• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Academic Adv LOR

buomyta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
NC
Attended courses at different colleges, different states, different times in career. Difficult to obtain science premed LOR b/c of the absence of time, teachers retired, professors may think I'm being disloyal to current profession by not pursuing masters.

1. Thinking about taking class this summer to obtain science lor. Is it silly.

2. Anyone with obstacles when obtaining academic references.

3. Science gpa only 3.2, Accum gpa 3.0. I'm afraid they won't bat for me.

Mini Bio: Prior Active Duty Air Force Medic for 6 years, Critical Care Registered Nurse 7 years, NC resident, shadowed a DO , looking to shadow more after April MCAT.

4. Critique me. Want feedback + or - on current stats. thx

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think you will have an uphill battle. Have you built a relationship with any of your professors? If you haven't, then I would say,.... yes, you should take a summer course to get a rec. Are you applying in this summer, though?

Obviously, you should get a recommendation from where you worked, especially since it is in health care. You will need a letter from the DO you shadowed, But then you will still need 2-3 profs to give you one about how you did as a student. So would you be taking one summer class or two?

YOur GPA is a bit low. But it is still possible. Do a great job on your MCAT in April. Good luck.

adelarin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Houston, New Orleans
Hi

1. I think you should take the class(es) to get LOR(s)
2. No real obstacles for me but I haven't been out of school as long as you have.
3. GPA low but still do-able

GO FOR IT!! Just aim to do really well on your MCAT and although some schools say they want a DO letter, I didnt get any and I still got accepted. Some will make-do with a letter from an employer or MD. You obviously have alot of health experience so that should count for something.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.