absorption and wavelength/frequency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so just to clarify stuff, like in a beer lambert law graph, the intensity or absorption we want has nothign to do with frequency right? like a lower frequency (E=hf) will not absorb more light making the amplitude of the peak on the beer lambert law graph higher? energy and absorption/intensity are not directly related here right?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so just to clarify stuff, like in a beer lambert law graph, the intensity or absorption we want has nothign to do with frequency right? like a lower frequency (E=hf) will not absorb more light making the amplitude of the peak on the beer lambert law graph higher? energy and absorption/intensity are not directly related here right?

thanks!

Intensity is related to the amplitude and frequency of the light. But in regards to the beer lambert law it relates the concentration of a sample to its absorption. At least this is the case for the lab I work in.

what is ε

I rearrange so ε = A/lc

we can see that c (wavelength in cm) is inversely proportional to molar absorptivity (ε)

therefore, a larger wavelength (a lower frequency) will absolutely give us a smaller ε

since A is directly related to ε

low frequency, less absorption
high frequency, high absorption.

If my math or logic is wrong here, please correct me.

c is not wavelength, its the concentration. Unless I'm confusing the equation with something else.And ε is a constant at a certain wavelength for your sample.

Edit: The more concentrated your sample is the higher the absorbance will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
c is not wavelength, its the concentration. Unless I'm confusing the equation with something else.And ε is a constant at a certain wavelength for your sample.

Edit: The more concentrated your sample is the higher the absorbance will be.

yeah and i get all that but so... my question is is absorbance ever related to frequency of the a specific photon... like will 350 hz give me a greater absorbance than say 100 hz if they both have the same concnetration, same little cubicle they are in for the spec, etc.?

yeah and i get all that but so... my question is is absorbance ever related to frequency of the a specific photon... like will 350 hz give me a greater absorbance than say 100 hz if they both have the same concnetration, same little cubicle they are in for the spec, etc.?

I honestly don't know. I think your going outside the scope of the MCAT but I would assume with a higher frequency you shouldn't have change in the absorbance because frequency and therefore intensity of light does not impact absorbance according to the equation.