Academic Enhancer: DIY or Formal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PlatinumRainbow

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I really need to do an academic enhancer Post-Bacc but I am not sure if it is better to go to a Formal program or just take Upper Div science classes at my local State or UC through their extension or open campus programs?

My science GPA is really low (2.7) and I have 3 C's. The rest are B- or B's with only 1 or 2 A's. I know, dismal. Because of that, I got denied from a couple post-bacc programs that I applied to last cycle.

Now, I am not sure if I should reapply to these programs or if I should just do it on my own.

I took the MCAT but I am still waiting for my score. My practice tests were anywhere from a 22 - 27. Thoughts?
 
Well if the choice is limited to DIY and formal post-bacc and you can't get into a post-bacc, then it's a pretty easy choice. DIY. You can't choose an option that isn't working.

Personally, I went the grad school route which for me is working out well although I admit it's not for everyone.
 
Thank you for the quick response! You are still planning to apply to medical school after you finish grad school?

I can apply to program out of CA that aren't as strict but I am not sure if its worth it. It would take a full extra year before I would start and its not a guarantee that I will get accepted. DIY I could start this fall and apply to med school next cycle.

Basically, I am not just not sure if doing a formal program is weighted more heavily or seen as "better" overall in the eyes of med school committee.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the quick response! You are still planning to apply to medical school after you finish grad school?

I can apply to program out of CA that aren't as strict but I am not sure if its worth it. It would take a full extra year before I would start and its not a guarantee that I will get accepted. DIY I could start this fall and apply to med school next cycle.

Basically, I am not just not sure if doing a formal program is weighted more heavily or seen as "better" overall in the eyes of med school committee.
It depends on the med school and the program. Really though, if you aren't taking classes already on a DIY basis, you are not accomplishing anything academically, and are just wasting time (as far as pursuit of medical school goes, that is). Whether or not you plan to complete a formal program, taking classes now and getting A's will only help, and is a better use of your time than waiting to apply the next time, when you might or might not get in again. Yes, some formal programs are very positive to particular medical schools, but those top programs tend to be highly competitive as well, and you have already seen that your GPA is not up to the standards they are looking for, so really, what do you have to lose by doing some courses DIY?
 
It depends on the med school and the program. Really though, if you aren't taking classes already on a DIY basis, you are not accomplishing anything academically, and are just wasting time (as far as pursuit of medical school goes, that is). Whether or not you plan to complete a formal program, taking classes now and getting A's will only help, and is a better use of your time than waiting to apply the next time, when you might or might not get in again. Yes, some formal programs are very positive to particular medical schools, but those top programs tend to be highly competitive as well, and you have already seen that your GPA is not up to the standards they are looking for, so really, what do you have to lose by doing some courses DIY?


That is a great point. Thank you for the input.
I plan on going to a DO school, Western being my first choice. The Masters Post-Bacc program at Western recommended that I retake the classes that I received a C in but that almost seems like a waste of my time too, being that I could be taking Upper Divisions. Not to mention the fact that all (except 1) school that I have asked about retakes does not allow the retake of a passing grade.
 
That is a great point. Thank you for the input.
I plan on going to a DO school, Western being my first choice. The Masters Post-Bacc program at Western recommended that I retake the classes that I received a C in but that almost seems like a waste of my time too, being that I could be taking Upper Divisions. Not to mention the fact that all (except 1) school that I have asked about retakes does not allow the retake of a passing grade.
For DO schools, it is NOT a waste of your time; in fact, re-taking C's helps your GPA for DO schools more than taking upper-level classes. DO schools have grade replacement, where they only count the most recent attempt of each class you have taken, so a re-take erases the old poor grade. In this way, you can improve your DO GPA much more quickly than you can repair your MD GPA. I would follow their suggestion to re-take prior poor grades.
 
Thank you for the quick response! You are still planning to apply to medical school after you finish grad school?

That's the plan. I don't want to threadjack, but you can see more details of what I'm doing if you mine my posting history a bit. For reference, my uGPA is a 2.59, IIRC.

I can apply to program out of CA that aren't as strict but I am not sure if its worth it. It would take a full extra year before I would start and its not a guarantee that I will get accepted. DIY I could start this fall and apply to med school next cycle.

Let me turn this around. If your credentials today aren't sufficient to get you into a PB program, do you think one year of DIY classes will be sufficient to get you into medical school? Or will you then have a pile of new debt and still be on the outside looking in? I don't have the answer, but in your case, this is the question I would be trying to answer. It's good that you're trying to figure out what the best step forward is, considering both feasibility and impact, but that debate needs to go hand in hand with how close each will get you to the promised land.

As others have said, currently you're not doing anything- assuming you have the financial wherewithal, there's no downside to taking courses now regardless of whether or not you'll enter a formal post-bacc in 12 months. There's no downside to this. Good grades will help your ultimate goal of getting into medical school. Bad grades will clue you in that this is probably not your career path before you acquire too much debt.

Basically, I am not just not sure if doing a formal program is weighted more heavily or seen as "better" overall in the eyes of med school committee.

Probably, but let's ignore opinion on the matter and look at data. Post-bacc programs live and die by their success rates of getting students into medical school. Rates > 90% are not uncommon. I don't know what the rate is for DIYers, but I'm going to presume it's not that high. It's not that post-bacc programs are viewed more favorably by ADCOMs. Perhaps they are, but that's not the point. The point is that post-bacc programs have systems and the empirical evidence to show that they work.
 
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all of the help. I'm sure you're correct and I should retake the coursework. I think I have to do it at a private school, though. Bummer on the cost. Although, not that bad if you consider the cost of med school. Thanks again!
 
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all of the help. I'm sure you're correct and I should retake the coursework. I think I have to do it at a private school, though. Bummer on the cost. Although, not that bad if you consider the cost of med school. Thanks again!
Have you looked into retaking courses at a Community College?
 
Have you looked into retaking courses at a Community College?

Yes, I have. I am actually trying to get in to classes. My registration date is not for another week though so it is really hard to get classes. I have a chance of a wait list but only for ochem and physics. General Chemistry is what I really need and that is out. The wait lists are full for those. I have a chance at a private school but they won't tell me how full the classes are at this point so I don't know what it looks like for that. Keeping fingers crossed that ochem and physics will have openings. I did better in those than Gchem but I'll retake all of them if I have to.
 
Yes, I have. I am actually trying to get in to classes. My registration date is not for another week though so it is really hard to get classes. I have a chance of a wait list but only for ochem and physics. General Chemistry is what I really need and that is out. The wait lists are full for those. I have a chance at a private school but they won't tell me how full the classes are at this point so I don't know what it looks like for that. Keeping fingers crossed that ochem and physics will have openings. I did better in those than Gchem but I'll retake all of them if I have to.
Ah, okay. It's a bit tricky when the CC uses a wait list system. Are there any others in the area that don't? When I was signing up to retake orgo at a CC the class was full but since there was no wait list at that school I just sat at my computer and clicked "refresh" constantly for a couple hours each day during the summer until a spot opened up and I grabbed it.

Also remember that at many CC's, returning students get priority registration. If you're willing to wait to take the courses, you could try to sign up for an easy course with empty spots for now so you can get in line earlier in the next term. It can be science course but it doesn't have to be. If you're applying to MD schools, even math courses count towards BCPM. Intro to algebra 1, anyone? 😉
 
Ah, okay. It's a bit tricky when the CC uses a wait list system. Are there any others in the area that don't? When I was signing up to retake orgo at a CC the class was full but since there was no wait list at that school I just sat at my computer and clicked "refresh" constantly for a couple hours each day during the summer until a spot opened up and I grabbed it.

Also remember that at many CC's, returning students get priority enrollment. If you're willing to wait to take the courses, you could try to sign up for an easy course with empty spots for now so you can get in line earlier in the next term. It can be science course but it doesn't have to be.


Unfortunately, there aren't any school in my area (or even 2 hours away) that don't have wait lists. Its kind of the thing here. I think because our CCs are so impacted. The more I think about it, the more I think I will probably have to take 2 years at a CC, retake all my sciences except Bio, and take the Biochem, psych, and soc classes and then retake the MCAT in 2016 before applying to a post-bacc or SMP and then ultimately med school. Its not a race, right? I'll just be 40 by the time I'm a doctor lol (23 now)
 
Unfortunately, there aren't any school in my area (or even 2 hours away) that don't have wait lists. Its kind of the thing here. I think because our CCs are so impacted. The more I think about it, the more I think I will probably have to take 2 years at a CC, retake all my sciences except Bio, and take the Biochem, psych, and soc classes and then retake the MCAT in 2016 before applying to a post-bacc or SMP and then ultimately med school. Its not a race, right? I'll just be 40 by the time I'm a doctor lol (23 now)
You won't be 40 unless you take a really long time or are too picky about where to apply. Even if you take another 4 years to finish your coursework and another year to apply, you'll be 28 when you start, which means 32 when you're a doctor (still pretty young), and 35-37 when you finish residency.
 
You won't be 40 unless you take a really long time or are too picky about where to apply. Even if you take another 4 years to finish your coursework and another year to apply, you'll be 28 when you start, which means 32 when you're a doctor (still pretty young), and 35-37 when you finish residency.


I was being sarcastic 🙂
Thank you for all of the advice though. SDN is awesome for bringing people back to reality 🙂