Academic dishonesty Freshmen year. Getting blamed for something I did not do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Never mind. Friends case resolved.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the TA is a racist because I am from India. He acts nicely to everyone but me.
Im sorry but you cannot assume anything of anyone. If you really are innocent take infront of the board. But from now on you have to learn to cover your A $ $.

Members don't see this ad :)
Identify the persons who borrowed your test to the administrative official you go to for help. I recommend you fight this, as you do not want academic dishonesty on your record if you wish to get into medical school.

Hey everyone, please follow this story. Sorry for the length.

Three weeks ago I got my first test back and the scantron with a satisfying grade of a 87. But since the scantron did not have any mark, everyone was comparing their answers with each other to see which once they missed. I was not participating. But after a few minutes somebody asked me if they could look at my test. So I handed them my scantron and the test. Then I went to the restroom, came back, and got my test back. After the class the TA said students could come to his office to know about the missed questions. So I went to his office immediately after the class. When we were halfway through the test, we found two answers that did not match with the computer. In other words, my scantron said, A and B but the computer said the scantron said B and C when it was scanned. The TA became suspicious and took my test from me and told me to go to the professor and talk to her about it. So I made an appointment with her the next day. So when I went home, I thought about what had happened with the scantron and I realized that someone had probably changed my answers, probably those kids who I handed my scantron to before going to the restroom. So I decided that I will mention this to the professor. BUT, the TA sent my scantron for a regrade without my permission. So when I went to the professor, she told me the scantron answers were changed and it would be considered as ACADEMIC DISHONESTY.
It gets interesting.....
I explain her everything, I mention that I had given the scantron to some kids, etc. So she decides to go to the Student Judicial Services to seek some advice. But after one and a half weeks, she was DROPPED from the class for her terrible way of teaching the course material.
So a new professor steps in and after a week of silence, the TA tells the new professor that he, the previous professor, and I had decided on a ZERO on the exam but it was never made official.
But the thing is, the previous professor and I never came to a decision. Now I have become suspicious about this TA because this is tecnically a Lie. Also, before he sent it for a regrade, I asked him if there were any more suspicious answers and he said he had looked over the test and had found only two. BUT when the test came back after the regrading, the professor told me there were three suspicious answers, meaning three answers that were changed. But the TA said two to me.
Now the new professor thinks I am a big cheater and has given me two options, either take a reduced grade of a 77 or pass it to the University Judicial Services. She said she could not give me a 0 because she was not there when this happened. Now if I take that 77, I will have to sign a form, which will be create a Scolastic Dishonesty folder, and the folder will be kept for 5 years.
I think the TA is a racist because I am from India. He acts nicely to everyone but me.

What should I do, take the grade or go to the Judicial Services? If a record forms, what are my possibilities of getting into an American medical school?

Crazy situation. It seems really odd that these people would change your answers for no reason, and that you would leave your test with complete strangers. The whole situation, I'm sorry, would sound fishy from an administrative perspective ... and the situation with changing professors, weirdness from the TA - I highly doubt he/she is discriminating against you because you're from India - doesn't help make the situation any clearer or you look any more innocent from a 3rd party perspective. I'd fight this to avoid the dishonest record (death sentence) or just try to cut my losses and get out of the class or something.

i would....
1. Go to the professor, see if you can get the other kids to admitting to changing your answers
2. Go to the department head / TA's boss and raise hell
3. Go through the student judicial process to get stuff figured out
4. Get a real lawyer and see what can be done (for racism/ discrimination)

getting some professional advice would be the way to approach this situation.

Hey everyone, please follow this story. Sorry for the length.

Three weeks ago I got my first test back and the scantron with a satisfying grade of a 87. But since the scantron did not have any mark, everyone was comparing their answers with each other to see which once they missed. I was not participating. But after a few minutes somebody asked me if they could look at my test. So I handed them my scantron and the test. Then I went to the restroom, came back, and got my test back. After the class the TA said students could come to his office to know about the missed questions. So I went to his office immediately after the class. When we were halfway through the test, we found two answers that did not match with the computer. In other words, my scantron said, A and B but the computer said the scantron said B and C when it was scanned. The TA became suspicious and took my test from me and told me to go to the professor and talk to her about it. So I made an appointment with her the next day. So when I went home, I thought about what had happened with the scantron and I realized that someone had probably changed my answers, probably those kids who I handed my scantron to before going to the restroom. So I decided that I will mention this to the professor. BUT, the TA sent my scantron for a regrade without my permission. So when I went to the professor, she told me the scantron answers were changed and it would be considered as ACADEMIC DISHONESTY.
It gets interesting.....
I explain her everything, I mention that I had given the scantron to some kids, etc. So she decides to go to the Student Judicial Services to seek some advice. But after one and a half weeks, she was DROPPED from the class for her terrible way of teaching the course material.
So a new professor steps in and after a week of silence, the TA tells the new professor that he, the previous professor, and I had decided on a ZERO on the exam but it was never made official.
But the thing is, the previous professor and I never came to a decision. Now I have become suspicious about this TA because this is tecnically a Lie. Also, before he sent it for a regrade, I asked him if there were any more suspicious answers and he said he had looked over the test and had found only two. BUT when the test came back after the regrading, the professor told me there were three suspicious answers, meaning three answers that were changed. But the TA said two to me.
Now the new professor thinks I am a big cheater and has given me two options, either take a reduced grade of a 77 or pass it to the University Judicial Services. She said she could not give me a 0 because she was not there when this happened. Now if I take that 77, I will have to sign a form, which will be create a Scolastic Dishonesty folder, and the folder will be kept for 5 years.

What should I do, take the grade or go to the Judicial Services? If a record forms, what are my possibilities of getting into an American medical school?

I would rather have an "F" than academic dishonesty when applying to medical school.
Go to the judicial services and set the record straight. I think they have other students on the committee so there is a good chance that if you explain the complicated nature of this situation that they will understand.

Have you confronted the other students who changed your scantron?
Tell them to confess or you will turn them in!

Yea i would not take the academic honesty thing, because you are going to have a VERY hard time with that. Even if you do manage to get into medical school, it is going to be much harden and there is no reason to have additional burden. I would fight this, you are clearly innocent, and def confront those students who borrowed your test. God the things that some people will do.....And ask the new professor to get in touch with the old professor and to prove that you are innocent.

A completely unbelieveable story.

Only an idiot would give their exam to someone else - a stranger - and then leave the room.

There are certainly a lot of unbelievable elements to the story! Why would the OP be permitted to leave the room for a bathroom break without handing his scantron back in, for one?

I serve on the judicial panel for my school, and I've seen so many cases like this smelling too foul of BS. OP, if you do decide to take it to the judicial panel, I highly recommend just apologizing like crazy and asking that the panel not ruin your life. That you learned from your mistake and you will be a better person. Ask for a sanction like an "ethics course" or something. Trying to outsmart a panel may occasionally work, but if it doesn't, the panel just gets pissed and will give you a far harsher sanction.

If by chance you are telling the truth, you need to provide some solid evidence (names, times, or even credible witnesses if possible, like a professor in the bathroom), because that story--sorry to say--simply won't fly.

IF YOU DID NOT COMMIT THE MURDER

DO NOT ADMIT TO THE CRIME!

IF YOU DID NOT CHEAT

DO NOT ADMIT TO CHEATING!

Simple as that my friend.

Why admit to something that is not your fault? I ask you this question: would you admit to a felony? Stealing? Murder? Arson? If you didn't even do any of that?

Answer is NO.

Keep living your life and doing well in school. But fight this and keep fighting until you win.

That said I also agree with this poster:

A completely unbelieveable story.

Only an idiot would give their exam to someone else - a stranger - and then leave the room.

Cheers.

I also have trouble believing this entire story. Unfortunately, I think this is a lose-lose situation for you, OP: either you're making this up, or you really got hosed by some hateful, cut-throat competitive pre-med. Regardless, if an acedemic judicial committee finds you guilty of this, regardless of what the sanction is, you will certainly find it much harder to get into med school with the mark of "academic dishonesty" on your record.

If you're innocent, you've got to find some facts to back up your story.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. When was the grade on your exam recorded, was it before or after you met the TA? If it was recorded before you met with the TA then your TA and your last professor are crazy. You are allowed to change your answers during a test. Now, if this is not the case why would they let you guys look at each others answer prior to grading your test. They are again crazy. What kind of classe are they running? I don't know what kind of college classes will allow students to that. So you see your story is fishy... No offense. This just does not make sense to me.

If you story is true take the F or get yourself a lawyer cause you got a case. Don't sign any legal document that can affect your future career objective. What if the school decides to keep that record permanently.

Good luck!!!!!!

5 years is a long time to have that on your record...Even if the person is discriminating, that will not let the "academic dishonesty" go away. I suggest you talk to a dean, any one who is known to stand up for students...if there is no such person, I suggest you try Judicial Services rather than just signing to something that you did not do.

I hope you're not making this up... If you aren't here's my advice..

I think you should just take the 77 grade. Ace the next test, and get it all overwith. It's a sure bet.

Last edited:
I think you should just take the 77 grade. Ace the next test, and get it all overwith. It's a sure bet.

No what on earth....don't listen to this guy. Stand up for yourself. All the problems you will have later on in life will result from you somehow not standing up for yourself and letting other people control your life in a way that is detrimental to your future.

If you did it, fess up, they will eventually find out and you will lose out BIG TIME.

But if you did not do it, do not give in. Fight it and as I stated above, the truth will come out and you will be rewarded.:thumbup: