Abstracts on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dox4lyfe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through all of the old threads on this topic on sdn and reddit and I'm still confused.

If I submit an abstract to a conference and it's accepted and I go and present at that conference, I list this as a poster and or oral presentation.

Then what exactly do I list under the "abstract" section. Is this only for abstracts that select conferences actually publish into associated journals or what? Doesn't that mean I'd have the same thing listed twice on my cv (once as a published abstract and then as a presentation)?

Members don't see this ad.

If I am the presenting author, I put under "Presentations and Posters."

If I am a co-author but not the presenting author, I put under "Abstracts (not presented)."

I do not list the same publication twice.

Reactions: 2 users
Practices vary, but if the abstract is published in a journal, I put it under “published abstracts.” That way the DOI is there with the full citation info so they can look it up if they want. If your first author, it’s essentially assumed you were the presenter. If it’s not published but I presented, I put it under “poster presentations (not accompanied by published abstract).” Then I have a third section for “invited talks and podium presentations”

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @SeitenKishi, never list a publication twice.

I have a “Publications” section for peer-reviewed published manuscripts, and a “presentations” section for oral, quick-shot, and poster presentations. Most of the “abstracts” fall into the latter section.

In my opinion, if using this format that I’ve outlined, having a separate “abstracts” section would be too repetitious.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a section called “Selected Abstracts” and then subsections: “non-oral poster” and “oral presentation”

Is this only for oral presentations you specifically did? What if you are on an abstract that was an oral presentation by a colleague

I don’t list those but only because *pompous tone* I’ve done so many. I think it is fine to list it under oral presentation if you did not do the actual podium talk. Points for doing the study and getting accepted not for actually saying the words, especially because many times there may be scheduling conflicts preventing people from going to the meeting. Other people may feel differently.

I put my published abstracts in my publication section but I also only have 2 published abstracts. They were published in journals and if you search my name on pubmed you'd find them. I asked my admin how to do it and they said it was ok to put it like this.

Agree with @SeitenKishi, never list a publication twice.

I have a “Publications” section for peer-reviewed published manuscripts, and a “presentations” section for oral, quick-shot, and poster presentations. Most of the “abstracts” fall into the latter section.

In my opinion, if using this format that I’ve outlined, having a separate “abstracts” section would be too repetitious.
So what do you do in the case of an abstract that you present and that gets published in a journal?

So what do you do in the case of an abstract that you present and that gets published in a journal?

I would put the journal publication under “publications,” and the presented abstract under “presentations.”

Many abstracts are published in journals in the supplemental section. However, these are not full manuscripts, and I do not put them under journal "publications." If you later write a full manuscript that gets published, put that under "publications," and put the associated abstract under "presentations" (I believe this is what @OnePunchBiopsy referred to above).

Many abstracts are published in journals in the supplemental section. However, these are not full manuscripts, and I do not put them under journal "publications." If you later write a full manuscript that gets published, put that under "publications," and put the associated abstract under "presentations" (I believe this is what @OnePunchBiopsy referred to above).
This makes sense. Thank you both!

This was for sure an annoying thing trying to figure out and there’s no “right answer” but it definitely seems that the consensus for the wrong answer is listing these off multiple times and essentially double dipping.

I list mine in a section called “abstracts” with associated DOI and journal (if in supplemental) as well as my name bolder/underlined in the author list. If it was presented I also write poster presentation in bold and underline that way people know that I was the one to present it.

What if you present the same abstract at different conferences? Like state conference + national conference

What if you present the same abstract at different conferences? Like state conference + national conference
Just list the more important conference. Abstracts are pretty small academic potatoes. They don’t really count towards academic promotion and having them on your cv is unlikely to generate anything more than a talking point during interviews

Reactions: 1 users