Academic Gap for financial reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TastyBrains

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is looking like I may have to take 1-2 semesters off of full time for financial reasons and will only be taking 2-3 classes/semester before returning full time. Would you recommend I just crush other areas (volunteering/clinical) during this period? Will adcoms/med acceptance understand the gap due to financial restraints?

*this is likely going to cost me an additional year anyways so would really like to maximize this time and minimize any negative impact

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you should be fine. Pre-meds are often in this race to finish undergrad and get to med school ASAP, but I feel there are a lot of benefits in taking time to build yourself into a well-rounded person and build stability as well. Chances are that if you are having financial difficulties, you have finance-related stress/anxiety as well. It's good to take care of all of that before you apply/start medical school. And like you said explore extracurricular opportunities to round out your apps as well.

On the application itself, I recall there being several opportunities to explain why you had less of a work-load as well as questions about if you had to work during school to support yourself. Adcoms should be understanding of your situation. Just make sure you ace those few classes you are taking, and if you have time, get some volunteering and shadowing in as well. Make connections and get good letters from people who can vouch for you. These moments stabilizing yourself will make all the difference.

As the other poster stated, there more often then not will be an essay prompt along the lines of "is there anything about your application you'd like to explain further?" Just explain yourself here. Adcoms get that this is the real world and financial constraints exist for a ton fo students. Dont worry about it. Volunteering is probably smart in the interim.