Absolutely Horrible Day..Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IFailatLife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am a freshman. I started off at FSU, and while I did well academically with all A's and B's, I absolutely hated the school and needed to change. So I transfered at the semester.

So, this semester I take bio. I walk into my lab this week and the teacher tells me that I have missed 3 weeks in a row. I said "are you kidding me?"

I knew I had missed one week because I overslept. If you miss 2, you fail the lab (which is not a separate grade from Bio at my school)

But other than that, I had NO clue what she was talking about. She pulled out the attendance sheets and indeed, I hadn't signed it two weeks in a row. the 2nd time was because I really did miss class, but the first time was because I thought we could just leave after the exam (which we take in lab) when in fact we couldn't. So they marked me down as absent, even though I have my exam grade in the computer system.

So, in all, I had a solid B+/A in this class. the lab is worth 22% of my grade. this will kick me to a D. I am going to see the professor tomorrow to explain my situation but I am not expecting her to grant me any leniency.

I am a microbiology major, so I will have plenty of science classes. But this will really, really screw up my GPA. So, what I am really asking is, did I put myself in a situation where I should really evaluate whether I should do something else besides med school? Or, is it early enough that I can correct the mistake as long as I get excellent grades?

I don't want to put myself in a situation where I don't get into med school, and then end up going to grad school until I get in. I just don't want that, I want to move on with my life and start a career. And, while I have wanted to be a doctor since I was in 11th grade, I have developed other interests that I would not mind doing.

I'm just looking for honest opinions. I should get an A,B,D this semester now. God I feel sick to my stomach.

I appreciate the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

You can still recover, and I would bet the professor might give you some leniency, just make sure you dont miss anymore.

Ok, so I am a freshman. I started off at FSU, and while I did well academically with all A's and B's, I absolutely hated the school and needed to change. So I transfered at the semester.

So, this semester I take bio. I walk into my lab this week and the teacher tells me that I have missed 3 weeks in a row. I said "are you kidding me?"

I knew I had missed one week because I overslept. If you miss 2, you fail the lab (which is not a separate grade from Bio at my school)

But other than that, I had NO clue what she was talking about. She pulled out the attendance sheets and indeed, I hadn't signed it two weeks in a row. the 2nd time was because I really did miss class, but the first time was because I thought we could just leave after the exam (which we take in lab) when in fact we couldn't. So they marked me down as absent, even though I have my exam grade in the computer system.

So, in all, I had a solid B+/A in this class. the lab is worth 22% of my grade. this will kick me to a D. I am going to see the professor tomorrow to explain my situation but I am not expecting her to grant me any leniency.

I am a microbiology major, so I will have plenty of science classes. But this will really, really screw up my GPA. So, what I am really asking is, did I put myself in a situation where I should really evaluate whether I should do something else besides med school? Or, is it early enough that I can correct the mistake as long as I get excellent grades?

I don't want to put myself in a situation where I don't get into med school, and then end up going to grad school until I get in. I just don't want that, I want to move on with my life and start a career. And, while I have wanted to be a doctor since I was in 11th grade, I have developed other interests that I would not mind doing.

I'm just looking for honest opinions. I should get an A,B,D this semester now. God I feel sick to my stomach.

One D will not destroy you. You can also retake this class and hopefully average it out with an A. Rock your other classes and you'll be fine. Tons of people have gotten in with a D on their transcript

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys...some much needed words of encouragement.

offer to make up the classes on your own time or take an extra lab exam, put in extra hours or whatever. show the professor you are dedicated to the course and explain that since you transfered you werent adjusted yet to your new life but that you are willing to go the extra mile now to learn the material (try not to focus solely on the grade). unless the professor is unreasonable, you should be allright. i hate days like that though.

Why did the instructor say you missed it three times if technically it was only 2? Aside from that, it's good that you are going in to talk with the professor. I think it's fair to explain about the exam day and that you forgot to sign the sheet. Hopefully they'll give you leniency. Just be nice and humble and explain what happened.

You are beating yourself up too much. "IFailAtLife" is a pretty strong screenname. You *might* get one bad grade in a class. You're only a freshman so you have 3+ years left to bring that GPA up if you so desire. Also, one D doesn't mean someone should give up on med school as their goal either. It's good that there are other things that interest you too. Be sure to pursue both medical-related and your other interests while you're in college because now's the time to try stuff out! Then you can make a more informed decision in a few years about what you think you'd like to do going forward.

Like I said, you're beating yourself up enough already. I don't want to do that, but I do want to point that you should just focus a little more on the little stuff you need to do that will make your life easier and less stressful. Don't oversleep for classes/labs where attendance is mandatory. Set two alarm clocks or go to sleep earlier if need be. And don't leave after an activity in a lab from now on unless you check with the instructor first that it's ok to leave. Sign that attendance sheet!

:luck:

Why did the instructor say you missed it three times if technically it was only 2? Aside from that, it's good that you are going in to talk with the professor. I think it's fair to explain about the exam day and that you forgot to sign the sheet. Hopefully they'll give you leniency. Just be nice and humble and explain what happened.

You are beating yourself up too much. "IFailAtLife" is a pretty strong screenname. You *might* get one bad grade in a class. You're only a freshman so you have 3+ years left to bring that GPA up if you so desire. Also, one D doesn't mean someone should give up on med school as their goal either. It's good that there are other things that interest you too. Be sure to pursue both medical-related and your other interests while you're in college because now's the time to try stuff out! Then you can make a more informed decision in a few years about what you think you'd like to do going forward.

Like I sais, you're beating yourself up enough already. I don't want to do that, but I do want to point that you should just focus a little more on the little stuff you need to do that will make your life easier and less stressful. Don't oversleep for classes/labs where attendance is mandatory. Set two alarm clocks or go to sleep earlier if need be. And don't leave after an activity in a lab from now on unless you check with the instructor first that it's ok to leave. Sign that attendance sheet!

:luck:

I don't know why she said that. Its kind of bizzarre to me, because out of no where started acting like I h ad this massive attendance problem. She handed back an extra credit assignment, and I didn't fill out one of the questions. She said "I bet you left early again" in regards to me not "finishing" it and I just kind of grilled her.

Anyway, yep, I've certainly learned my lesson in regards to this stuff. Just a really ****ty feeling when you put in a decent amount of work and expect to get an A.

Talk to the professor. Explain that you did attend the class but misunderstood about staying put after the exam.

If, other than the absence scare, you have been doing well in the class, the chances are that the prof will be happy to play the "good guy" and pardon your mistake. Your own attitude is likely to play a big part in how this works out. They are much more likely to give you the benefit of a doubt if you are either asking for help or humbly apologizing for your mistake. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder, they tend to be much less inclined to work with you.

Things are likely to work out better than you expected when you got that first shock.

As for your other question - No. It's not a good reason to give up on a dream.

Yeah, you can recover if you work at it. Plus since it was freshman year, you can chalk it up to immaturity during your interviews. A strong upward trend will be your best friend during the application cycle.

Yeah, I echo everything that's been said. Show the professor that you really do care about the class, that you're sorry about your absences, and that you're eager to do extra work to make up for those absences. If the professor doesn't give you any leniency, you might want to consider talking to the department head or an academic dean to get another opinion about the situation. Explain what happened, refraining from badmouthing the professor, and ask the dept head/dean what he/she would advise you to do.

Remember that you're paying a ****ton of money for school. If your professor doesn't listen, then appeal to the department head, then the dean if necessary. If that doesn't work, get your parents to pay them an ugly visit. Eventually they will just give you what you want because they are sick of dealing with you and know that you're in the right. Fight it.

I don't know why she said that. Its kind of bizzarre to me, because out of no where started acting like I h ad this massive attendance problem. She handed back an extra credit assignment, and I didn't fill out one of the questions. She said "I bet you left early again" in regards to me not "finishing" it and I just kind of grilled her.

Anyway, yep, I've certainly learned my lesson in regards to this stuff. Just a really ****ty feeling when you put in a decent amount of work and expect to get an A.

She sounds like a b!tch. Sucks that you can't choose your TA's :\

She sounds like a b!tch. Sucks that you can't choose your TA's :\

Yep, this really got me heated. On one of my lab reports, my hypothesis turned out to be wrong. She took off points, and wrote that if I had changed my hypothesis, it would be right. Now, I don't have a degree in science, but I think it's pretty silly that when I get my hypothesis that I used DURING a lab wrong, she takes off points. I mean, isn't that the whole deal? To TEST it? I'm not sure if it's right, and changing it when I get it wrong, WITHOUT doing a new experiment? Sounds fishy to me.

Anyway, I am going to go to the professor and tell her that I have a problem. Im going to say that I did indeed miss a class, and that was totally my fault. However, I got marked absent for missing a class that I did attend, because I did not properly understand that we were supposed to stay. I had no malicious intent and would not willingly walk out of a class if I knew it could hurt my grade. But, I worked hard in this class and I don't think that my grade should be ruined because of a misunderstanding.

lol, that was my practice speech.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement; it helps a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you took the test is proof that you were there. If she claims thats not good enough, go to your academic adviser, that's their job.

Talking to the professor is an excellent idea. Ultimately she gets to determine your grade, not the TA. Just present your case in a very polite and mature fashion. Give potential solutions to the problem (like people mentioned above). Don't say anything negative about the TA (even if you have good reason to). Just state the case and your explanations. The professor likely respects the TA and could even be her advisor. You don't want to raise hackles unnecessarily.

Edit: At first I thought it meant you overslept every day for a week. Then I realized that you have lab once a week.

Talking to the professor is an excellent idea. Ultimately she gets to determine your grade, not the TA. Just present your case in a very polite and mature fashion. Give potential solutions to the problem (like people mentioned above). Don't say anything negative about the TA (even if you have good reason to). Just state the case and your explanations. The professor likely respects the TA and could even be her advisor. You don't want to raise hackles unnecessarily.
I think that's the most important thing...don't say anything negative about the TA!
Either way, one D won't hurt you.

I think that's the most important thing...don't say anything negative about the TA!
Either way, one D won't hurt you.

Yeah, I am not about to trash the TA even though she is completely clueless. I told her during class that I understand and that there is nothing she can do; she is just going by the rules and I was very respectful. But wow, she is a ****.

Yeah, I am not about to trash the TA even though she is completely clueless. I told her during class that I understand and that there is nothing she can do; she is just going by the rules and I was very respectful. But wow, she is a ****.
You just trashed her in that reply. Im confused?

First thing, talk to the professor and I am sure that you will be able to work something out.

If everything else fails, IMMEDIATELY start working on a grade appeal. The appeals committee will almost always hear a student's case. Get everything you need together, including any points, papers, tests, etc. for documentation that you deserve a higher grade. The syllabus is one of your best friends. If it clearly states that you can miss so many labs and still pass, and you have significant proof (i.e. the exam) that you were there for the required amount of labs, then you will be in very good shape. Folks who are scared to use the grade appeal process really should not. It is a lot easier to get a grade overturned, as the committee is almost always open-ended towards the student.

I had a close call last semester with some points. I thought I had enough to get an A and the professor though otherwise. Talked to an advisor about it and they said appeal, period. If nothing else, the committee rejects it and you are were you were to begin with. I started the appeal process, the prof didn't want to deal with it, and overturned my grade.

Its only your freshman year so you have a long time to bring up your GPA. An upward trend is good. Also do well in all the other classes and rock the MCAT.

Good luck!
DD

Sometimes, knowing you are in trouble will make you work all that much harder. If you feel your chances are slipping away with a D, then you will be driven to get solid A's in everything else. So you could end up just fine and then explain the single D away in your personal statement.

I said "are you kidding me?"

must have been really sleepy

I knew I had missed one week because I overslept. If you miss 2, you fail the lab (which is not a separate grade from Bio at my school).

" i didn't sleep for seven days... cuz that would be too long."
- mitch hedberg

:sleep:

The fact that you took the test is proof that you were there. If she claims thats not good enough, go to your academic adviser, that's their job.

I would agree. Collect evidence that you were there on the other days, so if she denies your initial request for leniency, you can present that as proof that you were there.

Yep, this really got me heated. On one of my lab reports, my hypothesis turned out to be wrong. She took off points, and wrote that if I had changed my hypothesis, it would be right. Now, I don't have a degree in science, but I think it's pretty silly that when I get my hypothesis that I used DURING a lab wrong, she takes off points. I mean, isn't that the whole deal? To TEST it? I'm not sure if it's right, and changing it when I get it wrong, WITHOUT doing a new experiment? Sounds fishy to me.

Um, yeah. While you may fail at life, she fails at the scientific method ;-)

You have a grade for the exam. Obviously you were there. Hopefully the professor's not a total tool. Apologize for missing the other class that you did oversleep for. Don't try to explain it, just a generic 'I did miss one class, I apologize, but I didn't miss class on the exam day, so I only have 1 absence' should suffice. Find out why the TA thinks you missed THREE days in a row. Good luck.