Academic Adv LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buomyta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attended courses at different colleges, different states, different times in career. Difficult to obtain science premed LOR b/c of the absence of time, teachers retired, professors may think I'm being disloyal to current profession by not pursuing masters.

1. Thinking about taking class this summer to obtain science lor. Is it silly.

2. Anyone with obstacles when obtaining academic references.

3. Science gpa only 3.2, Accum gpa 3.0. I'm afraid they won't bat for me.

Mini Bio: Prior Active Duty Air Force Medic for 6 years, Critical Care Registered Nurse 7 years, NC resident, shadowed a DO , looking to shadow more after April MCAT.

4. Critique me. Want feedback + or - on current stats. thx

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will have an uphill battle. Have you built a relationship with any of your professors? If you haven't, then I would say,.... yes, you should take a summer course to get a rec. Are you applying in this summer, though?

Obviously, you should get a recommendation from where you worked, especially since it is in health care. You will need a letter from the DO you shadowed, But then you will still need 2-3 profs to give you one about how you did as a student. So would you be taking one summer class or two?

YOur GPA is a bit low. But it is still possible. Do a great job on your MCAT in April. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the gpa - just get at least in the high 20s on the MCAT.

Hi

1. I think you should take the class(es) to get LOR(s)
2. No real obstacles for me but I haven't been out of school as long as you have.
3. GPA low but still do-able

GO FOR IT!! Just aim to do really well on your MCAT and although some schools say they want a DO letter, I didnt get any and I still got accepted. Some will make-do with a letter from an employer or MD. You obviously have alot of health experience so that should count for something.