 organizations. Building relationships with preceptors, faculty and staff is/should be at the top of your "prioritize list" in my opinion. Try your best to keep your grades decent or good (3.0-3.5) and maybe join an organization or two. But make sure you leave an impact in the eyes of those who can "open doors" for you and have the connections to greatly help your future job goals.

Like it or not, life is about who you know and how you can sell/market yourself in the eyes of those with authority and power. I know plenty of 3.8 - 4.0 students with horrible communication and people skills and poor work ethic. Their gpa will likely not save them.

Retail doesn't care about your GPA or activities...

Get intern experience if you want to work retail. That way you may have an "in" with a company.

If you want to do residency (a quality one) then you need to be a complete package.

Get to know your classmates as they will be your support group. Get an internship early. Know your top drugs and how to counsel them. This will help you greatly and help you build confidence.