ABPN exam prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pghael

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been out of training for a few years now and am having difficulties passing the board exam. I’ve worked in different settings post residency, IE outpatient, doing consults and also inpatient. English is my first language so I know that is not a barrier.
I’ve failed the boards the last two times by 2-3 points. Can anyone please provide me with advice on what q banks are beneficial and other board review material.
Thank you so much. Feeling a little defeated right now 😞

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I’ve been out of training for a few years now and am having difficulties passing the board exam. I’ve worked in different settings post residency, IE outpatient, doing consults and also inpatient. English is my first language so I know that is not a barrier.
I’ve failed the boards the last two times by 2-3 points. Can anyone please provide me with advice on what q banks are beneficial and other board review material.
What were your step 1 and 2 scores?

Is anxiety or ADHD an issue? I had to take it three times to pass. First time, I didn't study much because I had done so well on the PRITES. Second time I barely failed. Third time, I spent 4 months studying mostly 6 days a week morning to night. I am guessing you are close to not being BE and would have to take the oral board if you don't pass this time? I would put your ALL into it. Start studying now. Make sure you really know the material cold. If you have ADHD or anxiety that isn't treated, I would do that ASAP. . I was close to having to take the oral boards if I didn't pass , so I really put a ton of effort in my third time (I didn't take it the first year out of residency). I did the Kauffman course in NY (personally didn't find it all that helpful). Did you use beat the boards? If so, you can keep it for free and email Jack and your exam results and he will reply and offer suggestions. I would do BTB for content and do the the practice questions for practice. I did get special accommodations and was able to get double time my third try, I have ADHD (can't tolerate the meds) and severe GAD and they gave me the accommodations for GAD. I am sure that help, but the other thing I did my last time was as many questions as possible. I spared no expense and worked pretty much a day a week for four months, I studied morning until night the other six days a week. I did the questions and read the explanations, any online q bank . Muskin wrote a book about diagnoses and has a q book and I did that, I did a lot of online Q banks too and read the answers in detail . I think practice questions are what got me the pass on my third try. I didn't use it, but the ABPN has a study guide on their site you can buy, I would have bought that if I knew about it in time. Kenny and Spiegel is a must and know it cold.
Do you work at a facility where there is a psych residency or is there a psych residency near you that would let you sit in with their residents for board review sessions? Did you keep in touch with any of your attendings who could help? With my ADHD I study better alone. Maybe a group would help. BTB has some people who do virtual groups. Another nifty thing about BTB is that they have vaults with a lot of quick stuff that is pretty high yield in their vault, you have to dig for it, but it is gold. I was terrified of having to take the oral boards, which is why I studied so hard and so long and spent a small fortune my third try. Honestly, it's a BS exam. For some questions, there was definitely more than one right answer. But not passing it and having the BC closes the door to a lot of jobs. If you want to be BC, I would spend as much time and money as possible. But I can also say some psychiatrists have cash only private practices and aren't BC. There's a stick thread with a lot of helpful information. Some people just needed to read Kenny and Spiegel once or a few times or BTB, that's not enough for you and it wasn't enough for me. I would read that thread. Good luck. I KNOW the feeling of failing and it was horrible. But if I passed, you can pass. By reviewing how you do on a practice test, you may be able to find out if you are not reading the question correctly, or if timing is an issue, or knowledge.................... In BTB Jack said that you need to know the ONE distinguishing factor between two similar diseases and I found that helpful. If the question is asking what the next best step is, the answer is always whatever is needed to keep the patient alive and safe or others safe. I also used the DSM 5 as a resource for criteria and prevalence, most common comorbidities. The one thing that Jack says that I disagree with is to focus on the high yield sections on the ABPN site. Some sections which were supposed to be really high yield and weren't. I would know all psych. I actually ran out of time (despite all the time I spent) and pretty much skipped neuro. I felt that may have been an error because the neuro questions were straightforward but neuro is so vast. You have like three and a half months. Maybe you can't take the next few months off and study, but I would suggest starting now and using most of your free time studying so you can put this behind you. I have always had severe test anxiety and didn't study for any of the COMLEX exams and barely squeaked by. Some of us aren't good standardized test takers. Last piece of advice, try not to worry about how many questions you got wrong or guessed on while you are taking it. I was "SURE" I failed the third time and devastated, and I was surprised I passed and by a big margin. I gave my books away to a psychiatrist who needed them otherwise I would offer them to you. I did use all of the books and courses as a tax deduction.

Hi,

One my attendings in residency used to say the longer out of training, the more book knowledge you lose and this is especially true for the DSM. In practice, you're likely seeing a lot of depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar, and psychotic illnesses. But are you seeing as much tic disorder, parasomnias, paraphelias, communication disorders, autism? These are tested a lot because they want to make sure you know the DSM. Study the DSM and know it like the back of your hand. Then do as many questions as you possibly can. Remember, no one's going to ask you what you treat anxiety with. They're going to expect that you know that. They're going to ask about the most common and most dangerous interactions or side effects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit far past this now but my recollection is that the psych questions were all pretty straightforward for anyone who had had a reasonable amount of exposure to clinical psychiatry, and the tough questions were mostly the neuro ones. I was advised to read the following book in order to prepare for my boards. I did, it worked and I passed. HTH

Amazon product

Neuro has failed numerous test-takers.

For online q bank neuro questions I recommend either Psychiatry Genius (psychiatrygenius.com) or Psychiatry Boards Prep (psychiatryboardsprep.com). Both are strong.

Is anxiety or ADHD an issue? I had to take it three times to pass. First time, I didn't study much because I had done so well on the PRITES. Second time I barely failed. Third time, I spent 4 months studying mostly 6 days a week morning to night. I am guessing you are close to not being BE and would have to take the oral board if you don't pass this time? I would put your ALL into it. Start studying now. Make sure you really know the material cold. If you have ADHD or anxiety that isn't treated, I would do that ASAP. . I was close to having to take the oral boards if I didn't pass , so I really put a ton of effort in my third time (I didn't take it the first year out of residency). I did the Kauffman course in NY (personally didn't find it all that helpful). Did you use beat the boards? If so, you can keep it for free and email Jack and your exam results and he will reply and offer suggestions. I would do BTB for content and do the the practice questions for practice. I did get special accommodations and was able to get double time my third try, I have ADHD (can't tolerate the meds) and severe GAD and they gave me the accommodations for GAD. I am sure that help, but the other thing I did my last time was as many questions as possible. I spared no expense and worked pretty much a day a week for four months, I studied morning until night the other six days a week. I did the questions and read the explanations, any online q bank . Muskin wrote a book about diagnoses and has a q book and I did that, I did a lot of online Q banks too and read the answers in detail . I think practice questions are what got me the pass on my third try. I didn't use it, but the ABPN has a study guide on their site you can buy, I would have bought that if I knew about it in time. Kenny and Spiegel is a must and know it cold.
Do you work at a facility where there is a psych residency or is there a psych residency near you that would let you sit in with their residents for board review sessions? Did you keep in touch with any of your attendings who could help? With my ADHD I study better alone. Maybe a group would help. BTB has some people who do virtual groups. Another nifty thing about BTB is that they have vaults with a lot of quick stuff that is pretty high yield in their vault, you have to dig for it, but it is gold. I was terrified of having to take the oral boards, which is why I studied so hard and so long and spent a small fortune my third try. Honestly, it's a BS exam. For some questions, there was definitely more than one right answer. But not passing it and having the BC closes the door to a lot of jobs. If you want to be BC, I would spend as much time and money as possible. But I can also say some psychiatrists have cash only private practices and aren't BC. There's a stick thread with a lot of helpful information. Some people just needed to read Kenny and Spiegel once or a few times or BTB, that's not enough for you and it wasn't enough for me. I would read that thread. Good luck. I KNOW the feeling of failing and it was horrible. But if I passed, you can pass. By reviewing how you do on a practice test, you may be able to find out if you are not reading the question correctly, or if timing is an issue, or knowledge.................... In BTB Jack said that you need to know the ONE distinguishing factor between two similar diseases and I found that helpful. If the question is asking what the next best step is, the answer is always whatever is needed to keep the patient alive and safe or others safe. I also used the DSM 5 as a resource for criteria and prevalence, most common comorbidities. The one thing that Jack says that I disagree with is to focus on the high yield sections on the ABPN site. Some sections which were supposed to be really high yield and weren't. I would know all psych. I actually ran out of time (despite all the time I spent) and pretty much skipped neuro. I felt that may have been an error because the neuro questions were straightforward but neuro is so vast. You have like three and a half months. Maybe you can't take the next few months off and study, but I would suggest starting now and using most of your free time studying so you can put this behind you. I have always had severe test anxiety and didn't study for any of the COMLEX exams and barely squeaked by. Some of us aren't good standardized test takers. Last piece of advice, try not to worry about how many questions you got wrong or guessed on while you are taking it. I was "SURE" I failed the third time and devastated, and I was surprised I passed and by a big margin. I gave my books away to a psychiatrist who needed them otherwise I would offer them to you. I did use all of the books and courses as a tax deduction.

Thank you so much for your insightful feedback to my post. I too have failed the ABPN exam a few times with the last time missing the passing score by two points- which was of course heartbreaking.
Up to date, I have done Kenny and Spiegel, beat the boards, boards vitals and I am currently using true learn q back. I found it to be more detail oriented compared to the other q banks.
I’ve realized my knowledge is on par, however, it does not seem to translate to standardized exams.
I’ve taken the measure of initiating a stimulant to help improve my focus and work on time management as I’ve have had difficulties with such standardized exams in the past.
After reading your post it gave me inspiration and hope that I will finally be able to get to the other side.
your advice is very thoughtful and highly appreciated.
Given the time frame I have (approximately 3 months) is there anything else that you would recommend?
Also, as mentioned, I’ve struggled with time management on exams in the past. How were you able to obtain special accommodations?

thank you so much for your time and advice!

Best

I have diagnosed ADHD and GAD. I had my psychiatrist write a letter to the ABPN and I had to write a letter as well. They are really specific in what they want and didn't give it to me for ADHD because my psychiatrist isn't BC, but did for GAD. I didn't need extra time, but I couldn't sit there for nine or ten hours. I will say the down side to taking it over 2 days is that I had so much time to sit and stew about how many I got wrong on the first day, I almost didn't go back on the second day to finish. I don't know if you have a condition for which they would give you special accommoations, and I dont know if the deadline to apply has passed. It's unfortunate that they dont let you see the exam after so you can't see what you got wrong and how you can improve. Being that you didn't pass, I would shoot Jack an email and express your concerns and see if he has any suggestions. When you say you had time management problems, did you have to guess on a few questions each block because you were out of time, a ton of questions, or was it that you didn't have time to go back and review? I didn't use the extra time, I finished day one in half the time but I got to go home. You are SO close to passing. I would agree with knowing the less common disorders well and finding new q banks, try the book by Muskin as well as the one they sell on the ABPN site and any other practice questions you can fine. Take the practice tests under real time conditions and see if you can speed it up enough to not run out of time. To repeat, I would email Jack from BTB with a copy of your exam results and your concerns about running out of time to see if he has any suggestions. As you know from having taken more than one exam, don't expect the test this fall to be like the prior ones you have taken. (That was my mistake the second time I took the exam, I studied for the exam I took the first year). The book from Muskin was really good about distinguishing one disorder from a similar one. You were super close to passing, you can pass. I don't have any other advice. I know this exam is awful. Good luck.

With being so close to passing, I would recommend a different approach. First, if you do BTB they give you a good breakdown of where you are missing questions. If you have a particular weak area, work on it. After that I would go after the 7 major areas. Make sure you got that down. Probably get your points there to pass. Neurology as far my exam did not cover as much as I thought it would. Mainly where in the brain is affected.

With being so close to passing, I would recommend a different approach. First, if you do BTB they give you a good breakdown of where you are missing questions. If you have a particular weak area, work on it. After that I would go after the 7 major areas. Make sure you got that down. Probably get your points there to pass. Neurology as far my exam did not cover as much as I thought it would. Mainly where in the brain is affected.
This year's exam was difficult. I found the video vignettes to be very subjective. I did beat the boards and MyPsychBoard. I hope I do not need to retake the test!

Many of the questions I had on my April 2021 recertification for combined child and general psyc were DIRECTLY from PRITE exams I had from my training days. They also use the 10 year reviews from the child orange journal . I used the book Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists, Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy and the DSM.

It was really odd this time as the test was extremely hard as compared to my recert 10 years ago. I felt many questions had multiple correct answers.
They gave the option to delay a year without impacting board status due to covid, but I felt ready so went ahead. I think I studied for about a month, but have never had issues with standardized tests.

I believe PRITE is a good prep source. The Amerian College of Psychiatrists (the same people who create PRITE) offer something called PIPE exam which is also good. I also did this new source named Mypsychboard which is very good. This expensive exam is too costly to fail!!

Last edited: