Academic background for MPH???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaidyaKumari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello.

i am new in this forum.Can any one help me in telling does MPH program requires a specific academic background? Or juss people from different backgrounds can also apply??

Pls help.

Members don't see this ad.

MPH programs are pretty diverse because of the different concentrations you can choose, so academic backgrounds of entering students seem to vary. For instance, epi/biostat students may have more of a background in math or science, while health management students may have more of a business background. I think the more important consideration is that you have at least some experience in public health and/or a solid personal statement detailing why you are interested in the field.

Thank you, bbas. Yes, i do have some public health work experience while i was in my undergraduate school in India. As i am now thinking of applying for this program ,my only worry is Biostatics, as its been a long time since my 12th grade that i have no touch with the Math...so...i was wondering if you can guide me over that and as the program includes the 5 core courses.,can some one help me in telling how the nature of course work is??? Is some one currently enrolled in this program? plz help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, bbas. Yes, i do have some public health work experience while i was in my undergraduate school in India. As i am now thinking of applying for this program ,my only worry is Biostatics, as its been a long time since my 12th grade that i have no touch with the Math...so...i was wondering if you can guide me over that and as the program includes the 5 core courses.,can some one help me in telling how the nature of course work is??? Is some one currently enrolled in this program? plz help me.

I will be starting my program in a few weeks, so can't comment in much detail on the specific courses. As far as the math, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. You will be taught all you need to know, so at worst you may just need to spend some additional time on the subject as compared to your peers who may have more of a background in math.

both biostats and epidemiology involve math. as you say, they're core courses, so you'll have to get through them. depending on your area of emphasis, you may have multiple courses in these areas. the difficulty/nature of each course will vary a lot by school, instructor, your background, etc, so that's a bit difficult to address, just know that the courses are ahead of you