Academic Forgiveness Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Diva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of any of the Med/D.O. programs that have an Academic Forgiveness Policy?

Academic Forgiveness Policy

An applicant can request that the Admissions Office only include grades from the last five years to calculate overall and prerequisite grade point averages. However, applicants making this request must complete all required core prerequisites within the last five years.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this in the context of medical school. I served on my medical school's admissions committee for 3 years, and I don't believe this issue ever came up. Maybe someone else can respond that know about this.

That aside, it is still possible to get into medical school with bad grades in your past. Depending on your situation, you could repeat your premed courses as a post-bacc, and maybe also do a non-thesis masters in biology. A strong post-bacc and/or graduate GPA, plus strong MCAT scores, could make you a competitive applicant in spite of your past.

I'm speaking in generalities, since I don't know your specific situation. Feel free to ask specific questions about your academic past on this forum or PM me.